Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA
I'm a longtime BlackBerry user and got the Pre when it launched. I ended up returning it because I think OS 1.0 has some revisions to go through before it's full fledged. But, if it lasts and makes it to future OS releases, it will be pretty good. The keyboard was small coming from a BlackBerry but I would have gotten used to it. The device is a great size but pretty slippery.

I've had an iphone since it came out but rarely used it. When the 3GS came out, I decided to try it out as my primary device and have been pretty happy with it so far. I'm definitely getting used to the typing on the screen. I swear my 3G couldn't keep up with my typing where the 3GS has no problems. I also do like the larger screen size as opposed to the Pre.

I think the Pre, BlackBerry and iphone are all great devices and just appeal to different people. I could very well have kept on using the BlackBerry but wanted to try something different for awhile and am quite pleased with using the iphone. Sure, it doesn't have some of the features my BB did but then again, the BB doesn't have some features the iphone has either.

I did put up a short review of the Pre on my website for anyone interested.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
All threads don't have to be in the form of a question Trebek.

WiFe-Alex%20Trebek.jpg

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I bought both since I had a 30 day return policy with both carries.
What also kills me is the lack of push notificatons; I know they are working on it, so I am tryng to be patient.
You cant be to patient you only have 30 days!

Haephestos

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2009
I took the Pre for a spin at Best Buy the other day...it's ok it has it's pluses and minuses.

BUT THE KEYBOARD IS ATROCIOUS! People whining on the lack of a physical keyboard on the iPhone...The Pre's keyboard was so flimsy and tiny there is no way I could use it.

Also I thought the downgrade in build quality from my original iPhone to the 3G was bad...the Pre feels like some kind of cracker jack toy.

This is honest and un-biased.
Or you could text someone a V-card.

felixxiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Yes - I'm also very curious to see how "advanced" the Pre's camera is compared to the iPhone.

Also, to the OP.... any leanings towards one device or the other yet?

I took this pics with the pre yesterday and today. You guys can be the judges

Attachments

• pre1.jpg
    pre1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 107
  • pre2.jpg
    pre2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 70
  • pre3.jpg
    pre3.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 90
  • pre4.jpg
    pre4.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 82
  • pre5.jpg
    pre5.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 99

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Those pics do look nice( though what's up with the red hue in the first one?), but it would really be more helpful if you would take the same picture from both the iPhone and Pre from the same spot one right after the other to compare.

felixxiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Those pics do look nice( though what's up with the red hue in the first one?), but it would really be more helpful if you would take the same picture from both the iPhone and Pre from the same spot one right after the other to compare.

Sorry. I can do that later on today. I got the iPhone on sunday morning and played with it until yesterday afternoon, which is when I got the Pre and have been playing with that one since.

amorican

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
Honest question here from a Pre user, what would you want to do with data while talking on the phone? Please no sarcastic answers, I just don't get it. When I'm talking on the phone, I'm talking on the phone.:)

Edit: I do agree that the hardware quality of the Pre leaves something to be desired. The cutting cheese thing is total B.S. They must have gotten a one off, sharp device as mine is not sharp at all... However, the slider is definitely a bit loose and it concerns me a bit. That's why I got insurance.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Honest question here from a Pre user, what would you want to do with data while talking on the phone? Please no sarcastic answers, I just don't get it. When I'm talking on the phone, I'm talking on the phone.:)

Looking up restaurant info, movie info, find something on Maps, all while talking to one of your friends/gf/bf/wife/husband to relay the info to them.

sparkomatic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Orange County, CA

Edit: I do agree that the hardware quality of the Pre leaves something to be desired. The cutting cheese thing is total B.S. They must have gotten a one off, sharp device as mine is not sharp at all... However, the slider is definitely a bit loose and it concerns me a bit. That's why I got insurance.

I used to think the same thing about voice/data. I've been in a few situations while talking on the phone and waiting for an email to come through. Doesn't happen often but, it's nice to have the ability to do both at the same time. Or, be on the phone and look up something on the net.

And, my Pre (for the brief period of time I had it) did have a sharp edge. Granted, I think the cutting cheese thing was a little silly...and funny. But, the edge wasn't that sharp and the cheese in that video looks pretty soft.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Honest question here from a Pre user, what would you want to do with data while talking on the phone? Please no sarcastic answers, I just don't get it. When I'm talking on the phone, I'm talking on the phone.:).

I think it's the other way around. I don't want to miss key calls (I use mine as my primary business phone) because I'm streaming a podcast, downloading an app, or surfing the web. On my previous phones (Treo 600, 650, 700p, Q) it was a real problem to stop using data only to have to voicemail icon pop up.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The same is true with touch interfaces. Your fingers, adept as they are, interact naturally with a visual/touch interface using core concepts that are going to imitate across different platforms. If you can't use a pinch motion to zoom in and out, then how the hell do you do it?

HTC has the smart idea of having a zoom gesture area under the screen. Makes sense: anything that's used a lot should be a readily available control.

I just saw another cool idea for zoom: you hold your finger down, and a zoom bar shows up. Then you just move your finger up and down.

So there are a few other ways. Even Apple realized pinch was not the perfect idea for a one handed device, and included double taps.

And finally, just to prove you correct, the Linux based OpenMoko phone showed off the pinch months before the iPhone was revealed.

Personally I'd rather better battery life then being able to run a bunch of apps in the background.

So... you're saying that Apple made a mistake allowing the iPod app to run in the background on the iPhone? Or allowing the user to set fetch frequency, or if push is on or not? Or did Apple leave those battery usage options up to the user?

PS. Apps that are just sitting, don't use extra power. They just make life a lot easier.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Umm... wow. Pre, which runs Web OS is a complete, from the ground up OS that was started before the first iPhone launched. They didn't "rip" anything other than possibly getting some styling queues for the UI from the iPhone.

If anything it will be iPhone "ripping" from the Pre when they finally bring background apps to the iPhone in another year or two.
WebOS is built on top of Webkit. Google it yourself. Webkit is an open source project run by Apple which serves as the rendering and javascript engine for not only desktop safari but also the iPhone OS Safari browser. So I would hardly call the webOS being built from the ground up.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
WebOS is built on top of Webkit. Google it yourself. Webkit is an open source project run by Apple which serves as the rendering and javascript engine for not only desktop safari but also the iPhone OS Safari browser. So I would hardly call the webOS being built from the ground up.

Fair enough, I'm not an expert on WebOS, I just know it's been in development for 4 years and the iPhone has been out for 3 years.

Skengman

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Essex/London
I'm looking forward to the Pre coming to the UK, especially as it is rumoured to be on o2 alongside the iPhone. Not that I think it will be good enough to pull me away from my 3G but it will be nice to compare, and if they get it out in time for christmas over here then it will hit the shelves as launch day 3G owners become eligible for upgrades (on 18 month contracts).

felixxiano

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
I finally used the new AIM with push notifications; it works flawlessly!
I stll would lke to get gmail push notifications.. sigh

TheCookie

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Boston
Google really needs to not neglect the iphone. Push for gtalk is needed. Push for gmail is needed.

Stupid Android...

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Google really needs to not neglect the iphone. Push for gtalk is needed. Push for gmail is needed.

Stupid Android...
No, Apple needs to get on the ball and support IMAP Idle like every other mail reader and smartphone on the planet. At least they finally added support in the newest mail.app on the Mac side. MobileMe-style PUSH is all well and good, but not everybody is going to support it, simple as that. The iPhone needs the option to support IMAP Idle for those email accounts that don't support the Apple style of PUSH. (And yes, gmail pushes just fine on clients that support IMAP Idle, including Apple's own mail.app on the desktop).

amorican

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2008
I think it's the other way around. I don't want to miss key calls (I use mine as my primary business phone) because I'm streaming a podcast, downloading an app, or surfing the web. On my previous phones (Treo 600, 650, 700p, Q) it was a real problem to stop using data only to have to voicemail icon pop up.
I'm pretty much certain that the phone call interrupts your web use, if I'm wrong then yeah, that does suck. I still am not certain if I'm keeping my Pre. I know everyone here will hate on me for saying this, but in my opinion, WebOS beats the hell out of iPhone OS. That being said, the hardware is not up to my standards, and I'm not yet certain if I can deal with it...

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
And how long was iPhone OS in development before the release of the original iPhone?

That doesn't prove that Palm had inside information on what was going on with the iPhone when they started development on WebOS.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
I think the pre is a great phone, a little lacking in the hardware but the OS is wonderful (considering it's a first revision). That said, I think you are in the wrong forum on discussing an iphone vs pre because basically everyone here is biased towards the iphone. It would be like going to precentral and posting this same thing and everyone would be hating on the iphone.

Anyways, what I really want apple to do is just allow backgrounding for last.fm and simplify or allow them to develop plugins for the ipod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.