Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pr0230

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 7, 2013
So I bought a virgin mobile 5s and usiing it as a IPod touch....

Yes it works without contract or cell access..
Yes Gps works ... using cycle app runtastic cycle pro with off line maps.
Yes it works like a phone with talkatone...

what did it cost - 800 with tax...

Why... Im 56 , retired and would like the most up to date tech...
A7 processor, 64 gb...

Happiness... priceless...

OK... Have at it!!!

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
uhh... ok. Whatever floats your boat. But wouldn't an ipad mini do the same thing and be cheaper?

chrisl123

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2013
uhh... ok. Whatever floats your boat. But wouldn't an ipad mini do the same thing and be cheaper?

An iPad mini's not as portable as iPhone/iPod touch as it doesn't fit in your pocket. But if pocket-readiness isn't needed, yes!

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Making some sense after all since Ipod touch 5 is 2 years technology with A5 and 512 ram.

My Ipad 2 can't even hold too well with new games and apps no more. 512 Ram will just refresh every thing all the time.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Making some sense after all since Ipod touch 5 is 2 years technology with A5 and 512 ram.

My Ipad 2 can't even hold too well with new games and apps no more. 512 Ram will just refresh every thing all the time.

It's a waste of money. The Touch 5 runs IOS 7 very well. The A7 also has problems with memory leaks ATM in IOS 7 (i.e. the newest tech doesn't mean it actually works better :D). Apple will probably be able to fix it in IOS 7 but all the devices with an A7 really should have at least 2GB RAM.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
It's a waste of money. The Touch 5 runs IOS 7 very well. The A7 also has problems with memory leaks ATM in IOS 7 (i.e. the newest tech doesn't mean it actually works better :D). Apple will probably be able to fix it in IOS 7 but all the devices with an A7 really should have at least 2GB RAM.

This was fixed in the latest betas. 1GB is just fine for a phone.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
This was fixed in the latest betas. 1GB is just fine for a phone.

Read the latest post on people testing the new beta. It got much better but many people still have issues (crashes, Safari tabs re-loading, etc). I don't believe it will be completely solved until they increase the RAM to 2GB (my opinion).

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Read the latest post on people testing the new beta. It got much better but many people still have issues (crashes, Safari tabs re-loading, etc). I don't believe it will be completely solved until they increase the RAM to 2GB (my opinion).

Not everyone opens 4 tabs of Nine Inch Nails at once on a daily basis. That test was good at demonstrating the pre-beta issues but now it's just picking at straws.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
There's nothing wrong with using an iPhone 5S as an iPod touch. It's his money, let him enjoy it.

That isn't my problem. It's the fact that he came in here to brag about blowing his money on it. It's an iPod forum, and he's on about an iPhone. Why does he feel like he needs to put it in our faces that HE thinks we're in the wrong?

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012

A7 processor, 64 gb...

OK... Have at it!!!

I did the same for my daughter. Except the iphone 5S costs 129 (best buy). I converted her phone line to a tablet line at 10 a month so it's just data (LTE) only.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That isn't my problem. It's the fact that he came in here to brag about blowing his money on it. It's an iPod forum, and he's on about an iPhone. Why does he feel like he needs to put it in our faces that HE thinks we're in the wrong?
Defensive much? Where in his post is he trying to tell "us" that we're in the wrong? I'm not entirely sure there was any part of his post where I felt as though I was being told he thought I was wrong. Unless he edited his post before I read it, which I don't think is the case. It is okay that he is super proud of his discovery and oddly, I don't think there is any implied accusation that anyone was wrong.

OP, that's great for you but was there any doubt that you could use the iPhone as an iPod Touch? I personally didn't think so, but maybe I missed something.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Defensive much? Where in his post is he trying to tell "us" that we're in the wrong? I'm not entirely sure there was any part of his post where I felt as though I was being told he thought I was wrong. Unless he edited his post before I read it, which I don't think is the case. It is okay that he is super proud of his discovery and oddly, I don't think there is any implied accusation that anyone was wrong.

OP, that's great for you but was there any doubt that you could use the iPhone as an iPod Touch? I personally didn't think so, but maybe I missed something.

There wasn't, again, he came in here to brag about his purchase and wanted a response, so I gave him one. :rolleyes:

This was his original post by the way, and he did belittle the Touch:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1689316/

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I own both; the latest touch and a 5s

The touch has MUCH better battery life. For some reason, even in airplane mode the 5s gets about a day before it needs a recharge, without even using it. It just drains, and the thing is brand new, with only around ten cycles. I had a regular 5 and it had similar battery life.

The Touch weighs about half, and get 3 times the battery life, withe the same screen, and the performance is more than great.

And as far as performance goes, unless you do heavy lifting I can't tell the difference, and i use some rather intensive apps.

I just don't get it. I have no love for my phone, but the touch is very cool. :)

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009

A7 processor, 64 gb...

OK... Have at it!!!

Why don't you activate cellular service on your device? You don't need a contract if you are buying it full price, like you did for $800. You could get 100 minutes, unlimited text and 5GB data from T-Mobile for $30 a month (among the other various plans). Even Virgin Mobile's plans are pretty cheap and without a contract.

Also, unless you were planning on using Virgin Mobile, I would've bought a Verizon 5S. It would've costed the same price, but it would've been usable on Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T. It is also unlocked and can be used with any GSM carrier in the world. Because of this, the resale value would be much higher. Selling Virgin Mobile / Sprint iPhones are more difficult to sell.

Either way, enjoy your device :)

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010

Don't click on the thread then? Somebody's getting a bit too defensive there.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
I own both; the latest touch and a 5s

The touch has MUCH better battery life. For some reason, even in airplane mode the 5s gets about a day before it needs a recharge, without even using it. It just drains, and the thing is brand new, with only around ten cycles. I had a regular 5 and it had similar battery life.

The Touch weighs about half, and get 3 times the battery life, withe the same screen, and the performance is more than great.

And as far as performance goes, unless you do heavy lifting I can't tell the difference, and i use some rather intensive apps.

I just don't get it. I have no love for my phone, but the touch is very cool. :)
If you don't like your 5S I'd happily accept it as a gift.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
No it isn't IOS but if you have money to burn and music playing interests you, should have gone for the device that blows most anything away on the planet for quality in a small device for that.

HTC One baby, all the way. Bragging over!

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Ok, i don't need a phone. I'll send it to you if you send me a blanket and lighter fluid for smoke signals.

Go natural
LoL.

No it isn't IOS but if you have money to burn and music playing interests you, should have gone for the device that blows most anything away on the planet for quality in a small device for that.

HTC One baby, all the way. Bragging over!
You mean the un-repairable phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.