I can't take it anymore. Tropic Thunder Rant!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by benlee, Aug 12, 2008.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I was just watching something on TV about the premiere of "Tropic Thunder" the new COMEDY by Ben Stiller.

According to the report, people with nothing else to do but protest a movie they likely haven't even seen lately because the liberal use of the word "retard".

Seriously, we really need to stop this over sensitive B.S.

First of all, movies are supposed to have at least some parallels to the real world and people use the word 'retard' in real life. Get over it. If people are *******s they are going to pick on "special needs", "disabled" and "special" people regardless of what is presented in a COMEDY.

Second of all, its a *&%$&* comedy movie you &%$#@ retards.

Please talk me down!

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Definiton:

Retard: Verb
    To Impede, slow, or limit
    Retard: Noun
    A person whose ability is impeded, slowed, or limited

Stupid PC Retards!

TEG

3. SilentGreg macrumors member

It made the 5'o-clock news here in Philadelphia. Funny, the story was actually ahead of the conflict in Georgia. Way to go ABC. :rolleyes:

4. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

aren't these the same people that said "handicapped" was offensive and wanted to use "handi-capable" instead? and isn't "retarded" a medical term anyway? i get why using retard as an insult could be offensive, but i didn't see anything offensive with the scene myself.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yeah, in the states it's the politically correct stuff that gets aired before the wars. In Australia it's the sport.

6. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

I have never called a special needs person a retard and have only used the word when to referring to people with presumably average IQs that do really stupid things--such as protesting a movie for the use of a word.

The sad thing is, things can only get worse. We are not going to move backwards in the Politically Correct Movement.

Where am I supposed to learn bad words, how to kill people, and what to call retards if I don't have my un-PC movies?

Who cares if it is offensive--it is a movie. Besides, it is impossible to go through life without offending someone. Perhaps people should stop looking to be offended and just deal with the fact that they are going to get offended--it is a part of life

Instead, maybe we should focus on REAL injustices that are present in the world

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Just like Stewardess and Flight Attendant.

We call them Isle Donkeys - saves the confusion.

8. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Personally I think "retard" is a little OTT but I hate that whole "handi-capable" bit. They're handicapped - as in they aren't as physically abled as someone who isn't handicapped. There's nothing extra capable about it!

10. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The French, the Hippies, and the Democrats/Liberals.

TEG

11. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Damn straight. Plus I'm all in favour of still using the medical term Cretin when it is appropriate. All this PC crap is getting too much now.

Someone should start a campaign saying that they find people in favour of political correctness offensive.

12. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

13. OscarTheGrouch macrumors 6502

Jesus christ, if we protested every movie with something in it to offend someone then we would never make any movies...

[​IMG]

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Exactly;

Star Wars - Promotes Violence, No Religion, Humans with Powers, Extra Terrestrials
    Star Trek - Promotes Science, No Religion Displayed, Extra Terrestrials, Evolution
    The Dark Knight - Vigilante Justice, Lies, Disturbing Image of Human Condition
    Dogma - Enough Said
    Bambi - Thumper has a reaction to a kiss, Bambi's Mother

Retards!

TEG

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

16. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

17. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Whoosh!

Reread the dictionary definition, and origin, of the word 'retard'. ;)

18. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Well, Touche! I do still blame the groups I mentioned for making a taboo word, even for proper use.

TEG

19. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

personally, i don't like the use of 'retard' as a derogatory term, but it still has a proper purpose as a medical dx. just control+:apple:+d on retarded to get the meaning.

the people wanting to boycott the film say it's to 'protect vulnerable disabled children'. in a way, they have a point, but i think their true goal is to make sure we can say nothing critical about children (or suggest discipline).

20. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know if a doctor would say someone was retarded, so when is there a proper situation to use the word 'retard'?

And when "partly sunny" replaced "partly cloudy".

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't mind either. I was getting an xray a week or so back, 2 doctors walked past talking about some "retarded growth of cells...". It has a place in medical science just not as a tool for insults.
    Having a cousin who most here would likely class as a "retard" I've seen what a little word like that can do to someone who doesn't fully understand why somone is calling him it.
    IMO of course.

23. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

I blame the French retards

24. gentlegiantcrai macrumors regular