Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
You really are full of yourself. It's annoying because you're also an idiot and your arguments don't hold up.

I agree on one thing - internet forums are full of (unwanted) opinions. It's easier to behave like a jerk when you're hidden behind your anonymity....

I couldn't have said this better, thank you :)

penter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2006
It gets even worse, because every single text message I send concerns yo-yo's.

ROTFLMAO

I should have used a different title to my thread, this is not a "Yo" problem.
I couldn't have said this better, thank you :)

Man, i feel your pain. 52 posts, and not a SINGLE answer. how freekin annoying.
My own posts here are hypocritical in that aspect, but i wanted to say that i can see why you'd be impatient by now.

Btw, sorry, but I can't help you with that one, I dont even own an iPhone or iPod touch.
Lets just hope that we see some improvements over this issue in future firmware releases....

KRH-1

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2008
Adding custom words to iPhone

Apologies if this has already been answered, but the thread was getting way too long to read all the way through!

One way to get your iPhone to recognise the word 'Yo', and other custom words, is to create a dummy contact containing the word as one of the names.
Apparently the iPhone also recognises any names you have entered along with the in-built dictionary, and won't suggest a correction.

To stop these getting in the way of real contacts I just use the surname Z, and put the word in question as the first name. Not the most elegant solution, but it works.

I used this for the word 'marra' - apparently the iPhone doesn't do Geordie dialect!

samiam762

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
another interesting find...

Actually, another interesting solution I've found is that I've typed lol and Xed out LOL enough times that if i type loll, or 'lol' and any other letter, it automatically changes it to its suggested "lol" (no caps!)...
So this seems to be the end of my LOL days, and people thinking I'm weird for capitalizing it... loll

Is this just me, btw, or have other people found this to work?

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

samiam762 said:
Actually, another interesting solution I've found is that I've typed lol and Xed out LOL enough times that if i type loll, or 'lol' and any other letter, it automatically changes it to its suggested "lol" (no caps!)...
So this seems to be the end of my LOL days, and people thinking I'm weird for capitalizing it... loll

Is this just me, btw, or have other people found this to work?

You know, you can manually add words to the dictionary by adding them to the phonebook. In fact I just added LOL (all caps) to an existing contact as a nickname. As you can see, it works perfectly. LOL :D

raziiq

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
if you have a jailbroken iphone then you can install an app using Cydia that can disable this autocorrection function of iphone.

bk888

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
Real solution: use the spanish keyboard

Better solution: stop using yo unless you're typing in spanish.

Joe23

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I think your unit is faulty. Can you check to see if both speakers are working?

ivan123

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
New Zealand
I can't write nz without it auto-correcting to ms even with the contacts thing.
the only way to write nz without auto-correcting is add nz to the contacts then write jz

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I can't write nz without it auto-correcting to ms even with the contacts thing.
the only way to write nz without auto-correcting is add nz to the contacts then write jz
Sounds like you've found a workaround!

ivan 123 = 1, Apple = 0! ;)

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
It is sort of sad that a phone that is so "smart" needs so many stupid work arounds. I love my phone but...

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
i think all iPhones should come with profanity in the dictionary.
its pretty common, he'll, all of us use it!
it should be included.
and why are you guys using abbreviations like "w/" when you have a full qwerty keyboard and have to switch to symbols to add the "/" when tis probably just easier to type "with".
i can understand using "w/" on a 9 digit alphanumeric keypad, but not a full qwerty where you have to switch keyboards.

oh, and since when have people used "yo" so regularly anymore?
odd...

bc a sms only has 160 signs so i have to use as less letters as possible ^^

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I agree that the 'yo' thing is annoying. Same with the swearing.

Too bad there was a specific place on the phone we could list words we wanted in the dictionary.

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
Is there a way to make it learn "w/" ?...

I like to abbreviate "with" in that fashion...and it automatically makes it "a/" for some random reason...it pisses me off.

Saves me two keystrokes, if I can get it to work. :eek:

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
It is sort of sad that a phone that is so "smart" needs so many stupid work arounds. I love my phone but...
Exactly. It is ridiculous. And yet I love my phone, too. Maybe that's why it's so frustrating - it's so great in many respects, but so lacking in others. :(

Lightbrazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
I get "la" when I abbreviate Pennsylvania.

and I live in Kentucky and every time I try to type ky it is corrected to 'it'.

Actually the iphone has an excuse on these two at least. State abbreviations are always in capital letters. If you type PA or KY it does not attempt to correct you. However, when writing about Ky jelly it will. And that's just plain unacceptable!

Nicolecat

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2008
They'll end up pimping it to some random joe blow on the black market...
I could never handle that for my sweet little child. ;)

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
sure...

I've been doing this in notepad. I've typed "yo" about 50 times and it still corrects it to 'to"

and Jericho, dont listen to some of these people, dude... its obvious some forget it's 2008 and act like the word "yo" is foreign and urban, and actually STILL have opinion about the word.

Yes, but using yo in all or even the majority of text messages seems a little much.

OC513

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2007
NYC
Same Problem

Apple needs to fix this......simple enough to make the user able to add words to his own phones dictionary. Come on Apple.....its the little things you keep MISSING!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.