Huh? This is GLOSSY??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shreddy, Mar 17, 2008.

1. shreddy macrumors regular

Well I've just unpacked my MBP... after waiting 3 weeks due to ordering a 17" GLOSSY I'm a little concerned cos I think the screen is in fact a MATTE! :eek: Is there a 100% sure fire way to check - like the screen part number (where do I find this?)??

It is indeed a fine screen, but I'm just not convinced it's glossy. Plus the brightness keeps going up and down of its own accord even as I type this. I'll do a search to see if there's threads about that already.

OK so here's some pics:

Here you can see the MBP & my alu iMac behind it. Spot the difference in glossiness?

[​IMG]

This one shows relections off my old Vaio S2XP glossy (S270 in the US?), comapred to the MBP:

[​IMG]

And here you can see diffused light on the screen, which to me is screaming out "THIS IS A MATTE SCREEN, DUH!" :p

[​IMG]

What do you folks think? Am I going mad? :eek:

2. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Looks like a matte to me. The glossy's really are glossy.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I'm outside and using a MacBook, and it definitely looks matte to me. If it were glossy, you would know it.

5. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

6. johnellisdm macrumors member

prolly your best bet is to read the matte vs. glossy thread and hope that it convinces you to be happy with matte :rolleyes:

7. zerohp macrumors member

I received my 17" glossy today. You have a matte screen, its not even close.

8. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

What?

9. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Your issue with the brightness going up and down is probably the "Automatically adjust brightness" setting in the Display control panel...at least I think that is where it is...

10. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Note: the brightness will adjust automatically according to many factors (by default - you can change them in system preferences):

- Dimming display when using battery.
    - Dimming display just before display sleep.
    - dimming/brightening display according to ambient light.

If you don't like any of these features go to system preferences.

11. sjb macrumors regular

I agree that it doesn't look glossy. Maybe both of you can compare model #'s on the box (I think that is how you can differentiate glossy vs matte).

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Call Apple and demand a replacement. I'll bet you dime to a doughnut that someone out there ordered a matte screen and got a glossy.

TEG

13. shreddy thread starter macrumors regular

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.... :mad:

I just can't believe after waiting 3 very very long weeks to the day that they actually screwed up my order :eek: It should say GLOSSY (or GL?) somewhere on the label on the box right? Doesn't.

Presumably if I get them to correct this mistake I'm going to be MBP-less as they'll want this one back before they ship a new one? And the UK store is still showing 2-3 week delays on 17" glossies :(

14. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I'm willing to bet that if you're nice enough and you get a nice person, they'll let you keep the MBP until you get your new one.

15. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

When I bought my 15" MBP a few weeks ago from an Apple Retail store I requested a glossy, too. Guy gave me a box that was not marked glossy or matte. He went to check in the back and was allegedly told that a box that does not delineate matte or glossy contains a glossy as that is the default. I found this to be untrue when I came home to find a matte monitor inside.

Frankly, I have grown to enjoy my matte, but to each their own. I would suggest looking at the box itself. Does it specifically state glossy? If not, you are holding a matte. I believe a box with a glossy monitor would specifically state glossy on the product description on the box.

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Exactly, and if you make a big enough of a fuss, they will overnight it to you and perhaps give you a discount.

TEG

17. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

ha sucks.
    ya looks matte as the glossy when its off you can use it as a mirror almost:cool:

18. shreddy thread starter macrumors regular

Yup that was that one... one problem down lol

19. skiesforme macrumors 6502

skiesforme

Get mad on Apple to thrash them and get a handsome discount for their mistake. It's a Matte !!
    I have a glossy MBP and a MB. So I have no doubt it's a Matte. Glossy is like a mirror. If you flash your camera on it, you would get startled by the reflection :D

20. shreddy thread starter macrumors regular

Well I have to bottle up my anger until 8am now as the store is now closed. Maybe not a bad thing as I'll probably be somewhat more civil in the morning! ;)

Maybe I should at least push for a 5400 -> 7200 upgrade hehe

21. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

its beyond me why anyone would even WANT a glossy screen:rolleyes:

22. iJesus macrumors 6502a

iJesus

I ordered a glossy, thank you.

It's just personal preference.

23. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Here we go again... :)

24. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

hey if you like seeing your reflection in your monitor be my guest..i just dont get it

25. Animalk macrumors 6502

The glossy vs. matte fanboyism is getting very old very fast.

That is a matte screen in the OP. I chose glossy out of personnal preference. Not because it makes me a better person.