I buy the new iPhone every year...and I just bought an iPhone SE instead

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wborisenok, Sep 13, 2017.

1. SmugMaverick macrumors member

SmugMaverick

I'm heading to Pixel 2 XL now instead, it's what the X should have been.

Large screen with small bezels, amazing cameras and a smooth OS.

Full QHD OLED, fast charging out the box, no animoji crap, more useful OS features over iOS 11.

I've had every iPhone but I can't be taken for a mug anymore by Tiny Tim.

2. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I have an iPhone SE 128 GB that I use as a sort of backup device for long hikes, or when I am on vacation and want to hide from responsibility.

Never felt underfunded at any time. :)

I agree with the original poster. It is an entirely usable and modern device that lacks nothing except maybe Band 71.

But all iPhones lack Band 71.

My regular iPhone is a 7 Plus.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2017 ---
    I have had a second look at the LG V30.

I believe that both the 8 Plus and iPhone X are superior performers, but I might consider using the V30 for a year while Apple considers producing a Band 71 SIM-Free version of whatever the next flagship would be called.

3. Dubba macrumors regular

I upgraded to the 7+ last year from my 5S (when it was on the verge of breaking), and I have no regrets.

My wife's 5 was on the verge of dying over the summer, and kept it alive in anticipation of what would come out at the keynote.

My wife prefers the smaller form factor, so the phones up for considerations were the 8 or the X. She was not prepared to spend $1,150+Tax on the X, and the 8 felt like a marginal improvement on the 7... and given that it was not available in Rose Gold, we ended up getting her a Rose Gold 7 128GB for $650+Tax.

It should be noted that we only upgrade our phone when they die / break / are on the verge of no longer working.

4. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I really really really want an SE2 now.

Give me an OLED screen, or P3 LED screen, and same everything else (not because I Want same everything else, but because I know Apple all too well now), and I'd be a happy camper.

Added bonuses- A10 or A11, 2nd gen Touch ID, improved camera

The quality of the screen, tho do-able and not horrendous, is my biggest gripe with SE1 and outdoor visibility. But still not enough to not love it.

[​IMG]

5. subjonas macrumors 6502a

The SE is the phone for minimalists. It does everything a 4.7 and 5.5 does but on a screen that doesn’t compromise one-handed use (well a little, the 3.5” screen was more ideal, but that’s another conversation).

I think the reason big phones are popular now is because over time people’s demands have changed. People used to use their phones for quick tasks, quick information. Now it seems most people want to be plugged in and immersed in their screens all the time. The phone is not just a utility now, it’s an escape. Of course the big screen can be useful for productivity too, but I’d say for most people most of the time its main function is to kill time.

Not to say I don’t like to kill time sometimes. I just don’t want:need that ability ALL the time.

Why does everyone not want a Hummer as their commuter car? I think that would be the better analogy.

Do the sites you visit not resize for mobile devices?

I rarely need to look at the actual map. The best navigation (for driving) is the one I don’t need to look at at all. It’s much safer to rely on voice only. But when I need to look, all I really need to see is the next direction which is displayed in text really big at the top of the screen, which is very easy to read. Also on the map I can see the general “shape” of my route. All that means I pretty much never have to study the map and read street names, which would probably be dangerous no matter the screen size.

I wish the SE had 3D Touch for quick app switching and moving the text cursor, but to me those are not nearly as important as one-handed use.

6. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Well put.

7. nilk macrumors 6502a

After a week with the iPhone SE I ended up returning it. If I had got it at a better price, I might've kept at it, but I had paid $450 for the 128GB model, and at that price it just isn't worth it considering the hardware downgrades, despite the form factor being wonderful. I had no problem adjusting down to the smaller size. After 3 or 4 days, using the smaller keyboard felt natural and my accuracy was getting better each day. Web browsing felt worse initially, but I adjusted to that and it wasn't a problem. I missed 3D Touch and think it is a worthwhile, but could live without it.

I ended up getting a used iPhone 7. If an SE with updated hardware that has up-to-date features, or a smaller X-style phone comes out, I'll revisit. I want to eventually have a phone with dual cameras, so I may not end up with a small phone as I don't see that feature coming to smaller phones, at least in an iPhone.

I am a little tempted to buy the $150 iPhone SE 32GB (AT&T prepaid) from Best Buy. I'm on AT&T so this would be a great backup phone. But I already have a backup phone (iPhone 6 128GB), for occasions where I need to get one of our main phones repaired or whatever.

8. democracyrules macrumors 6502

Are you talking about me ;)? You nail it!! I am one of the people you are talking about. I am using my beautiful eye catching product red iPhone 7 Plus to kill time beside for calling and texting. I check MacRumor because I am killing time :):D and like to be entertained by many posts with all dramas in discussions :)I am using my phone also to watch Netflix and YouTube. That is the fact that most of us have been doing it. Well said and excellent points!!

9. tr1ad macrumors newbie

My launch day SE is still in rotation, I've bounced around between plus models and even the Galaxy 8 and 8+, yet I return to the form factor and great design that is the SE. This is the longest I've kept a device.

I do believe that when the honeymoon phase of the 8+ is over I'll return to the SE

10. TrickyTreeRed macrumors member

TrickyTreeRed

Well l've joined the SE club!

I've ordered a lightly used, unlocked 128gb SE from a Canadian-based eBay store that sells only used and off-lease iPhones and Samsung smartphones. I snagged the last one with 128gb of storage for $360 CDN (about $290 US). It was only $20 more than the 64gb configuration on offer and I'm saving about $275 compared with buying new directly from the Apple Store. Too bad it's rose gold... but that's what cases are for!

As Monday is Thanksgiving here in Canada, I should have my mitts on it next Tuesday or Wednesday. It should be a nice back-up and travel phone to have around.

11. MartyvH macrumors newbie

MartyvH

I bought the space grey but I like looking at the rose gold. I just like looking at it, it's very satisfying. It's the same with the other colours. Like those YouTube videos of satisfying things.

The SE is like a classic car. Plenty under the hood and it has the looks. It's a timeless design. I'm done with big phones. This is the lifestyle phone.

12. TheBrokenBee macrumors member

TheBrokenBee

I agree but its old and rattly like a classic too. I absolutely hate how the rattling still exists in this design.

13. ACST macrumors regular

What small bezels, even the Galaxy 7 (from 1.5 years ago) has smaller bezels it's bezels are barely any smaller than that of the iphone 8 plus (76 vs 67% relative screen to body ratio). Plus if we want to talk about an ugly phone....

14. MartyvH macrumors newbie

MartyvH

Rattling? It feels very solid to me.

15. TheBrokenBee macrumors member

TheBrokenBee

If you shake the phone, I hear a rattle near the top of the phone.

16. MartyvH, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

MartyvH macrumors newbie

MartyvH

No rattle with mine. Though it does ask me if I want to undo my last action. :)
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    I use Gboard because of its accurate gesture typing and you just run your finger across the spacebar to move the cursor. No jailbreak needed.

17. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I'll try it out this weekend...thanks.

18. geta macrumors 6502a

The rattle\noise coming from the camera or maybe from the on\off button (top right corner). I had this 'noise' with the 4s (was the worst), 5, and now the SE. With the SE i can hear it only when im putting the phone on hard surfaces...

19. TheBrokenBee macrumors member

TheBrokenBee

Mine is in a apple case and I still hear it if I shake it lightly also.

20. geta macrumors 6502a

Seems like yours behave like the old 4s i had... i was surprised to see it's still existing with the SE after all these years, but i can live with that.

21. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

It’s the accelerometer

22. nilk macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 7 also rattles, as does a 6 and 4S I just tried shaking. I think it's one of the moving parts in the camera module. I assume this is normal, but haven't tried it in enough different devices.

Edit: Accelerometer makes more sense.

23. Azzurro macrumors regular

Dreaming of an A10 SE with TouchID2 and 7MP facetime. *drools*

24. Ovenall macrumors member

my 7 plus is just not much of an improvement over the 6. I really like the phone, but it appears we are at a point where the tech has caught up with the usability. All these little improvements (except for better and better cameras) are kind of pointless when all I do is web, email, phone, camera, and a handful of other apps. And the apps have been changing, but roughly the same for a few years now. We've got all this new power...to do pretty much the same stuff we've been doing for several years.

I can't see upgrading until my 7 plus dies.

25. PBz macrumors 6502a

PBz

Came from 6S+ I tried the SE. Couldn’t stay small. Went 8+.