Hurricane Irma

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Sep 5, 2017.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Irma is currently a cat 5 hurricane nearing the Windward and Leeward islands. With it's eyes set on Florida.

This could be the first time in recorded history that two cat 4 or higher storms hit the US mainland in the same season.

Stay safe everyone in it's path.

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

Here's to hoping it dissipates by the time it hits land. Stay safe.

3. MacNut, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2017

MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The current track takes it near the Florida Keys. After that it's anyones guess. Some models take up up the gulf side, others up the east coast side. And some right up the middle.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Sounds terrible. Last thing you guys need.
    Stay safe.

5. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

6. hallux macrumors 68030

hallux

The Red Cross in my area (Capital Region, NY) is already staging some folks to the South to prepare. They have also been running "bootcamps" for new volunteers to spend 2 weeks at a clip in disaster areas, helping in shelters and wherever needed.

I've been tempted to go to one of those bootcamps but getting the day off for that then the 2 weeks to go to the disaster area may be tough.

7. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

This one has me a bit nervous. My girlfriend lost her roof last October from hurricane Matthew. I lost a bunch of shingles but repaired it with tar temporarily. The waiting list for a new roof is so long. Before hurricane Irma I was slated to get a roof done in December. I packed up all my important paperwork and photographs into watertight containers. I also backed up a bunch of stuff to iCloud. I cannot watch the weather channel anymore or the local news coverage because they're all sensationalizing. To make things worse, I will most probably will be spending a few shifts at the hospital during the storm. I don't like being away from my home during hurricanes or bad storms.

8. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

We actually had a trip planned down to Orlando, I think we're going to go anyway, if we're looking at an ecav, we'll take both cars, load up the critical equipment, if winds up being mostly a miss for us, we'll just take one car, stay an extra day or two. We also have an additional suite booked for a few days about 10 miles from the coast/house, so that's a contingency plan in case there's a massive northern evac that prevents any kind of south bound travel.

Where are you at in Florida?

9. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

It could be the strongest Atlantic Hurricane ever. Scary, I would start evacuating if you live in Miami before the traffic gets really bad.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

11. Zenithal macrumors 604

Unless I misread earlier today, it's theorized that Hurricanes Jose and Katia are also projected to hit Florida if not the gulf. Christ on a bike.

Having done some light reading before dinner, it appears that our rating system is based on wind speed and wind speed alone. It doesn't take into account the amount of rain, surges or other weather related stuff. So if the systems slow to a crawl, but keep drowning the SE US in water for days if not a week or more, then wouldn't that be far more dangerous? Wouldn't that cause more floods than wind damage and the systems breezing by, pun not intended?

12. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Yes. That would be far worse. We saw that with TS Danny. It stalled off the coast for almost a week, drenching everything. Trees fell with no wind, just because the roots couldn't hang on to mud.

All my relatives are now in Jax, and I can't convince them to leave. I worked through Katrina, first as a shelter manager, and then working phones at the EOC. I saw some things. If Irma doesn't take that northern turn, I'm leaving. Glad I'm out of the service.

Of course, if Irma is as big as it seems, everyone from FL to east TX is in for a lot more rain. Yippee. :(

13. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

Katia will hit Mexico, Jose is going to swing north and then out to sea.

14. Tech198 macrumors G5

Wow..... Not having a good year....

15. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

It would be easier for those of us in southwest Florida to stay safe if we knew where the thing was going! But we have the shutters on and are prepared. Good excuse for a road trip to see family...

16. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The current track has it making landfall near Miami and running up the eastern side and exiting near Daytona Beach.

17. Apple fanboy macrumors Nehalem

Apple fanboy

Don't envy you guys. Hope it looses a bit of gusto. Stay safe. Remember things can be replaced, people can't.
    Don't take unnecessary risks.

18. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

True, but it can turn between now and Sunday. As well, it is huge- it's still going to make a big mess one that path even in my neck of the woods, south of Tampa.

19. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The wind field will be huge, so the whole state will feel hurricane winds. The big issue as always will be who gets the main storm surge.

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

21. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

The Weather Channel took some heat for their 10 day graphic earlier in the week.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

As they should have.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Where in SW Florida?? I'm from Port Charlotte

24. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Just up the street in Parrish. Lived in North Port for a bit as well.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I made the mistake of pulling up the Weather Channel's website. Apparently they have an article up saying that Irma is so powerful that it has set off earthquake sensors.

How much of that is true is hard to tell, seeing that there are some active faults in the Caribbean, but depending where those faults are (read: beneath the ocean floor), that would be a hard sell. But apparently, Irma came up on those sensors as background noise.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-so-strong-registering-as-earthquake

Here's hoping that Florida gets by without any major damage, which may appear to be the last of it, as TS Jose now has become a Category 1 Hurricane, but doesn't look to threaten the US yet.

Speaking of, anyone keeping track of the wind patterns in the Gulf of Mexico? Hurricane Katia just formed there, and winds aloft there generally tend to run west to northeast (clockwise), so the Houston area may get another hurricane coming its way. :(

BL.