Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chasemac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2005
In a house.
hulu free with ads on the pc great! Hulu at $10 per month with ads on moblie devices not so great. Not worth it to me. I would rather have netflix.

iMacThere4Iam

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2009
$9.99 a month with ads? Does it have all the content from Hulu.com? Sounds like they are getting greedy. Give me ads or give me a fee...not both.

Hey Hulu, the $9.99 is yours, if you keep those damn ads away from me. There's got to be some place to go to get relief from commercials.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Any idea how f'ng annoying it is to see this article posted with a big black box saying "sorry Hulu is not available in your area".

I guess they still support torrents for non-American residents.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
lol, $10 per month. Get real hulu.

It is sad to see all these mainstream content providers trying to cash in on this device. You want to charge me for an app? Fine. But take your monthly fees for content I can get free on a 'land based' web browser and shove them.

I'm not your cash cow just because I am mobile. I paid for my device and I've paid for my Internet access just like the land lovers.

Content you get for free? Please share with the rest of us where you're able to watch more than the five most recent episodes of any new season, legally.

Hulu Plus doesn't become irrelevant because your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Content you get for free? Please share with the rest of us where you're able to watch more than the five most recent episodes of any new season, legally.

Hulu Plus doesn't become irrelevant because your reading comprehension skills are lacking.

"Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free."

I didn't write their slogan.

Full of Win

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2007
Ask Apple
I'm sorry I forgot you don't have Tabbed browsing on your computer? Or that while you are watching it streaming from your xbox, you can't mute it and open up any other of your media devices to do what every you'd like while the commercial passes.

Really, I can do tabbed apps on my iPad? Really, come over and show me how. Yeah, you can't.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Everything I'd like except continue watching you mean.

Hulu has more commercials because they are competing with zero commercial content viewed by me on cable/FIOS in the last several years since they invented skip ahead

I don't understand what your first sentence means. And good for you that the Tivo was invented?

No Hulu doesn't have more commercials. Hulu has less commercials which was my exact point, but you keep ignoring the actual truth by telling saying things like "Hulu has more commercial's because I skip cable/satellite commercials because I have a DVR"

While this is true that if a hypothetical person uses a DVR he is going to get less commercials then a almost anywhere. He/she still has to skip through the 8 or so minutes per 30 minute show, but he or she does not have to watch it. This is true.

But again, back to my original point. Hulu has less commercials in a 90 minute showing then a 30 minute TV showing.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Well I pay for HBO and don't have ads there. It's 10 bucks too.

So would you pay $10 per month per network if it was ad free and uncensored? Not attacking, just curious.

EDIT:
I would suspect that Hulu would eventually try to get HBO/Cinemax/etc by adding a fee to your hulu $10 subscription.

iSingandiDance

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Why do I feel like one of the major providers - Comcast, Verizon, or DirecTv - will come out with something similar to this, but will allow for live streaming television content.

Oh how I wish. :rolleyes:

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
think about this.

You pay probably on average 100 dollars or more a month for cable. (I pay 140 for internet + tv) and i myself watch maybe 20 tv channels and maybe 2 shows per channel.

now hulu, offers a majority of the shows most people watch anytime, in hd, on many more places then just your tv.

The only thing that is keeping me from just using hulu + netflix is for live sports.

I'm not saying this is gonna work for everyone or its gonna make people quit there cable. But its an important step to breaking the cable monopoly on entertainment. Like how netflix took down blockbuster and Hollywood video.

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
Do we have a thread yet for users sharing referral codes to get into the premium service? I remember we used to have an ongoing thread similar to what Im asking with boxee.

gekkota

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
Since Hulu is still going allow the most recent 5 episodes to be viewed for free online, will this also be offered on the Hulu app? I'm really not all that interested in watching old shows--I mainly use Hulu to watch a recent episode I might have missed. Will this be possible with this new app...or do we have to pay the monthly fee to access the newer shows. Has this even been addressed yet?

wytworm

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I don't understand what your first sentence means. And good for you that the Tivo was invented?

No Hulu doesn't have more commercials. Hulu has less commercials which was my exact point, but you keep ignoring the actual truth by telling saying things like "Hulu has more commercial's because I skip cable/satellite commercials because I have a DVR"

While this is true that if a hypothetical person uses a DVR he is going to get less commercials then a almost anywhere. He/she still has to skip through the 8 or so minutes per 30 minute show, but he or she does not have to watch it. This is true.

But again, back to my original point. Hulu has less commercials in a 90 minute showing then a 30 minute TV showing.

I don't have to do anything, it just skips on its own. Zero effort, zero adds. Zero monthly fee for the DVR, just paying for cable.

You are truncating the statement inappropriately to feed your argument. To be honest, you would say what the argument really is: "Hulu has more commercial's because I skip cable/satellite commercials because I have a DVR and because there is no way to skip on Hulu."

If I have to watch but 1 commercial on Hulu it has already exceeded the amount of commercials i have had to watch currently...and I would have paid for the pleasure of watching that unavoidable ad.

The other point is it isn't hypothetical. It is happening today. Every day. for the last 5+ years.

The first sentence was a response to your misspelled response to another poster. You claim i can do what every [sic] I want while waiting for the commercial to pass. I am pointing out that I cannot do whatever I want. What I want is to keep watching uninterrupted.

wytworm

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Reruns are ad supported as well, DVD sales of TV shows is a relatively new revenue stream and PPV/VOD aren't really factors when it comes to TV shows. There is also merchandising but how lucrative that is varies greatly between shows (i.e. Star Trek has much more merchandising potential than Grey's Anatomy). Ad sales is the life blood of TV and has been since the days of Texico Star Theater.

The $20 billion vs $200 million comparison I made was based on ad sales only and I did it to help illustrate one of the biggest obstacles content creators (not just big studios but small players as well) face trying to move from 'old media' to 'new media.' As old media continues to lose ground to new media the cost of new media will inevitably have to go up, IMO, because it won't be able to be subsidized by old media anymore.

Lethal

This is exactly right. They cannot figure a way to make it worth it for anyone to pay what the content would cost without the ads being in there...The content itself is not worth it. They desperately fear the rise of an a la carte system because 99.9% of what they produce would not sell without it getting bundled with other high quality stuff.

Star56

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
$10 a month is an excellent price. The service will sell like hotcakes.

If your poor I understand, but 33 cents a day for access to these shows is a deal.

mspringfield

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Really, I can do tabbed apps on my iPad? Really, come over and show me how. Yeah, you can't.

Sure you can. It's called Perfect Web Browser. $2.99 in the app store. Faster than Safari plus it has tabs, multi-finger taps and swipes, it will even fool web pages into thinking that you have the desktop version Chrome, Opera, Firefox or IE so you don't get those annoying mobile browser pages. Plus tons of other useful features.

mspringfield

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Although I think that $9.99 a month is a bit steep, especially with ads, I will still give it a shot. If for no other reason than I can use it on my iPad along with Netflix.

They will apparently offer the "Current Season Ticket" as part of the package. By comparison iTunes is anywhere from $20-60/season/show for the same thing. If I have to "watch" a 20 second commercial to save that much money then so be it.

One thing we don't know yet is how many "Ads" are there, how long are they and how are they structured? A 30 second as every 5 minutes is too much. A 30 second ad halfway through and episode is tolerable. A small banner at the bottom of the screen once in a while, I can ignore completely.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
"Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free."

I didn't write their slogan.

They forgot to add "Only if you are in the U.S." to the end of their slogan.

Here in Canada even though we get all the major U.S. networks on cable/sat, we still don't have access to Hulu or any of the major network video services (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc). Americans should enjoy Hulu and Netflix at whatever price because the rest of the world just gets a screen with the message "not available in your country"

(Not that I am blaming America as it is more than likely a Canadian rule/law that prevents it!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.