Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techsavvy01

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 24, 2016
New Jersey USA
I changed the title happy people? I'm getting Ipad repaired at my local Mall. What can I do to prevent this from happening again? I'm really concerned about this. This goes to show how fragile the ipad screen is :(

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
All it takes is just a small point of pressure, glass is glass no matter how you infuse it with chemicals to strengthen it.

Sorry for your loss :(

It's like when people rave about 'sapphire screens'. I have a sapphire bezel Heuer watch that slipped on my wrist and hit the floor. And Shattered! With a 'durable' sapphire bezel. I whined to the Heuer tech that replaced it, and charged me for it too, and the watch wasn't even a year old! He said that sapphire has a hidden grain, like wood. Hit it at just the right spot, and it shatters. I hit it at just that spot.

ANYTHING 'grown' will have a grain, a weak spot undetectable through nondestructive testing.

You either found that weak area, or the bag got bashed more than you thought. I dented a MacBook Pro on the back edge. I would swear on a stack of Hypercard programming manuals that there was NOTHING that I did that would cause the dent, but it was there. And surprisingly huge too.

I can't remember who did it, but one company shipped a whole bunch of boxes through the big three (at the time) shippers/ The boxes had a g-force monitoring system in them. They were surprised at the amount of force that could be delivered to a box that wouldn't flatten the box, but would ruin their product. They changed the way they packaged their stuff. All it takes is the right blow on the wrong spot...

EDIT: Helping it now to happen again?

Hmm... No case is 100% 100% of the time.

I swear by Otterbox cases. Haven't had one fail me yet, but I've heard of people that are still able to destroy their iDevices, even with the Otterbox.

Reactions: maflynn

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
I changed the title happy people? I'm getting Ipad repaired at my local Mall. What can I do to prevent this from happening again? I'm really concerned about this. This goes to show how fragile the ipad screen is :(

At least you're not blaming Steve Jobs this time. ;)

Get the Zagg case. I don't know if Amazon has any deals but Zagg is great.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
I had an event in my life that really taught me the whole Apple vs Android durability thing was ridiculous. One day I was getting off of a small couch, and accidentally dropped my iPad with its face up onto the carpet about an inch, then my phone fell about maybe 3 inches (because I was still getting up) and hit the iPad with its face down. The HTC One was shattered. The iPad was cracked. If its made of glass it's gonna crack. Especially when theres as much of it as there is on the iPad.
[doublepost=1489203571][/doublepost]

It's a massive amount of glass that has been made as thin as possible. Theres only so much technology can do at the time. I recommend tech armor screen protectors. Have saved my phone several times, and about two days after I got my 12.9 pro it fell out of my car when the door was opened landed on its back and flopped on its face pretty hard (no case). The protector was cracked, the iPad is perfect. For maximum protection I always use a glass screen protector + a Apple smart cover. Yeah the back ends up scratched and used but the screen almost always stays flawless.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
You're full of crap. Gorilla Glass only exists because Apple pushed Corning to dust off a shelved product that nobody was asking for. How in the hell can you claim they're not using Gorilla Glass?

https://www.engadget.com/2012/09/25/how-corning-developed-the-iphone-glass/

Yup, they don't advertise it because technically Gorilla Glass is an umbrella term used for a spectrum of glass products. You can buy off the shelf or work with Corning to tweak the glass for specific parameters you want to meet. Apple does the latter (I believe Samsung does too because the Edge uses Corning's 2.5D technology http://www.androidauthority.com/what-is-a-2-5d-screen-611258/) , but never advertises it.

Indeed. They don't advertise it, but they have acknowledged Corning has their glass suppliers on several occasions.

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...s-all-on-the-left-side.1921675/#post-21967131

http://images.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/pdf/Suppliers.pdf

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Sorry about your loss. My iPad is protected by tempered screen protector, smart case, Neoprene carry case, AND backpack with 3 separate pouches. My iPad loves me so much!

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
What can I do to prevent this from happening again? I'm really concerned about this. This goes to show how fragile the ipad screen is :(
There are multiple options for you. When putting your iPad in a bag, never put anything between the screen and the side of the bag. Better yet is to buy a padded sleeve to put your iPad in before placing it in the bag. The best choice is what others have been saying: get a backpack with a separate compartment for just the tablet. The screen is fragile when people are careless with it. It is glass, and glass breaks pretty easily, especially with how thin they make it for these products.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village

No, it should go to show you how fragile ANY screen is.

Don't think for a minute that a case will give you free reign to be careless with your electronics (from any manufacturer).

The two biggest things you can do to prevent this from happening again are:
  1. Get a cover. It doesn't need to be Apple's Smart Cover, but it should offer some substance. If it's magnetic, or built into a case, all the better (less of a chance of something slipping in between the cover and screen).
  2. Get a better bag. It doesn't have to be fancy, just something that has compartments. Keep your iPad in a separate compartment from everything else (the dividers should have some padding). Just like keeping your keys in a different pocket than your phone.
Most of all, don't assume any kind of cover or case will prevent all damage. The biggest protection is not going to be physical or something you can buy - it's a change in attitude. You're still expected to treat your device with care. Figure out what behaviors you have that led to this and change them.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
If transporting the iPad in a less than ideal bag then get a supplemental case for temporary storage while doing so. I recommend something like a Zeroshock zipper case which have great impact protection.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Ah, but there is a "case" that works 100% of the time, and it's called AppleCare+.

A lot of people have been very dismissive of it for iPads, which is fine as buying it is a completely personal decision, but when you need it? You really wish you had it.

Actually I think even AppleCare+ has limits, although I haven't tested them...

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Yep, such as "you get two" (replacements) before they start sharing big money. Also, it still costs money to replace a device (but not nearly as much).

'Skin in the game'. I'm getting sick of hearing that on the news.

So far, I have only cracked one iPad screen (knocking on wood furiously) and it was to see how easy it would be to replace it. It's not easy, or at least wasn't for me. Get a good case. Keep it covered. Don't throw the bag the case is in around. Makes sense...

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Actually I think even AppleCare+ has limits, although I haven't tested them...

The "100%" refers to the amount of protection it gives - and it really is 100%, no matter what the damage (as long as it's not intentional). The "limitation" is that it works only twice, but that's like saying a tempered glass screen protector works only once because it shatters and you have to apply a new one after that.

Of course, it doesn't protect you if you lose it, but there are other insurance options if you need that kind of coverage.

Reactions: PinkyMacGodess

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
The "100%" refers to the amount of protection it gives - and it really is 100%, no matter what the damage (as long as it's not intentional). The "limitation" is that it works only twice, but that's like saying a tempered glass screen protector works only once because it shatters and you have to apply a new one after that.

Of course, it doesn't protect you if you lose it, but there are other insurance options if you need that kind of coverage.

Pretty close. It also doesn't cover cosmetic damage. If you drop your iPad and it looks beat up but no screen cracks and it works, it's not covered by Apple Care.

Ah, but there is a "case" that works 100% of the time, and it's called AppleCare+.

A lot of people have been very dismissive of it for iPads, which is fine as buying it is a completely personal decision, but when you need it? You really wish you had it.

I really don't understand the allure of AppleCare+... I have never purchased for any iPhone (3g, 4, 5, and 6) or any iPad (2, 3 and mini 2). My iPhone 6 is also the only iPhone that I've consistently used a case (just way to big and slippery). Maybe I'm just lucky/careful, but I've NEVER cracked a screen and the only repair I've ever done was on my iPhone 6 and cost $129 due to a broken microphone (I'm pretty sure it was water damage due to condensation on the phone while skiing). If I bought AppleCare for each device that would have been $772 (7 x $99 + $79) in total vs my $129.

Plus, considering how vast majority of iPhone repairs can be accomplished with a $129 screen replacement you'd typically be better off without apple care.

Single Repair: Apple Care = $178, Without = $129*
Two Repairs: Apple Care = $257, Without $258*
*Assuming fixed via $129 screen repair

Note: A Google search has revealed that Apple Care for iPad does seem to be a better value (AppleCare is $99 + $49 = $148 vs Without = $300/$379), but I personally think it's easier to take care an iPad of because I'm not using it constantly

What can I do to prevent this from happening again? I'm really concerned about this. This goes to show how fragile the ipad screen is :(

Honestly, I'd just take a little more overall care in general. I'm guessing the "rugged" case and the fact that you'd been carrying your iPad that same way for months gave you a false sense of security. You were likely unconsciously being a little rough with that (unbelievably flimsy) string bag and it hit a surface in such a way that caused direct contact with the screen.

As others have said the bottom line is protecting the screen. Either a case that covers the screen. Or a padded bag that has some amount of rigidity to hold the iPad in place with nothing pressing against the screen. Or both. Even something simple like wrapping a tshirt around your iPad would help. This was an expensive lesson to learn, but these tech devices are prone to breaking, especially if there is exposed glass.

Last edited:

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Note: A Google search has revealed that Apple Care for iPad does seem to be a better value (AppleCare is $99 + $49 = $148 vs Without = $300/$379), but I personally think it's easier to take care an iPad of because I'm not using it constantly

And yet there are threads like this. I agree that iPhone AppleCare+ is rarely worth it, and perhaps for the 9.7" iPad Pro, but do you know what the replacement cost is on the 12.9" iPad Pro? $599.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Screen protectors help with scratches not impact. The shell case protected the back but you had very little protection over the screen.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I really don't understand the allure of AppleCare+... I have never purchased for any iPhone (3g, 4, 5, and 6) or any iPad (2, 3 and mini 2). My iPhone 6 is also the only iPhone that I've consistently used a case (just way to big and slippery). Maybe I'm just lucky/careful, but I've NEVER cracked a screen and the only repair I've ever done was on my iPhone 6 and cost $129 due to a broken microphone (I'm pretty sure it was water damage due to condensation on the phone while skiing). If I bought AppleCare for each device that would have been $772 (7 x $99 + $79) in total vs my $129.

Plus, considering how vast majority of iPhone repairs can be accomplished with a $129 screen replacement you'd typically be better off without apple care.

Single Repair: Apple Care = $178, Without = $129*
Two Repairs: Apple Care = $257, Without $258*
*Assuming fixed via $129 screen repair

Honestly, I'd just take a little more overall care in general. I'm guessing the "rugged" case and the fact that you'd been carrying your iPad that same way for months gave you a false sense of security. You were likely unconsciously being a little rough with that (unbelievably flimsy) string bag and it hit a surface in such a way that caused direct contact with the screen.

As others have said the bottom line is protecting the screen. Either a case that covers the screen. Or a padded bag that has some amount of rigidity to hold the iPad in place with nothing pressing against the screen. Or both. Even something simple like wrapping a tshirt around your iPad would help. This was an expensive lesson to learn, but these tech devices are prone to breaking, especially if there is exposed glass.

Well...I always say never say never. You have done well so far, and financially it makes sense not to get Apple care plus, but not everyone is you. I take careful care of my stuff...but I have kids. I know in my mind, apple care plus will be used because they will break something even when they are being careful. It just happens. The first time I broke an iPhone it was a 3GS. I had it in a huge case since cases were ugly then. It was then in a belt clip on my hip. I had helping install three car seats in my car in the back parking lot that was gravel at sea world and somehow I moved just right and the phone flew in the air and landed just perfectly that the gravel pierced the screen. This was before apple care plus.

Having apple care plus means I don't have to stress when I hand my devices to my kids or worry about every move I make. We have kept some of their devices three years and used up the Apple care for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.