I am staying with my 1st generation... Am I alone out here?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JennaLDS, Jul 23, 2009.

1. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

After crushing my 1st generation, I went back to Blackberry.. This was my 6th BB at the time. Then I swapped to Verizon and got the Storm after fighting with my Voyager for 5 months. Finally, after realizing that I hated it, I got a 1st generation again, and I have no plans on swapping until it just dies and I can't buy another one that is in good condition..

I just hate the plastic backing.. I love the white.. it is extremely appealing, but that plastic.. ugh. I feel like it is as cheap as the Palm Pre.. I love the metal backing on the 1st gen. I love the heavy feel, and honestly, I never use copy and paste, or a Video Recorder.. Even with my phones in the past that have actually had both features, I might have recorded 10 times in the past 6 years.

Am I alone here? Who else decided not to swap to the 3g or the 3gs, and who thinks that Steve should re-think the plastic backing?

Just an opinion, but I am curious as to who else feels the same..
    :rolleyes:

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I'm curious about the fascination with the 1st Gen (I got into the iPhone game with a 3G so I never experienced it :) )

3. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Lots of people in NYC still have the first gen iPhone. I see them daily. Of course, lots of people have a lot of things in NYC, because there's lots of people in NYC.

4. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Thats interesting but hey, to each there own. BTW, you can have copy/paste, just update your OS to 3.0;)

5. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

I did update my OS but I have not tried the copy and paste because.. well.. i just dont use it anyway lol..

I love my 1st gen. I love the feel and the look.. just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside lol

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I prefer the 1st gen look and feel but I prefer my 3G's speed and I'd probably say something similar if I sprung for the 3GS.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Id put up with the plastic case any day to have the capabilities and speed of the 3GS.

8. michalko.j macrumors member

Not trying to get technical here but it's has been raised that it may not be plastic and from my experience, it seems more durable than you'd expect. Might be some apple blend ceramic or have some ceramic type coating. In a "will it blend" video, the "plastic" phone held up better then the 1st gen.

9. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I understand how people can like the 1st gem because the metal look. But I just hate how fat it looks and the flatness of the back doesn't help much. I also don't like the plastic look of the buttons and the cheap plastic look where the speakers and mic are.

But that's just me.

10. machacker macrumors regular

I have had all 3 models. The 3G speeds were awesome. The camera of the 3GS is nice too.

However.

The reception of the 3GS is terrible. The wifi was finnicky and the battery made me want to kill myself.

My 1st gen phone lasts at least 3 days without needing to be charged. The wifi is strong, and I get better Edge speeds and reception then either of the other models. The metal backing makes the phone feel amazing in my hand, and I can actually feel it vibrate in my pocket.

Next summer, when the newest and greatest is released. I will probably buy it. However, never again will I sell off my 1st gen. It will always stay on the shelf, just in case. I love that phone.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

and in the first will it blend video, the 1st gen iPhone's back case was reduced to black powder. Only the bezel remained intact, albeit bent. The back definitely did not act like metal. And Phil Torrone said of it "The material on the back is a nice plastic that etched white-ish." when he laser etched flying toasters on one.

12. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I like my 2G as well, and won't change until I have to. I have unlocked it, and added MMS to 3.0, location services work fine, web generally works fine on GPRS when I need it to, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything. I do like the more solid feel of the phone. So no, you're not alone ;)

13. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

I love my 1st generation iPhone. Will probably buy the 3GS though. I also hate plastic.

14. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

The unsubsidized 1st gen iPhone was hard for me to swallow so I didn't jump in until the subsidized 3G was released.

I HATE using my iPhone for browsing when it has less than a 3G signal so I'm happy with the browsing speed.

15. milk242 macrumors 6502a

When I use my original iphone oh man is it slow compared to my 3gs... I just use my original iphone as an over glorified airfoil speaker now and as a spare to test development on. I also like to take it apart just so I know how.

16. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

I might consider a pristine 1st gen iPhone if I can find one for cheap. Mine's pretty beat up. :rolleyes:

17. TapOut macrumors regular

TapOut

OK if your going with the iphone for looks then whatever but if your going for the iphone for features then what the hell are you still doing with a 2g?

i have had all 3 models and by far the 3GS outbeats EVERYsingle one of them in every test ..

the 3GS is faster Period.. a jailbroken 3GS using mobilesubstrate is faster than stock 3.0 on a 2g and 3g ..

you have a better camera ..video recording ..mms tether capabilities.. more ram faster processor

the whole experiance of using an iphone has changed with the 3GS ..

seriously i think you are not making a smart decision by using a 2G.

and it seems as though you just have an iphone to say look i have an iphone and not for the iphone features

3G speeds are amazing i cant believe i ever lived with edge thinking its not that bad..well it is

and the back does NOT feel cheap at all..does not feel like any other plastic backing cell phone out there ..

18. CaseAddict macrumors newbie

The 1st gen is slow and sluggish. Enjoy your aluminum. Plastic is fine, I have no problems with it.

19. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

True, the 1st gen is slower than the 3G and the 3GS, but as far as browsing speeds go, since I'm on T-Mobile, it's all the same to me.

Happy with my first gen, ol' faithful has never failed me.

20. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I used my 2g for 2 years and it was great. But the 3gs is so much better in so many ways, hardware speed and network speed being the obvious ones. I never thought of my 2g as slow, and even EDGE seemed fine, but it would be hard to go back now.

21. zed macrumors 6502

Im sticking with my 1st generation as well. I thought seriously about getting the 3GS, but now I'm thinking I'll hold out to see what next years update brings.

22. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

I've had all three, my wife still has the original 2G. She won't get rid of it. Won't even let me upgrade it to 3.0 software (it's on 2.x, don't remember exactly).

...although....I showed her my newest app purchase last night (Navigon), and she may be changing her mind when I actually use it while driving for her. I just got the 3GS two days ago, and it is night and day different with speed, even jailbroken with WinterBoard, iBlacklist, Notifier, and Backgrounder loaded, it's faster than my 3G was unjailbroken (with my unscientific testing).

Even my 5 & 6 year old's like Mommy's iPhone better cause it's silver backed and not black! Apple was on to something with that.....

23. earthsick macrumors regular

i loved my 1st gen too...until i held my 1st gen and 3gs at the same time and it looked all antiquated and i realized how slow it is. now it sits on top of my Mac Pro with my also retired PowerBook G4. rest in peace 1st gen, i got you on launch day over 2 years ago and you served me well.

24. Brammy macrumors 65816

I live right on the edge of 3g coverage. I'm keeping my 1st gen so I don't pay $15 more a month for the same speed I have now.

25. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I bought a 3GS yesterday after using my original 2G iPhone for 2 years. I like the 2G, and didn't really intend to upgrade. I thought the 3G/3GS design was too plasticky and light, and didn't get the rounded back design at all.

Well. There's little difference in weight after all, the rounded back fits in the hand much better (and is still flat enough to sit steady on a desk if it's put down) and the 3GS is so much faster that going back to do things on the 2G feels very, very slow by comparison.

The poster that said the 3GS makes it a whole new experience is right. I didn't expect it to be, but it is.

Now, I look at my 2G, still is almost as-new condition and wonder what on earth to do with it! However much I really liked it over the two years I've used it, I won't be going back to it, that's for sure!