Huawei Surpasses Apple to Become #2 Worldwide Smartphone Vendor in Q2 2018

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Shanghaichica macrumors G4

Shanghaichica

I do buy other devices. I have an iPhone as my daily driver but also an android phone. I used android for 2.5 years as my daily driver before I came back to the iPhone in 2014 so if I wanted to I could easily pick up on android again.

I like trying out new things, outside of Apple’s ecosystem which is why I have other devices. They don’t quite do what I need so they don’t replace my Apple ones as primary devices. However I’m not afraid of trying new things.

However you won’t get me to try another windows machine.

2. Lankyman macrumors 68000

But they are, have you not read today's report which shows the cheaper 2018 iPad is turning around Apple's fortunes in the Tablet market?

I myself have one, very good it is too and cheaper than the Android tablet I had been considering

3. FFR macrumors 601

FFR

So your saying a mule and buggy wouldn’t get you from point a to point b? Wasn’t that your point. Cheaper alternatives?

So answer the question, how is Apple extorting you?

4. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

I just pay for Office 365 Home with Onedrive as the cloud storage where I can have five accounts.

Anyways I need MS Office for collaboration. Google drive I use it only for pictures. Also, I have FLIKR etc..

My iCloud 50 GB package was good in my region by it is too small and bigger storage are more expensive and unnecessary once I signed up Office 365.

5. J.Dillinger macrumors member

Apple can keep doing what they're doing to push the iPhone forward as far as I'm concerned. I've been very happy with the iPhone X and the camera is stellar. All I want if for them to get some cool looking colors. The color gradient on that Huawei phone looks fresh. I'm really tired of black and white on the iPhone X. The iPhone color scheme is boring and bland.

6. LovingTeddy, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2018

LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Yes. I am enjoying my Huawei phones. I enjoy it more than iPhone. By the way, Huawei let's you manage permissions as well. So does Google

Attached Files:

7. I7guy, Aug 2, 2018

I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

From @Abazigal perspective, it's the way things are. For him, being all in works to his advantage, rather than to have a sub-par patchwork of multi-ecosystem devices. So from that perspective, your post sounds a bit ignorant. Additionally, overpriced is a judgement call. You don't like the hardware fine. But someone does as evidence by Apples' market cap.

8. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Apple owns the only devices that carry iOS. As long as people want iOS, Apple can do whatever they want. Higher prices, sure. Losing jacks, sure! Notch, great. Battery, keyboard, etc issues, no big deal! These other manufacturers carry Android. You can throw your own skin on top but fact is, Android is still open source. With the right devices, you can still modify it any way you want.

So it's between diehard iOS fans and everyone else. Huawei, Samsung, etc, they are all just competing with each other. They can't compete with Apple because Apple is a monopoly!

9. dilbert99 macrumors 68020

Every company in history has changed that over time.

10. Applemaniac7 Suspended

Because... when you have spent so much time pulling it down. "Cos it's not ios" you now find yourself in the awkward position that even though you realise its a superior os, you would look mighty foolish to come out and admit so..

11. I7guy, Aug 6, 2018

I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I honestly have no idea of what you are talking about. For me Android is not a superior o/s (IOS is) and Huawei is not a phone manufacturer I am interesting in buying from. Market share is irrelevant, number of phones shipped is irrelevant. Revenue and profit are what drives the business.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Moderator Note:

Quite a few off topic posts arguing about Windows have been removed. Please stay on topic.

13. Koh Phi Phi, Sep 12, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2018

Koh Phi Phi macrumors regular

Koh Phi Phi

This is so incorrect at so many levels... Apple is NOT a monopoly! You know, tech consumers are not cult members. They do compare market offers and do change purchasing habits... specially if their favorite brand keeps messing up!

I had been a diehard Apple consumer for a decade: multiple iPhones, Macbook Pros, iMacs, iPads, etc. I have spent tens of thousands of dollars in Apple products over the years...

Until I said ENOUGH!

I was NOT ok losing the headphone jack on my iPhone 7. I was NOT ok with my Macbook Pro butterfly keyboard breaking on me. I was NOT ok with iOS falling behind Android in key features (flexible multi-tasking, proper file management/navigation, etc). I was NOT ok with having just one port in my Macbook 12", etc...

Consequence? a few months back I decided to leave the Apple ecosystem.

So, I went out to the mall, and I spent my yearly $4,000 dose of tech... but this time around I did NOT spend it at the Apple store. Instead, I got myself a Surface Book 2, a Galaxy Note 8 and a Huawei Mediapad tablet.

Guess what? I'm happy as a puppy, and once I got over the adaptation period, I'm 100% convinced that Android is a superior operating system.

So... nop, Apple is certainly not a monopoly. There are options out there that give Apple a run for their money.