The Tos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Buffalo, New York
The only thing driving me nuts are so many apps still not optimized for this phone. I love the phone and think its great, except for this issue. I cannot stand the pillar boxes on the top and bottom of soooooo many of these apps.

And yes, I understand and respect the fact it might take devs time to update their apps properly. But the phone has been out for almost a month, not counting the time prior to release when the specs were readily available.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G3
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
The only thing driving me nuts are so many apps still not optimized for this phone. I love the phone and think its great, except for this issue. I cannot stand the pillar boxes on the top and bottom of soooooo many of these apps.

And yes, I understand and respect the fact it might take devs time to update their apps properly. But the phone has been out for almost a month, not counting the time prior to release when the specs were readily available.

It's almost exactly like using an 8. Doesn't bother me too much but what DOES bother me is that 75% of the apps on my phone that haven't been updated are from Google.

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Yup, my bank rarely releases updates for their app so it'll be a long time before I see them support iPhone X. Here's the most frustrating part, in order to use the app, it has to actually recognize the iPhone you're using. Since the current app is not yet optimized for the X, it gives an error saying phone not supported. It worked fine on my 7+ though.

Instead I have to use the mobile site.

Reactions: bhodinut and tkukoc

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Yup, my bank rarely releases updates for their app so it'll be a long time before I see them support iPhone X. Here's the most frustrating part, in order to use the app, it has to actually recognize the iPhone you're using. Since the current app is not yet optimized for the X, it gives an error saying phone not supported. It worked fine on my 7+ though.

Yup yup same issue, that's horrible! I get locking down a system but if you already have a password/login and account details I should be able to get in no matter what. I thought about switching banks previously when my bank didn't jump on Apple Pay.. then they got it 4 months later which was a nice surprise. Now I'm thinking about switching again because their application updates are slim to none and there's lots of features missing, not just X support. Sounds dumb, I know.. :(

Jordan921

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Yup yup same issue, that's horrible! I get locking down a system but if you already have a password/login and account details I should be able to get in no matter what. I thought about switching banks previously when my bank didn't jump on Apple Pay.. then they got it 4 months later which was a nice surprise. Now I'm thinking about switching again because their application updates are slim to none and there's lots of features missing, not just X support. Sounds dumb, I know.. :(

I don’t think it’s dumb at all. If they don’t wanna keep their app up to date, it’s time to move to a bank that will.

akash.nu

macrumors G3
May 26, 2016

This issue is more than just minor UI updates, I’m sure there’s something happening down the pipeline if users can’t use the app at all.

I don’t think it’s dumb at all. If they don’t wanna keep their app up to date, it’s time to move to a bank that will.

I’m sure updating for just some fancy UI changes for a specific model is least of the priorities for a bank. Especially where the usability of the app has not been impacted at all.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Amen to that. Hope some of these app developers hurry up. Haven’t they had emulators for a while?
They have, but it's a matter of return on investment. Most of the major apps I use have been updated, except for Google because they just don't care enough. For the smaller guys, their app was probably free, or they won't get additional income from updating it. It's the sad state of the iOS app store for many.

The Tos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Buffalo, New York
They have, but it's a matter of return on investment. Most of the major apps I use have been updated, except for Google because they just don't care enough. For the smaller guys, their app was probably free, or they won't get additional income from updating it. It's the sad state of the iOS app store for many.

Things like supercell havent updated their games yet, major company in that field.

jhearty99

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Long Island, NY

Sounds dumb but Ill ask anyway, have you tried deleting the app and reinstalling it? I wasnt able to login to my bank app when I got the X. I called customer service as it stated and they just told me delete and reinstall and I was able to login. Worth a shot.

Reactions: cwwilson

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Agree with OP, BUT app updates or not I am thrilled to have the clock and battery visible in all apps again. I was pretty pissed about a flipboard update a year ago when they got rid of it. Now with the extra real estate, they have no reason to exlude it. And even though Tapatalk looks like my iPhone 7, I have comfort that the clock and battery are next to the notch. BTW because the black is so deep, it looks like it’s just floating up there. I really miss the % battery though.

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
Give it about a year before most apps are fully updated.

For most developers, UI updates are not high priority.

Banks are in no rush to update apps because they know customers don't switch banks easily. Otherwise, Wells Fargo wouldn't need to resort to fraud to sign up new customers. And BoA wouldn't be giving out $100 for new customers.

Reactions: jhearty99

newellj

macrumors 604
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If the money is there they will update the app but if not it will never update.

The developers are there for the money.

OK, I am sorta laughing. Of course, what else are they in it for? Nobody's handing out Nobels or even Pulitzers for great apps!!! :D I mean, we pay them $0.99 and expect a lifetime of service??? :D

Here's something I've been finding that I think is pretty cool. The way FaceID interacts with passwords on sites is an unexpected plus. I am still on the fence about FaceID but this is one of the benefits. Having said that, I *think* that this is working this way because of iOS, rather than because app developers have updated their apps, so maybe no credit to the devs for that. (?)

Reactions: Newtons Apple

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Banks are in no rush to update apps because they know customers don't switch banks easily. Otherwise, Wells Fargo wouldn't need to resort to fraud to sign up new customers. And BoA wouldn't be giving out $100 for new customers.

Yeah, an app UI isn't going to factor into retention for _most_ banking customers. Though, funny enough, two of my banking apps, not small financial institutions, both updated about 2 weeks after my iPX delivered (Display/Layout, FID).

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY

I remember it taking longer when the iPhone 5 came out. Be patient.

thesaint024

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2016
suspension waiting room
Funny how Chase updated instantly for FaceID but not screen optimization yet.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the FaceID update is an iOS thing. It simply replaced TouchID with FaceID in the OS itself. Therefore all of the apps work for it. This is definitely the right way to do it, for OS to intercept authentication first. Or else we'd all be punching in passwords for all of the apps that need authentication until the developers decide to get around to it. I noticed this on day one, everything started moving to FaceID. When you look at specific app's settings, it still says "TouchID". None of my banks are updated yet either. But the lack of optimization updates hasn't bothered me. Just feels like my old phone, which isn't that bad of a thing.

Reactions: MacGurl111

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the FaceID update is an iOS thing. It simply replaced TouchID with FaceID in the OS itself. Therefore all of the apps work for it. This is definitely the right way to do it, for OS to intercept authentication first. Or else we'd all be punching in passwords for all of the apps that need authentication until the developers decide to get around to it. I noticed this on day one, everything started moving to FaceID. When you look at specific app's settings, it still says "TouchID". None of my banks are updated yet either. But the lack of optimization updates hasn't bothered me. Just feels like my old phone, which isn't that bad of a thing.

Touché and makes sense.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the FaceID update is an iOS thing. It simply replaced TouchID with FaceID in the OS itself. Therefore all of the apps work for it.

You are correct, basically you confirm the device has biometrics active and an owner enrolled, then call it as an abstraction (i.e., AuthWithBiometrics), this evokes the mechanism available to the device.

The Tos

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 5, 2011
Buffalo, New York

I have two separate banks, neither have updated their UI layout. Both would easily log in with touch id. The one still says touch id but lets me unlock with FaceID. The other, I have to manually type the password in every time as FaceID doesnt seem to be supported yet.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I have two separate banks, neither have updated their UI layout. Both would easily log in with touch id. The one still says touch id but lets me unlock with FaceID. The other, I have to manually type the password in every time as FaceID doesnt seem to be supported yet.

Just to clarify since above I said, "A biometric implementation should just work with either" ... like so many things, there's some assumption about the details, and it's possible the one that's not working has some kind of code where they were checking for the presence of TouchID specifically (vs. just Biometric), and that fails and drops into the backup passcode prompt. So it's kind of a case where it does need to be updated, but it's almost more of a fix (so to speak).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.