Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Other companies have tried this before and failed. Until you can recharge it with hydrogen anywhere they are pointless and doomed to failure.

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
Warning, if Upp begins to smoke, run away.

Upp Recharger may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.

Do not taunt Upp Recharger.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Let me package this will all the subscription-ware companies are trying to sell me and it will only cost me $500/month to lead a more productive life. The future is now folks!

Gaspode67

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Oxon, UK
So you're paying $9/week for a device that can charge your phone? Am I understanding that right? If so, that seems colossally stupid.

It's not quite like that. It's a) not a weekly fee, and b) it doesn't stop working a week after you've bought it.

It's basically the same as an external battery pack, except instead of charging that pack from the wall, you buy a cartridge that contains enough energy in it to charge a "nominal" device" for normal use continuously for a week. If you use it as a back-up for when you are, say, out camping, at a festival, going mountain-biking through the National Parks, etc, not near a handy mains socket, the cartridge will last a lot longer. That energy isn't going anywhere! If you're using your phone as a sat-nav through the day, having a back-up that is not reliant on having a mains socket isn't stupid, it's common sense.

The £5.95 per cartridge isn't bad. It's the initial price that needs to come down to get wider adoption, but can only happen over time as this sort of thing becomes more widespread. The idea of being able to hand in your old cartridges for new will also help wo keep the costs down, as they'll be able to re-charge them and put them back into the supply chain again and again.

bsimpsen

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
The stated capacity of a $9 replacement fuel cell is 25 Watt-Hours. The capacity of a fresh $1.25 Energizer D battery is 31.5 Watt-Hours. The replaceable fuel cartridge alone is considerably larger than a D cell.

Rayovac makes a AA battery powered USB charger for $10.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-PS73-4B-Rayovac-7-Hour-4-AA-Alkaline-USB-Charger/26359020

Four AA batteries ($1 to $4, depending on quantity and merchant) provide 16 WH of power and are readily available almost anywhere.

I cannot think of an angle to play here that makes the Upp device look anything but foolish.

Gaspode67

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Oxon, UK
Let me package this will all the subscription-ware companies are trying to sell me and it will only cost me $500/month to lead a more productive life. The future is now folks!

It's NOT a weekly subscription/fee! It's a per cartridge fee. If you only need to use it occasionally, you may find you only need 5 to 10 cartridges a year, maybe even less.

Ed217

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2012
Virginia
You can buy small home chargeable battery packs that can fully change an iPhone 1 to 5 times for small $. The lip stick size are less than $20. Anker has a range of these that work well and require nothing special.

cogitodexter

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Naaaaaaarfolk, England
Hmm... an expensive explosive way to do something I can do a LOT cheaper if I use the conventional way without the risk of explosions and that doesn't ban me from aircraft?

Count me in!

/s

danielwsmithee

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2005
Interesting Technology

But why would you ever want to buy one of those for that price and the need to replace cartridges for additional money when you could just get one of these.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10831&cs_id=1083110&p_id=10392&seq=1&format=2

For the price of the Hydrogen solution you could get 10 of those. My phone can last about 3-4 days using this external battery to recharge. Your really not gaining anything over existing solutions and paying 10X more.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Nice.. Time for Apple to buy them and then shut them down to reduce competition...

By the way.. what is the advantage again of this thing to carrying around a regular charger other than the extra money spent for the fuel cells, massive size, extra weight, hissing sound and the 'weird' odour???.. Oh yes.. some extra hours of energy to browse the web when you are in the middle of Amazon.. without internet connection..

WOW - I want you around when I get bad news from my doctor to cheer me up.

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
Lovely tech but pointless and expensive.

£6 for 5 charges and you have to fine a place that sells the hydrogen.

No thanks.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
Good luck taking a hydrogen canister on the plane with you when you travel.

YEP:

"What's That Sir?"
"A Hydrogen powered battery."
"A what?"
"A Hydrogen powered battery."
"Sir if you wouldn't mind stepping over there. You can call your family and tell them you won't be on this flight, while I confiscate everything in your possession, and add you to the NO FLY list."

Rossatron

macrumors 6502a
Pocket-lint went hands-on with the Upp and pointed out that the device advises the user to charge the fuel cell itself in a traditional wall-socket manner before attaching a cartridge and a device needing charge. Not doing so may massively undercut the company's "one-week of charge" claim, but could still feasibly provide a handful of zero to 100% charges.

so basically you charge it in order to charge stuff :p:D

chiefsilverback

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
This is a tech in its infancy and it needs people to start using it to begin the cycles of evolution that will see a hydrogen powered tablet at some point in the future.

My understanding is that it's actually got 2 parts to it. It has a battery that can be charged from the mains and a fuel cell that can be used to top up the battery?

To get the maximum 'life' of the product they recommend you charge the battery at home and then use the hyrdrogen to once the battery has depleted.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Nice.. Time for Apple to buy them and then shut them down to reduce competition...

that doesn't even make any sense. apple doesn't have any hydrogen charging competitors because they don't use it themselves.

also, who has apple bought to shut down and silenced? they bought iTunes and siri and incorporated them both as a main features.

rGiskard

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2012
DOA.

For the same money, one could buy several Li-ion battery packs and charge his devices for years before needing any replacement packs. Li-ion cells are very light so they're good for backpacking and camping as well.

I must admit though that this Upp could make a killer IED in the right hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.