Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I agree with you 100%. I want that form factor AND upgradability. Can't do that? Don't release anything till you can.

Next thread.

(It's fun being harsh....just go with it)

I sense the ozony scent of facetiousness. I wouldn't go so far as to say no new systems without form AND substance, however, keeping upgradable options for the foreseeable future would certainly work for many of us.

Cheers,

Tanax

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2011
Stockholm, Sweden
Meh, I can't service it myself either. It's rubbish.

/sarcasm

Hardly the same.
Would you buy a guitar if you can't change the strings yourself but have to turn it in to a store? Or a lamp if you couldn't change the lightbulb? That would be a more similar comparison.

Note that I'm not complaining about RAM nor SSD upgradability in the new MBPr, I just wanted to say that your comparison isn't really fair(also directed to the person you quoted and not only you).

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I keep going back and forth on this .. Honestly a new Mac or iPad has been part of my yearly new gadget obsession. At $2500 for a toy I really don't need, it makes me stop and think every time I'm about to click the order button.

I think with windows 8 coming into play, Ice cream sandwich being a equal competitor with iOS, I think it just might be time to take a break from apple and just jump ship to windows and android.

Que apple fanboy comments

bhtooefr

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2011
Newark, OH, USA
I think with windows 8 coming into play, <snip> I think it just might be time to take a break from apple and just jump ship to windows and android.

For that matter, I'm someone who will probably end up using Windows as the primary OS on a MBPR, and I think Win8 is a reason to jump ship from Windows.

But, Win7 will have support through 2020, so...

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
For that matter, I'm someone who will probably end up using Windows as the primary OS on a MBPR, and I think Win8 is a reason to jump ship from Windows.

But, Win7 will have support through 2020, so...

My work already makes lug around this Dell POS, and so by default I end up using it for everything. The MBA is nice b/c it slips right into computer bag with the dell an dont even notice the weight.

I would love a retina display. I could even talk myself into going back to a 4.5 lb laptop from the air, but then at $2500, with no chance of upgradability and only a 256 memory stick, I keep asking myself why do this to myself? Too many comprimises ....

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
I keep going back and forth on this .. Honestly a new Mac or iPad has been part of my yearly new gadget obsession. At $2500 for a toy I really don't need, it makes me stop and think every time I'm about to click the order button.

I think with windows 8 coming into play, Ice cream sandwich being a equal competitor with iOS, I think it just might be time to take a break from apple and just jump ship to windows and android.

As much as I prefer OS X to Windows in all but gaming it might come to that if this trend continues. I gave my iPhone to my wife over a year ago and haven't looked back. On the other hand I ditched my Motorola Xoom for the NEW iPad sacrificing flexibility for stability and app support.

For my primary system I have a hard time leaving OS X for work. Let's just hope a fairly upgradable option remains in the laptop product mix for the foreseeable future.

Cheers,

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Hardly the same.
Would you buy a guitar if you can't change the strings yourself but have to turn it in to a store? Or a lamp if you couldn't change the lightbulb? That would be a more similar comparison.

Note that I'm not complaining about RAM nor SSD upgradability in the new MBPr, I just wanted to say that your comparison isn't really fair(also directed to the person you quoted and not only you).
I see your point of view. Mine is different since I don't consider a computer to be similar to a lamp or a guitar.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
The only thing I ever really upgrade on my personal laptops are the ram and the hard drive. I guess as long as I get what I need from the beginning I am good.

As for servicing, I hope once I am past my warranty I can service things myself. Probably not happening for anything past the keyboard and screen.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
and upgrades will be available down the road from sources like OWC.

I keep hearing that OWC will come to save the day. Touch that "stock" drive in your pricey machine and the warranty is dead.

Advanced repairs will be more complicated but I'm not sure that particular matter deserves much attention.
??? :eek:

What about RAM dying after the 13th month? If no AppleCare that's a complete motherboard change. May as well chuck your Mac into a dumpster.

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
I keep hearing that OWC will come to save the day. Touch that "stock" drive in your pricey machine and the warranty is dead.

??? :eek:

What about RAM dying after the 13th month? If no AppleCare that's a complete motherboard change. May as well chuck your Mac into a dumpster.

but on the other hand if you have applecare and something goes wrong, they'll most probably give you a new laptop and I think if they release new one they'll give you the new one

Richard Crisman

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
New Mexico
I dont really see a problem with this except for the fact that you can't get the base model with a bigger SSD. Otherwise just max out the ram (or not, 8 gigs is still a ton) and sell it in a few years if you feel the need to upgrade. I don't see the resale value falling much in 2-3 years.

It's killer right now. If you could grab 20 of these you could be rollin' in a Benzo in three weeks.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
but on the other hand if you have applecare and something goes wrong, they'll most probably give you a new laptop and I think if they release new one they'll give you the new one

This is true but for non-educational buyers it pushes the min price to $2550 before taxes for a machine that can never really be upgraded or worked on. And what happens to the user who has a ram glitch at month 39? Unlikely but it happens. Means we have to buy new computers at least every 3 years.

Cheers,

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Well, sure... *if* you have AppleCare. (You guys are always spending everyone else's money) :).

Some of us can't get it. In my case, I spilled coffee on mine while it was still under a year old. It works fine but I'm sure the liquid sensor alarm tripped and I'm not eligible for AppleCare.

But you help make a point. In one fell swoop Apple has leveraged it's future revenue by:

1.) making the extra cost of AppleCare even more necessary because of proprietary parts.

2.) forcing users into a paid iCloud account because internal storage is limited (and taboo to change).

This is clearly where things are headed. I don't know whether to be pissed or sell my house to buy Apple stock :confused:

NickZac

macrumors 68000
Dec 11, 2010
I will NOT be buying a new MBP. I planned to, but after hearing that if one thing breaks, you need to replace the computer is ridiculous. RAM does go bad, as do hard drives. In fact, they are the top 2 failure points. Even SSDs can fail. As opposed to popping one of my numerous other SSDs in, or one of my many RAM chips, I am down and out of the game. Are you serious? And 3rd party RAM and SSDs are usually cheaper, and just as good if not better...that's kind of become part of having a mac laptop. And some 3rd party companies have built themselves around Apple...not good news for them :(

And..uhh, glue and one-time, one-way screws? Are you kidding me? My 2011 MBP has been the greatest computer I've ever owned. The 2.3 MBP Retina not having CPU performance much above mine didn't bother me, and I was ready to buy one, probably with the 2.7. But so if (probably when) someone makes a 16 gig RAM chip, my current MBP could theoretically take 32 GB of RAM, where as the new one couldn't. And the SSD stats are impressive but my Samsung and Vertex 3 still massacre it, and my M4 does better read which I use a lot more than write.

I personally would have taken more weight for the more user-serviceable parts. I'm really let down by this, even if there was no way around it. But this is all just me. Your opinion will vary.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
I will NOT be buying a new MBP. I planned to, but after hearing that if one thing breaks, you need to replace the computer is ridiculous. RAM does go bad, as do hard drives. In fact, they are the top 2 failure points. Even SSDs can fail. As opposed to popping one of my numerous other SSDs in, or one of my many RAM chips, I am down and out of the game. Are you serious? And 3rd party RAM and SSDs are usually cheaper, and just as good if not better...that's kind of become part of having a mac laptop. And some 3rd party companies have built themselves around Apple...not good news for them :(

And..uhh, glue and one-time, one-way screws? Are you kidding me? My 2011 MBP has been the greatest computer I've ever owned. The 2.3 MBP Retina not having CPU performance much above mine didn't bother me, and I was ready to buy one, probably with the 2.7. But so if (probably when) someone makes a 16 gig RAM chip, my current MBP could theoretically take 32 GB of RAM, where as the new one couldn't. And the SSD stats are impressive but my Samsung and Vertex 3 still massacre it, and my M4 does better read which I use a lot more than write.

I personally would have taken more weight for the more user-serviceable parts. I'm really let down by this, even if there was no way around it. But this is all just me. Your opinion will vary.

I am in the same boat
I have the mid 2010 17"
screen sharp like hell Nvidea card that I like ( better than the AMD)
I can replace hard drive, memory, and battery
and internal DVD
I think Apple will some how come back with this 17" monster for people that need a work station and not a one time laptop

uaecasher

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2009
Stillwater, OK
This is clearly where things are headed. I don't know whether to be pissed or sell my house to buy Apple stock :confused:

haha, I'd recommend the later.

For me I'll probably sell it after 2 years and get better one OR keep it for longer time and if apple makes a good job with Mac Pro I'd get one.

CodeCowboy

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Dallas, TX
Hdd.

The real annoying thing to me isn't that you can't upgrade the ram... it's that they limit the upgrade options to try to shoe-horn you into the higher end model.

The .3 processor difference between the 2.3 and the 2.6 isn't worth the upgrade to me... but if I want a larger drive, I'm forced to get the processor too.

$600 for a drive that's only 250G larger doesn't impress me much. (since I don't care about the extra processing power)

There isn't a valid reason to not allow HDD upgrades/downgrades independent of the processor.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I'm torn.

I want one. I think it would be a great replacement for my 5 year old MacBook Pro.

But it's too expensive for a machine that can't be tinkered with. Part of the reason why me and my current Macbook Pro (due for replacement) have gotten along so well over the past 5 years is because it's been able to keep up with my changing demands. I've upgraded the RAM, swapped out the superdrive, added a bigger, faster HDD, brought new batteries to keep it going.

I can't do that with the rMBP meaning that I'll be better off with the Ivy Bridge refresh of the regular machine.

Which is disappointing, because it was the most exciting thing I'd seen Apple announce for some time.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
OK, so don't buy it. Most consumers do not actually upgrade their computers in general and even fewer would upgrade a notebook.

nomanstool

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2010
better yet, buy the Macbook Pro non-retina display. It's the same as the last year form factor as well as bumped specs, problem solved.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
I'm not entitled to my opinion?

Please show me where I said the person is not allowed to spend his money? It's basic reading comprehension.

Thanks.

I think it's ok for people to spend their money how they wish. Some people are happy with a $20 watch. Some prefer a $1000. Others prefer a $30,000 one. How does that impact you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.