I am getting tired of iOS

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by SakuraSuki, Aug 3, 2013.

1. SakuraSuki macrumors 6502

First, don't get me wrong. iOS 7 is a beautiful OS beside the icons. Beta 4 is stable enough, although it still lags on the "trial product" iPad 3. Yes, after arguing with bunch of people, I still think iPad 3 is a "test product" from Apple. I am deeply regret of buying iPad 3.

Now, let's go back to main topic.

For years, iOS has been looked the same. Yes, iOS 7 has new look, but it is still the same old thing. Still pages and pages of icon , still no basics file system, apps still can't communicate well, still the same old way of operating the system.

Using iOS for me is like having a mother beside you and you can only do way she approves. She thinks you are an idiot and you can think. She is limiting you because she is afraid you might catch a virus or something.

1. Where is my ability to change default keyboard? For most English speakers, default English keyboard maybe OK for you, but after use Swype, you can't go back. Chinese keyboard is still lag, per-loaded word banks are lacking. There are bunch of gold Chinese, Japanese, Korean keyboard out there, but you can't use it unless you jailbreak.

2. If I open a PDF attachment, I can only open this PDF with Apple approved Apps, no other. I can't share this PDF to google plus or some other app not I can download the attachment to download folder.

3. I don't know the reason of not having file system. Majority of mobile OS from Android to Windows, from Windows to BlackBerry all have file system. It is huge inconvenient and annoying,

4. After 6 years, apps still cannot communicate each other. If I want to share a link on Google Plus what do I do? I need copy the link, to back to home screen, find Google Plus, open Google a plus, then post. That is hugely annoying. If I come across a video and I want to download this video, what do I do? I either go grad a browser that allow me download or I can't download at all. Even if I download a browser and download that video, I still cannot play it with my favourite player. It is still impossible to import music file directly from one app or default music app. Now you get what I am saying.

5. The most annoying thing is that all those annoyances can be and should be solved long time ago. All these annoyances can be solved by jailbreak, but tat's require you jailbreak.

I don't know how long before I give up iOS, I already switch from iPhone 4S to Nexus 4. The main reason for me keeping iPad is the 4:3 screen and tablet Apps. But the annoyances are truly annoying.

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

This belongs in the Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices forum. iOS 7 is a beta, I don't see how you can expect it to perform like a finished product because it's not.

----------

There are tons of PDF reading apps in the App Store, namely GoodReader, Adobe Reader, iBooks, and many more.

3. SakuraSuki thread starter macrumors 6502

This is not, finished iOS 7 will probably similar with current beta 4 with speed optimization and minor change. You can't expect any dramatic change by now.

----------

When you open a PDF on a website for example, you can save it to GoodReader or whatever, because Apple approve those apps appear on the share menu. You can't save it to anywhere else if the app not appear in share menu. That is what I meant.

4. batting1000, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

batting1000 macrumors 604

Why not? Each better gets better and better performance wise. You cannot tell me that future betas will not see noticeable improvements in speed.

Apple doesn't approve what apps appear there. If the app is capable of opening PDFs, you'll be able to share it through the menu.

5. SakuraSuki thread starter macrumors 6502

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

You can email it from the app (GoodReader, etc.) using the built-in email app. You can't open it in Google Plus though. You can only share it to apps that support the viewing / opening of PDFs.

7. applelover1016 macrumors regular

applelover1016

iOS isn't for everyone, you don't have to come here and try to justify it with us. If you no longer like iOS, then switch lol. IMO, the whole share app thing is meh. The apps that apple approve and their native apps work fine for me. I love the keyboard(if it ain't broke don't fix it), and the reason for a file system browser is to edit files, the average consumer doesn't need, nor do they know what to do with it. iOS is toward the average consumer, you on the other hand sound as if your power user. Use android, thats made for power users. As a user of both, you'll love it.

8. batting1000 macrumors 604

Exactly. It works differently for everyone. If iOS doesn't work for you, then it doesn't work for you. No need to make a thread to complain.

9. SakuraSuki thread starter macrumors 6502

I like iOS more than Android, but it is really annoying from time to time.

Average consumer still need file browser. For example, my father always ask me where is the file browser on iPad. When he uses iPad, he thinks the way he operates Windows. With a file browser, it is easier to him to save and open an app. You no longer to upload a file to drop box then download to iPad. It is just huge pain in the butt.

For student, there might be a lot PDF, Word documents you need save or constantly change, you cannot just upload all those files by one by and if somehow you updates a word file on your computer, you then need do the process all over again

----------

I think it is better to complain than stay silent. Why? Complains helps Apple improve iOS. iOS really is behind, from basically OS functionalities wise.

10. batting1000 macrumors 604

Can't you use Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc? Edit the file on your computer, upload to Dropbox or Drive, etc, and open it on your iOS device. You can even do it the opposite way with Pages or CloudOn.

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If a person has the ability to describe what a file browser is, they are not an "average consumer". My job is to deal with average consumers day in and day out. I've never met anyone who asked me for a file browser.

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

Again, it seems like Android is more for you because of its flexibility.

----------

Agreed.

13. SakuraSuki thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know about you. But when I worked at computer store, people don't ask specifically where is file browser, but hey ask where is Windows explorer or such. The way they ask might not directly to file browser, but they need to know where are their files or how to they access your files and how to copy files.

When people, especially old people, they are used to operating Windows, they will think the Windows or the Max way if you will.

14. appleisking macrumors 6502a

I agree there is no reason not to have at least a local storage center for files and docs. This will probably happen in the future, but fortunately for us ios has a very robust app selection that can solve pretty much any need.

15. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Obviously some of us are happy with the direction Apple is moving with iOS 7. If you're not you should switch. Easy as that. If it doesn't meet your needs then why let it be an annoyance to you? That's what I don't get. Just switch. That's everybody's individual choice and it shouldn't matter what we think about it.

16. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

Google+ - LOL

----------

Huh, I fully expect software related to a finger print reader providing 'dramatic change' in how I interact with the OS.

17. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Getting tired? Switch then. No one is holding you back. And instead of complaining to us, why don't you complain to Apple? They have feedback forms for a reason.

18. ThisIsNotMe Suspended

Sounds like more of an issue of developers not embracing iCloud rather than an issue with iOS.

Funny. I create a document in pages and it appears on ALL of my devices instantly.

19. SakuraSuki thread starter macrumors 6502

Simple. I want some app that is not on Android and there is no Android tablet makes me want to switch meaning because they are all 16:10 screen, simple is that.

----------

I did and lots of people did. Does Apple care to listen and do they want to implementing, that is out of my reach.

20. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I agree with the OP. iOS 7 looks nice and finally has a toggle menu and better multitasking. However, the underlying problems are still there. The biggest one for me is the inability of apps to communicate. Also, choosing default apps for things like browsers and mail clients. And 3rd party Siri interaction. And the filesystem issue.

Apple's approach of no filesystem with an app-centric model is nice and simple, but is very annoying to work with. I don't think a legacy approach to the filesystem is necessary. In fact, the way Apple deals with photos in iOS would be great to replicate with all documents, PDFs, movies, etc. For instance, when you're in a photo editing app or a writing app, you can access the entire repository of photos on the device. Similarly, there should be a repository of documents that apps can access and save to so that you don't have to email a document between apps due to the restrictive, app-centric system.

21. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It's not behind, it's just different. There's all there's to it. If it doesn't do what you want, go with something else. If you really think it needs to do something else then contact Apple about it as they are the only ones who might even consider changing something there if they want to change the OS in such a way to begin with.

22. SakuraSuki thread starter macrumors 6502

It is us who voiced up made control centre appeared on iOS 7. It is also us made Apple changed the old UI which you and lots of people like. It is also us made Apple more open. Without voice up, you won't get control centre, you won't get all these things on iOS 7. We will probably stuck with old iOS 6 thing all over gain.

If everyone think if I don't like this and that, you can switch. Sure I can switch, some else can switch. What will happen in the end? Will Apple become next RIM if just follow if you don't like just switch?

23. BloodyTesla macrumors newbie

If anything, switching is the most effective way. Losing money and market share is the best way to show a company they're doing it wrong.

24. SakuraSuki thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe it is already baked in iOS 7, it just none of us have device with finger printer reader, so we can't tell by now. By he way, I don't think iPhone 5S would have finger printer reader. If anything, I think iPhone 6 or whatever next next iPhone called will have

25. iMacBooked macrumors 6502a

iMacBooked

iOS is so much beter than Android IMO. This topic is useless: if you don't like iOS anymore, then just change. Buy an Android tablet then, and that's it.