I am really starting to hate my iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Feb 9, 2012.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

My iPhone might have made for the embarrassment of my life. My girlfriend texted me a heart, so I sent her one back...so I thought.

I slid the slider, and it went to a text message of MY ****ING CLIENT. Why the **** would Apple make it jump to another totally unrelated message, when I slid the slider with the text from my girlfriend? It went to the client. And IIRC, It has been something that has remained unfixed since iOS 1! When I slide the slider, and the text was from my girlfriend, it should GO TO THE GIRLFRIEND'S TEXT, not to someone else who I was also talking to the same day.

I am VERY pissed off at the situation. :mad:

This is not what I expect out of Apple at all.

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

VERY annoying.

My 4s is my first iPhone (first real apple device besides my nano). This was one of the very first things I noticed. I thought "I can't believe this is normal!!" I can forsee myself doing the EXACT same thing (maybe not a heart but send something) at some point. It's just a matter of time.

3. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I am also very pissed now this looked VERY bad on me to the client. Ugh...the client is a 62 year old man, and I am 22 year old man, this client isn't somebody you just walk around in your normal clothes in, I had to dress up for this client......somebody kill me now... :(

----------

You're right, it was like this since the first iPhone, I thought Apple would have fixed it by now, this is the first time it has taken a toll on me! I am phucqed!

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Luckily I have never had this happen. I am not sure why you are so embarrassed. Just follow that text up with something like "whoops! Misstext! Apologies!" It's not like people don't accidentally send the wrong text the the wrong person ever...

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Oh dude, come on.

I hate to be one of those people that try to argue why the OP is wrong, but you seriously should have checked before you sent it ... on any phone or platform.

Regardless, just tell the client that the message was accidentally sent because your phone spazzed out or something, and get over with it. Not really that big of a deal tbh.

Like I said, not trying to argue that you're wrong but it's really not that big of a deal.

Also, your phone shouldn't randomly jump to messages like that. There are a few reason why it might have, but basically it wasn't designed to do that.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

well, you could argue this 100 different ways...

The client needs to understand that with technology, "these things happen". If not, then you could argue that you ought to have a dedicated work phone (or personal phone, depending on what your iPhone is to you).

I dunno, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. For me, I don't use my iPhone for business but I could easily make a really bad misake in my personal life the same way!

7. DanteMann macrumors 6502

8. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Still shouldn't be happening if iOS was programmed correctly. This is not Apple quality at all. Nothing like my old PowerBooks, iBooks, and iPods.

Why don't I switch?

No other phone could still do better.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

There is a known bug where it actually looks like you are sending a text to person A and it is received by person B instead. That is a very real issue...

----------

Should it happen? No. Did you over react to the max? Yes.

10. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

For people who use one phone for business and personal, it is a real issue. I don't think my clients should see ANY texts to my girlfriend, or friends, or even grandma!

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I agree completely. Still feel like you freaked out just a little too much there though.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Haha reminds me of a much worse one that got sent to me... She meant to say "my little brother put gum in my hair" but it autocorrected to "my little brother put cum in my hair" :eek: One little letter changed made it into a very disgusting text... :p

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Please dude, you'll be fine.
    You're acting like its the end of the world.
    Things like that happen.

14. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

15. magicpinkdrink macrumors member

magicpinkdrink

I had this happen to me once. I was trying to reply to a text from my boss and it went to my best friend instead cuz when I unlocked the phone it jumped to the wrong thread. Luckily nothing embarrassing but it taught me to double check before I send a message.

Definitely something that should be fixed, but I love my iPhone so much that I can overlook the small stuff

16. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I thought I was going crazy...

.. the same thing just happened to me last night for the first time. I was ignoring person A's phone calls and they texted me "Let me know if you're ok" and I slid the slider and replied "I'm fine. I don't want to talk right now."

But I ended up messaging it to person B who also happened to ask "how are you," earlier in the day. He was like "uhh ok.. sorry" Annoying mix-up.

17. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

On my new iPhone 4S I've not had to use the text messaging at all because everyone on my contact list uses WhatsApp and Viber.

It's great.

:D

18. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I do that with a lot of things, now that it has been a few minutes, I gave him a call and explained the situation. Needless to say, this stuff should not be happening at all....Please Apple, fix it in iOS 6., or even , 5.0.2, 5.1 or something.

19. kre62 macrumors 68000

On iOS5, never use the bottom slider to unlock the phone. Slide the icon of the text message over to view the text.

Problem solved.

Surprised so many people dont know you can slide the icons on iOS5 notifications.

P.S. also if you dont unlock the phone when the text originally comes it, unlocking via bottom slider will return you to last known location. So if you had your client or whoevers text message open when the phone went to sleep, thats where youll be when you unlock the phone. When the text originally comes in, at the bottom it'll say slide to view. If you dont do so in that window of time, it changes back to slide to unlock. Use sliding icons and no problem.

20. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I knew you can, but when you have been using iPhones since 2007, habits stick.

21. kre62 macrumors 68000

Theres a known issue/bug........on ANDROID, not iOS. Never been a bug or issue on iOS. Just user error.

22. lilo777 macrumors 603

That's just dumb. Obviously not a user error. It's iPhone "feature".

23. kre62 macrumors 68000

It doesnt exist on iPhone. This is not what the OP is talking about. This is referring to when you are in one conversation, confirmed the convo you want to be in, and you send a text, and it texts a random contact other then the person you were texting instead. That is NOT what happened to the OP. He didnt see that he was in the worng conversation.

Huge difference.

24. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

This is the correct answer. I suppose it would be nice to have a choice as to what it shows you when using the unlock slider though.

25. In Like Flynn macrumors regular

These questions that have not been asked yet are just killing me -

1) what do you do for a living?
    2) why did you have to "dress up" for a 62yo client?
    3) why couldn't you simply send another message to the 62yo, "oops, that heart was for my girlfiend, sorry"
    (I'm mainly interested in questions 1 and 2 though)