I barely use my MBA now :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by eric/, Apr 6, 2012.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

I purchased an iPad and now I barely use my MacBook air. I still like it and everything, but I've found that most of the time it just sits at home collecting dust.

Not gonna sell it or anything because at some point I do occasionally do use it for remote desktop or other things that are impossible in the iPad, but for general, daily use my iPad has taken over.

Anybody else with a similar experience?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Nice story.

I ended up selling my MB Air. /shrug

3. Risasi macrumors 6502

Uh, iTap RDP, LogMeIn Ignition, VNC Viewer...now you can sell your Air. I use these frequently on my iPhone when I get support calls and I'm out of the office.

---

And, no my experience doesn't mirror yours. I'll still take an Air over the iPad, but that's probably because I also have an iPhone. Of course I use all three. :)

4. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

I have all three as well. I just didn't see the iPad having such an effect. I'm not sure those programs would work well enough for me to sell the MBA. Especially for RDC.

5. bogatyr macrumors 65816

I'd save your air, once the honeymoon phase wears out with the iPad you may want to go back to the air. At least that is how it went when I switched from a laptop to an iPad.

Eventually I found too many things it couldn't do and found myself spending more and more time using a remote desktop. The keyboard and lack of a mouse, for me, made the iPad a worse choice than a laptop so I went back after 1-2 months.

Of course, YMMV.

6. dzigg macrumors member

As much as I'm enjoying my iPad for entertainment (XBMC), reading stuff, remote desktop, general browsing, navigation, etc, I still prefer MBA for long periods of usage and won't trade it for an iPad.

It complements each other, so why seperate them? :)

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

I'm also happy using both. I could never give up my Air because I need it for working at University and writing essays. I love having my iPad there to browse casually and take on trips. I don't see them as competing devices, hell, I'm buying a new iMac as soon as they come out too.

8. New Apple macrumors regular

the Macbook Air is a 'pre-volution' of the iPads (1 piece vs 2)
    transition between bulky laptops to ultracompact notebooks (passying thru the terrible web/mini/net-books and similar)

the ipad is the minimization of size and maximization of power (calculating?)

as soon as the ipads will get stronger, tech advanced and possibly flatter-lighter
    the 2 sided before laptop now airs(etc) will ´become past, someone may like it as Vintage instruments just like old typewriters

the ipad needed 3 versions to reach a 'decent' level (i bought one)

smartphones lover (i got a samsung gs2) say tablets aint needed
    however if you are a writer (or you need to write a lot) a touch keyboard on an ipad (1,2,3) are worth the investment, the keyboard over a smartphone can be a little pain most of times to write short stuff

so is the entertainment, yes you can see an hd movie on a smarty, but just see, you wont enjoy (even denying it)
    an ipad (or similar size tablet) is just as a size of a diary, with 100001 more uses

thank you Airs for your ' transitional meaning '

getting stronger and melting with higher categories

smartphone = maximized portability, a swiss multi-knife
    tablet = the middle kingdom
    2 categories are almost defined
    and then the home/work category (a 50'' flat screen with wireless apple keyboard and similar devices, controlling every thing and the most powerful ofc)

:apple:

9. glen e macrumors 68030

see the other 15 posts that feel the opposite...

then see the other 15 posts that feel the opposite of that....

and it goes on...

truth is everyone is different and will seek his/her own level of involvement with each device, depending on their needs . I use both, and need both...end of story...

10. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

I know. I just wanted to see how others experienced something like this. No big deal.

11. New Apple, Apr 6, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

New Apple macrumors regular

i think there is no doubt on the future of the AIRS

why do people buy the Air and not a netbook-notebook-laptop ?

because :

1) it's flat(ter), it's light(er) [not as a smartphone where you cannot work properly]
    2) it's more powerful (old models), powerful enough(standard users)
    3) it's cool

1 side VS 2, is the logical next step for the point (1) (an air lover has no reason to think otherwise)

2) the Ipad and tablets are getting better (not yet comparable but good enough for daily tasks, as the ipads will get stronger, on less dimension and weight an air lover has one choice (as the choice he did from a heavier-bigger laptop)

3) cool, as if we break 1 Macbook Air into 2 pieces, and sell the half for an Ipad4, it wont be less cool (the design would be similar)

transition-past
    dont read me wrong, the Air is the present with 1-2-3 more years in front (enjoy)

we are evolving :p

12. BadaBing!! macrumors 6502

BadaBing!!

For me it was the other way around. I sold my iPad 2 few weeks after I bought my MBA.
    Different uses I guess.

13. Mikekan macrumors regular

Same here, if I didn't have it connected with my audio system using the Amarra-iTunes combination I would Definetely sell it! that is for the past 1.5 year, using an iPad...

14. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Yep, my MBA sits in a drawer waiting for a business trip. There's just no reason to use it with an iMac in the house and an iPad for everything except whatever can only be handled on the iMac.

15. Jobsian macrumors 6502a

Jobsian

I use it all the time, I'm talking for work, leisure, taking a dump, the lot. I even used it once to help me pry open a door that had been jammed, true story.

----------

And yes, despite the above, it's still clean. One could say that it's a clean machine. Just the way I like to keep my fire engine. Very strange.

16. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

17. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat except I sold my MBA. It was a great computer but I have an iMac at home, use the iPad for reading, e-mails and surfing the net when away from home. I really didn't need the heavy lifting of the MBA. As it is now, I can attach my camera to my iPad, edit photos with the iPhoto app and it's on my desktop when i go home, all done.
    If I were not retired, I'd probably still have use for the MBA, a great little computer!:)

18. Hamburger macrumors regular

I feel for the OP, similar situation here, the MBA (11" late 2010) got rarely used once I rediscovered my iPad1 last autumn.
    I didn't want to sell because I need it every now and then. Instead, I bought an 24" ACD and hooked it up to the MBA. Now the MBA gets used more often again in this desktop arrangement.

19. /user/me, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

/user/me macrumors 6502

cool story bro. I'm not seeing what the point of announcing it to the world is...

20. Bigredhawkeye macrumors member

What is the point of this thread?

If you are using your iPad over MBA for most things then apparently you don't need a system running OS X at all.

Those of us who use are computers for work/school/etc, cannot replace them with an iPad. iPad is just a media device, not a productivity one.

21. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Can I have it then? My mom needs a new computer.

----------

What are you talking about? The iPad is an extremely productive device.

22. abz1981 macrumors 65816

the reason why i don't want a iPad

See this the reason why I am not going to get an iPad. I spent a lot of money on my amazing MBA. So I don't want to buy another device and let dust settle on my MBA. I have my iPhone 4s and MBA and I am happy with that :)

23. Detrias macrumors member

My MBA barely goes out of the house anymore, sadly is being used as a desktop plugged to a 24 led ever since i started with the iPad 2. Probably will sell it and buy a new mini when they get refreshed

24. Bigredhawkeye macrumors member

Not in the sense I'm talking about relating to school and work. Sure you can do plenty on an iPad, but multi-tasking, doing research, writing papers, writing code, emails longer than a few sentences, editing video and photos well...Non of those things would I rather use an iPad for.