Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeyKatie

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2012
My first iphone was the 4s, then 5s then switched to Android :( for 8 months with the LG G4 because my friend had switched first and was raving about it, such a dumb decision on my part. Now I've had the 64gb rose gold SE for a year and won't be upgrading once my contract is up in August unless they come out with something really really good for the SE 2.0

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
planning to buy an 8 tomorrow - buuuuut, i think for the first time im gonna keep my se and just swap the sim from time to time when i feel nostalgic (assuming this doesnt cause problems on verizons end or problems with messages/calls)

i do think the se is apples most beautiful phone so its just hard to let go of.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
Exactly!!!
okay lets all change our minds, just forget about the iPhone X and buy an iPhone SE

It will save us about $800/$900 per person.

Apple will be happy with us! :p
[doublepost=1506049196][/doublepost]You know you want to keep rocking the SE. why spend the extra $700?

planning to buy an 8 tomorrow - buuuuut, i think for the first time im gonna keep my se and just swap the sim from time to time when i feel nostalgic (assuming this doesnt cause problems on verizons end or problems with messages/calls)

i do think the se is apples most beautiful phone so its just hard to let go of.

wborisenok

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2014
Boston, MA
That's what we did. 139 bucks. Now att suspended it after a few hours asking for proof of purchase. Once I did that they fixed it and all good. I'm almost tempted to buy a second one. The first one is used by my autistic brother. His first phone for emergency.

So what's this Best Buy deal all about, anyway? Is it strictly for ATT peeps?

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
I’m very happy after a full day with the SE. It was weird at first not going out with the 7+. I had it in my pocket all day and due to its weight, I almost forgot I had it with me. Sure it’s hard to read at times, but it’s not intended for long periods of reading. It’s not for navigation in the car but I’m sure some drivers get by. We did it for many years before the Plus models.

Now that Apple Watch has LTE, is this going to be the future in 5 years? A phone smaller than the SE?

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
So what's this Best Buy deal all about, anyway? Is it strictly for ATT peeps?
Carriers are offering the iPhone SE in discounted prepaid kits.

AT&T has theirs for $150 (although Best Buy was running a $10 off promo for a couple of weeks) and you can use it right away on AT&T postpaid. Phone is locked to AT&T's network. Can be unlocked after 6 months of active service.

Verizon has theirs for $200 and you need to pay for one month of Verizon prepaid (~$30-40?) before you can switch it over to Verizon postpaid. Phone is locked to Verizon's network. Can be unlocked after $150 credits or 12 months whichever comes first, iirc.

Several other prepaid MVNOs offer similar deals for the iPhone SE, of course locked to their service.

Last edited:
Reactions: wborisenok

ivnmetal

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2014
Carriers are offering the iPhone SE in discounted prepaid kits.

AT&T has theirs for $150 (although Best Buy was running a $10 off promo for a couple of weeks) and you can use it right away on AT&T postpaid. Phone is locked to AT&T's network. Can be unlocked after 6 months of active service.

Verizon has theirs for $200 and you need to pay for one month of Verizon prepaid (~$30-40?) before you can switch it over to Verizon postpaid. Phone is locked to Verizon's network. Can be unlocked after $150 credits or 12 months whichever comes first, iirc.

Several other prepaid MVNOs offer similar deals for the iPhone SE, of course locked to their service.
That's correct. What I did is buy the Verizon one but got it unlocked that same day due to my friend having a Verizon account. woot!

swester

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2010
Sounds silly, but one of the reasons i want a smaller iPhone is because i will not check my phone that often, so i will have more time for important things.

The 4.7 and 5.5 screen sizes are just too comfortable for checking videos, pictures etc. I didn't have that need when i was rocking the 3gs till 5s.

Trust me, the screen difference really has nothing to do with your use. You use it more because there is simply more to do with it now than in the 3GS-5 days.

I found having an Apple Watch, believe it or not, led to the most dramatic decrease in phone usage.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
It’s the most beautiful iPhone model ever being made in my honest opinion. I just love the flat design of the phone and the combination of aluminum with glass and flat camera. if only they would make a second gen SE with the same features as the iPhone 8 and option to scale down the icons on the home screen for more room to view the wallpaper, then I’d buy, too!

Reactions: ivnmetal

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
Just got back from the AT&T store to check out the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus to compare against my trusty iPhone SE. Not a fan of the true tone displays (too warm). Once I disabled this I liked the cool color of the screens. Surprisingly I didn't enjoy the new glass back at all. I prefer touching metal on the back, and wouldn't benefit from wireless charging. After using them both for about 10 minutes, I prefer my pocket rocket SE and left the store. Still so happy that I was able to get one for $140 and saved at least $560 (iPhone 8) and $660 (iPhone 8 Plus) by sticking with my SE. Not to mention what I got for my 7 Plus.

ivnmetal

Cancelled
Sep 19, 2014
Just got back from the AT&T store to check out the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus to compare against my trusty iPhone SE. Not a fan of the true tone displays (too warm). Once I disabled this I liked the cool color of the screens. Surprisingly I didn't enjoy the new glass back at all. I prefer touching metal on the back, and wouldn't benefit from wireless charging. After using them both for about 10 minutes, I prefer my pocket rocket SE and left the store. Still so happy that I was able to get one for $140 and saved at least $560 (iPhone 8) and $660 (iPhone 8 Plus) by sticking with my SE. Not to mention what I got for my 7 Plus.
That's awesome! I snagged a Verizon ver. ($200) but got it unlocked thanks to my friend's account.

hmorneau

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2016
I now understand all the love for the iphone SE. I currently have an iphone 6s and I'm starting to want to change. I mainly wanted to change to get wireless charging (I miss that feature so much, had an android before the 6s). So I went to apple store to grab the 8. But two day before I went to grab a SE to see what the buzz is all about. I never had a small screen since the iphone 4 in 2010 and in my head I didn't wanted to go back to smaller. But after using the SE for the last 2 days I really like it. The size is perfect. But there is no wireless charging and no haptic engine (and the vibration of the SE is pretty loud). Today I got the 8, and it feel bulky, but there is wireless charging. Now I don't know what to do. I should probably return both phone, hold on my 6s for now and wait for the SE 2 (and hopefully it will have an haptic engine and maybe wireless charging). I have pretty small hand, and using a SE making everything so much easier.

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
Hey, I was just on the phone with a Verizon rep about a question I had on my account. We got to chatting a bit and as we spoke about the Apple phones, she mentioned to me that the SE 2 will be coming out later this year. I asked her to clarify, and she said that was what she was told in her recent training. The SE accounts for a “decent number” of their iPhone sales apparently.

Obviously don’t know anything more than that, or accuracy/truthfulness, but since this topic is on the SE, and hey, it’s macrumors, just thought I’d share so SE fans can investigate if they want... :)

ccprstuff

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2008
Austin TX
Just make sure you keep your eyes on the road XD
Don't have an SE, but have an iPhone 5 (same dimemsions). Use it for navigation all the time. Works well. Maps and turns display big enough to comprehend with a quick glance.
Use a CD phone mount that keeps phone at about eye level.
Might pick up two of the cheapie prepaid SEs at Best Buy to use on my ATT postpaid family plan to tide us over for a year or so and scrapping plans to buy 2 8s this year.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The thing that probably has pushed me over to the x is the camera. I have a really exoctic vacation the first of the year, and I want a good camera that is always with me (in my phone). I’m at Disney right now, and finally realizing the SE camera just cannot cut in, specifically low light photos. The noise and time it takes to properly focus has been driving me a little crazy these last two days.

I don’t want to just buy a camera that will only be used here and there, so I have decided to just get the x

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
But after using the SE for the last 2 days I really like it. The size is perfect. But there is no wireless charging and no haptic engine (and the vibration of the SE is pretty loud). Today I got the 8, and it feel bulky, but there is wireless charging. Now I don't know what to do.

There are Qi wireless charging cases available for the SE, but they are probably inelegant and not sure about quality.

masands

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2010
The iPhone SE is the best phone I’ve ever used. Hand down. It reminds me of my iPhone 5 with iOS 6. And iOS 11 runs really well on it.

If they update it with the tech in the iPhone 8, I’ll be really happy.

Fabmac

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2017
The thing that probably has pushed me over to the x is the camera. I have a really exoctic vacation the first of the year, and I want a good camera that is always with me (in my phone). I’m at Disney right now, and finally realizing the SE camera just cannot cut in, specifically low light photos. The noise and time it takes to properly focus has been driving me a little crazy these last two days.

I don’t want to just buy a camera that will only be used here and there, so I have decided to just get the x
Id you are really serios about pictures and low light performance there is no other way than a camera like dslr or evil with a decent lense

Every device has its usage iPhone do great pictures but a camera is a different thing

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Id you are really serios about pictures and low light performance there is no other way than a camera like dslr or evil with a decent lense

Every device has its usage iPhone do great pictures but a camera is a different thing

I’m mostly comparing camera phone to camera phone. The SE compared to the 7plus is pretty drastic. I’m sure the X will make it look very dated.

serpico007

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
I've used wireless charging since the Nokia 1020 that I bought for the camera mostly and give Windows Phone a try. Charging is very slow which no one tells you. Isn't it slower on the new iPhones too? Something about safety standards of not charging it too fast so the phone and pad doesn't get hot. Think I read that somewhere when it was popular with android and Windows Phone. Very convenient but you need to align the phone properly with the charge pad. It won't charge otherwise.

So of course, yesterday at work I got made fun of my phone. Some called it an iPod touch or toy. Same thing I went through when I started using the Plus 3 years ago. It's like everyone forgot we all used to use this size for how many years. Of course, the one thing that everyone agreed they missed was one handed use when they commute on the train and bus. To me, commuting everyday and losing that functionality, is a big thing if I was in their shoes.

Battery has been great, two days without a charge. Can't recall the last time that happened!

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I'm very happy to find this thread. I've read every post and find it interesting reading different perspectives. I too own an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB jet black version that is 4 months old. My previous phone was the iPhone 6 plus which I used for a couple of years. When I upgraded I was so happy to find the jet black model and thought I did the right thing to stay with the Plus models. It was hard to think of getting any other phone size and have all the bells and whistles too.

After watching the event last week I really thought I would buy the X even though it's only been 4 months with the 7+. A few of my co-workers are ready to cancel early their carrier contracts and I was pumped. We all thought the 8 model is such a tired design now. But I started thinking about the issues I have with a large phone and wondered how it would be to live with a smaller phone again. I bought the SE 128GB model in space gray and it should arrive this week.

After all these years I'm looking forward to holding and using a one handed phone again. Walking the dog, drinking coffee and more without using a second hand to touch an icon or type. To be able to slip it in my front pocket and take it with me in every season. You know how hard it is during summer with no pockets! The past year or so I've noticed my hands aching from holding and reading the plus models.

I signed up to just follow and write in this thread and looking forward to reading more around here after my experience. Not sure if I will sell the 7+ or keep it as a backup. I just can't believe I'm doing this and my friends and co-workers will be shocked too. I'm normally the guy who owns the latest tech but functionality use is more important to me. I'll use my iPad Pro 12.9" for everything else!

Easy one-handed use is a big big plus which the 4.7" (and larger) phones can't match.

I cannot do without it.

I have a 6s. And if I could go back in time, I would've waited 6 months longer for the SE.

The SE was unforeseen by me.

TrickyTreeRed

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2017
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any regrets purchasing the SE?

I’m looking to dip a toe back into the iPhone world and have narrowed my search to either the SE or 6s. I’ve played around with both at the local Apple Store.

As a larger-screen Android user (BlackBerry DTEK60), I initially thought I would prefer the size and form of the 6s, but I find it slippery to hold and it does not really stir the soul. The SE feels great in the hand and seems to have a better build quality.

I’m not into selfies but am curious about the 3D Touch feature. Is it of any use? I also have recently purchased an iPad Pro, if that would have any impact.

Thanks!

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I got my SE for $150 brand new so absolutely no regrets here. At that price point, it's very easy to ignore minor issues. I think camera's probably the biggest downside compared to higher end models but it takes good enough pictures for me.

Reactions: TrickyTreeRed
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.