Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WatchFromAfar

Suspended
Jan 26, 2017
Gnome 2 was the only "free" desktop environment I ever found usable, and they ditched it. The others are such garbage that I just opt to not install anything and use the command line + X window server.
Well I'm not a *nix sysadmin like you, just a humble home Xubuntu user.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
Perhaps I should have said "Just like volume Windows PCs and premium Macintosh computers..."

It doesn't really matter... the Macintosh is the only type of computer to run MacOS.

But you knew that ;)
Sounds like you are suggesting there are no premium windows PCs?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Sounds like you are suggesting there are no premium windows PCs?

Yes there are premium Windows PCs. But the vast majority of them are cheaper (volume) Windows PCs.

The average selling price for a Mac is $1,300... while the average selling price for a Windows PC is around half that... at around $600

Why did I mention PCs in the first place?

If you go back to the original comment I was quoting... it was suggested that Apple will end up like Blackberry. That once a critical mass is lost... sales drop very quickly.

My take on it... Apple sells more than enough phones... and I don't see them slowing down to dangerous levels.

It should be noted that Apple only sells rather expensive phones... while everyone else sells cheaper (volume) phones.

But that's OK... because that's Apple niche.

Apple actually has a history of this... in the computer market.

The Mac is a rather expensive product versus the on-average cheaper (volume) Windows PCs.

And the Mac has been around for over 30 years... despite the onslaught of these cheaper PCs.

It was a long way for me to say... "I don't think the iPhone will end up like Blackberry." :)

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
... by selling knockoff Mercedes sedans.

(the black one is Hyundai, white is Mercedes)

The white one is uglier and Daimler lower end models are more cheaply made these days compared to older models. It also resembles a previous Lexus model anyhow. Very much like the current iPhone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The white one is uglier and Daimler lower end models are more cheaply made these days compared to older models. It also resembles a previous Lexus model anyhow. Very much like the current iPhone.
Thank you for reminding us of the difference between objective and subjective. Uglier is an opinion.

dilbert99

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2012
It was a long way for me to say... "I don't think the iPhone will end up like Blackberry." :)
They won't end up like Blackberry as long as they still provide added value to people and nothing better comes along.
Personally, I've switched back to PC for my main device after about 13 years with Apple, now I'm considering what to do with my 3 year old iPhone 6. I replaced my sons iPhone hand me down with a new Samsung phone, so he was happy to get a newer phone.
Once people start to get a mix of devices in a household, Apple is not so shiny with compatibility issues.
Yes, my story is anecdotal and I also don't think iPhone will end up like Blackberry any time soon.

hotgril

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
Artsakh, Armenia
I'm not a fan either. They're trying to be hip/sporty like BMW with their low-end sedans, and it doesn't fit. Just like how BMW can't make a big luxury sedan that looks nice like a Mercedes (gawd the 7 series is ugly).
[doublepost=1501923726][/doublepost]
Well I'm not a *nix sysadmin like you, just a humble home Xubuntu user.
Actually, I'm putting a disclaimer in my signature now. I'm more of a de facto sysadmin, forced into being the manager of a few development servers in a startup only because nobody else among us can do it, plus a bunch of other random servers for personal and academic use. I'm not one of those pro dedicated people who manage racks and racks.

Last edited:
Reactions: WatchFromAfar

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
... by selling knockoff Mercedes sedans.

(the black one is Hyundai, white is Mercedes)

How is it a knockoff when they share very little similarities. Besides, the hyundai looks better than the mercedes...what is up with the dual headlights.

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
They won't end up like Blackberry as long as they still provide added value to people and nothing better comes along.
Personally, I've switched back to PC for my main device after about 13 years with Apple, now I'm considering what to do with my 3 year old iPhone 6. I replaced my sons iPhone hand me down with a new Samsung phone, so he was happy to get a newer phone.
Once people start to get a mix of devices in a household, Apple is not so shiny with compatibility issues.
Yes, my story is anecdotal and I also don't think iPhone will end up like Blackberry any time soon.
That is not my quote.

Reactions: dilbert99

Avon B7

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
Better design and quality? Where's Huawei's OS? Where's Huawei's custom SoCs? You can't omit those things from design and quality considerations. Huawei doesn't even attempt to include them.

SoC?

Google 'Kirin' or 'Kirin 970' if you want the latest.

You are clearly speaking without knowing what you are speaking about.

Huawei is at the very least, equal to Apple on design and build quality on flagships. It is ahead in areas like battery tech etc.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
Um the Huawei makes it own soc and is using some serious hardware in there phones.this is not a cheap China phone they go for 700+ on eBay for the plus ones and are a huge threat to Samsung and apple.

They fabricate a standard ARM processor. Apple designs its own implementation of the ARM standard that has proven more efficient than the Qualcomm and other standard variants. An Apple A9 dual core processor is as powerful as the Qualcomm four core and uses less power.

Big difference.
[doublepost=1502405741][/doublepost]
Something else could also come along and make Android and IOS irrelevant.

Maybe but to do that it would have to be more than a mobile OS. It will need a rich ecosystem of Apps; without one it’s hard to gain traction. See Microsoft phone for case in point.

In order to get the numbers you would have to offer the OS for a price nearest to your cheapest competitor. Google gives Android away for free and subsidizes that through it search and ad revenue. Unless this new competitor is flush with billions - not sure that will happen too easily.
[doublepost=1502405918][/doublepost]
SoC?

Google 'Kirin' or 'Kirin 970' if you want the latest.

You are clearly speaking without knowing what you are speaking about.

Huawei is at the very least, equal to Apple on design and build quality on flagships. It is ahead in areas like battery tech etc.

Not to burst the Kirin bubble but the core of this chip is the Arm Cortex — Previous versions licensed Qualcomm’s cores. It’s also a bit late sand the 970 doesn’t materially improve over the 960 core despite the smaller 10nm process.

http://wccftech.com/snapdragon-845-kirin-970-specs-leak/
[doublepost=1502406472][/doublepost]
How is it a knockoff when they share very little similarities. Besides, the hyundai looks better than the mercedes...what is up with the dual headlights.

As a Mercedes and Porsche owner —- I can equivacobly say the Hyundai is not better looking or better driving or better built. Not even close.

Avon B7

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
They fabricate a standard ARM processor. Apple designs its own implementation of the ARM standard that has proven more efficient than the Qualcomm and other standard variants. An Apple A9 dual core processor is as powerful as the Qualcomm four core and uses less power.

Big difference.
[doublepost=1502405741][/doublepost]

Maybe but to do that it would have to be more than a mobile OS. It will need a rich ecosystem of Apps; without one it’s hard to gain traction. See Microsoft phone for case in point.

In order to get the numbers you would have to offer the OS for a price nearest to your cheapest competitor. Google gives Android away for free and subsidizes that through it search and ad revenue. Unless this new competitor is flush with billions - not sure that will happen too easily.
[doublepost=1502405918][/doublepost]

Not to burst the Kirin bubble but the core of this chip is the Arm Cortex — Previous versions licensed Qualcomm’s cores. It’s also a bit late sand the 970 doesn’t materially improve over the 960 core despite the smaller 10nm process.

http://wccftech.com/snapdragon-845-kirin-970-specs-leak/
[doublepost=1502406472][/doublepost]

As a Mercedes and Porsche owner —- I can equivacobly say the Hyundai is not better looking or better driving or better built. Not even close.

No bubble burst. The OP claimed Huawei didn't have its own SoC. That is wrong. Very wrong. The cores being licensed? Yes, just like Apple licencing tech on the iPhone. It is the final design that counts. Huawei has its own IP on the Same and while you chose to reference a leak, the president of Huawei went on record as saying the next Huawei Flagship (with the 970) will be more powerful than the 960.

And it isn't only previous designs that used QC tech. They still do on some phones, which perhaps is why the OP claimed they didn't have their own SoC.

cgsnipinva

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2013
Leesburg, VA
No bubble burst. The OP claimed Huawei didn't have its own SoC. That is wrong. Very wrong. The cores being licensed? Yes, just like Apple licencing tech on the iPhone. It is the final design that counts. Huawei has its own IP on the Same and while you chose to reference a leak, the president of Huawei went on record as saying the next Huawei Flagship (with the 970) will be more powerful than the 960.

And it isn't only previous designs that used QC tech. They still do on some phones, which perhaps is why the OP claimed they didn't have their own SoC.

Actually Apple doesn't license the cores - they developed their own proprietary implementation of the ARM standard. They are starting to do the same with GPUs.

We still have to wait to see if the 970 is as powerful as its claimed.

Avon B7

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
Actually Apple doesn't license the cores - they developed their own proprietary implementation of the ARM standard. They are starting to do the same with GPUs.

We still have to wait to see if the 970 is as powerful as its claimed.

Yes. That's why I didn't mention 'cores'. I was referring to technology IP in general, including, but not limited to, the GPU implementation.

Yes, regarding your comment on the Kirin 970 too. We will have to wait and see. I think the cores will be pretty clear (rumours abound in that sense) but the rest could be interesting. GPU, DSP, embedded AI, co-processors etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.