I can't return my IP4!!!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macman20, Jul 6, 2010.

1. macman20 macrumors member

I have bought mine from bestbuy on 28 June. It had green cloud issue. So i went to apple genius bar so they can check it out. They couldn't figure out and gave me refurbish IP4. I took that phone home and found out it also had this green cloud in the middle of screen. I went back to app store and wanted to return with full refund until they came out with upgrade. Guy told me that i cant return my phone even though i am still under 14 day. According to him, this phone is refurbish and cannot be return. So i went best buy and they told me this phone has a different serial number and they can't refund it either :confused:

Any advise?
    Thanks

2. hcho3 macrumors 68030

You cannot blame bestbuy because you are actually returning a phone with different serial number. I am surprised bestbuy figured this out though... Most of their employees are not smart enough to figure this out. Anyway, I would take this up to apple. Also, iphone doesn't have 14 days return policy. It's 30 days.

3. Fant macrumors regular

Simple .. just ask them to give you back your original iphone that apple took from you ... then return to best buy ...

4. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

That's ridiculous...go back to Apple and make a stink...:mad:

5. themagicman00 macrumors member

Do nit waste your time with bestbuy, they will not exchange an iPhone with a different serial number than the one they sold. Go to the genius again and explain your situation. One time at band camp:......seriously once I exchange a fpphone 3 times within 5 days. Go to the apple store....if they say no tomorrow, go Thursday,,,or Friday. There is a reason why they won customer satisfaction in 2009

6. galenmd macrumors regular

If you paid with a credit card, dispute the charges. They will rule in your favor. You have 30 days. Only exception is if you broke it.

7. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

it's the oldest trick in the book.. buy a new one, put the old one in the new box and return it.. EVERYONE checks serial numbers

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

BS FAIL.

There are NO refurb iPhone 4 right now.

9. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Wow, when I went to the genius bar this weekend that's exactly what the warned me about. He told me my best bet if I wanted to try a different iPhone was to return and repurchase, but that if I was very sure that I was keeping the iPhone he would make an exception and exchange mine but that I would be losing the abitlity to return it because the replacement would have a different serial number than my box. I thought he was just making up bs, but I guess he was right. Good thing I listened to him.

10. army91c macrumors 6502a

Classic! What made you think you would be able to return a different phone than you purchased? Pure folly on your part. Just go swap out that one for another.

11. eyespii macrumors 6502

your story has me worried! I purchased my ip4 at the apple store on release day, had it replaced a few days later for yellow screen issues, and now am planning to return said replacement for a full refund due to reception problems. I noticed that when I got my receipt for the replacement it said "no returns" on it, but I didn't think twice about that!

Are they seriously not going to let me return my replacement iPhone 4? That's the lamest thing I've ever heard if true.

12. ducktales macrumors regular

why is it lame ? It don't match the serial # of the one you've purchased. pretty standard.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

but it is a result of having an initial faulty product. Surely they have a method for dealing with this

14. eyespii macrumors 6502

the one i purchased was defective. i returned to the store i bought it at, and exchanged it. now i want a refund because although the replacement fixed the yellow screen problem, it has problems of its own.

the policy is lame because replacing your faulty $500 device shouldn't negate the return policy included in your original purchase.

15. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

There must be some consumer protection agency in the US! Ask them for opinion, obviously these guys don't know anything.

You purchased in good faith, the phone was faulty; maybe Apple, maybe Best Buy made a mistake, so you shouldn't suffer from their mistakes.

Also, please, please, have everything in writing from the store, ask the manager to accept the facts in writing.

If necessary, write to both Apple and Best Buy and explain the situation clearly and with supported evidence.

16. T-Stex macrumors 6502

Probably just a white box iPhone. I assume they'd have fixed the screen if it were a refurb.

17. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

apple gives you documentation when a phone is replaced...maybe try taking that to BB, to show them that the serial number you purchased was swapped out for the new serial number, worth a shot

18. supremeMilo macrumors member

Fail.

1. There are no refurbished iphones yet.

2. Name another product you can return after having service done to it.

19. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

can't be mad at bestbuy for this.

your beef should be with apple.

20. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

While true, it doesn't mean the replacement phones don't have different serial numbers assigned to them. Replacement phones start with 5K whether new or refurb.

21. supremeMilo macrumors member

Why should you get mad at Apple and not Best Buy?

22. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

best buy does not have to accept returns on items with a different serial number than the one they sold.

op needs to go to apple and get his phone back or they need to find a way to rectify the situation since it was their faulty product that brought op to them.

23. dalen3 macrumors newbie

Try apple again, talk to the manager. If that doesn't work write the managers name down and tell him/her that you will contact you state's office of attorney general, department of consumer affairs, FTC and FCC, and also send letters to your local newspapers, media and your congressman.

24. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

... or ask Apple for a phone with a working camera.

25. David-fr macrumors 6502

Holly cow! you forgot Steve Jobs!