I did it! Jailbreak for iPhone 3GS new bootrom AFTER update to 3.1.3

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dpivarnick, Mar 24, 2010.

1. dpivarnick macrumors newbie

It took me all nite, but I was able to re-jailbreak my iPhone 3GS after I got stuck in reboot mode after a network reset and was forced to update to 3.1.3.

This happened almost 3 weeks ago, and I not only lost my jailbreak, but all of the apps, photos and EVERYTHING that I had on my phone as after I did the update to 3.1.3 I could only set up my phone as a new device.

Anyway, I searched online and I found all of the tools I needed to accomplish this task.

I downloaded Redsn0w 0.9.2, BlackRa1n RC3, The 3.1.2 ispw firmware, and iRecovery.

I also found a post on hacking the drivers folder in the Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts file in Windows that would allow 3.1.3 to be downloaded to 3.1.2.

It took a couple of hours and some patience, but when all was said and done I was able to downgrade the firmware and re-jailbreak my phone.

YEEHAW!!!!!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I think this has been around for sometime. But it only works if one has the 3.1.2 or lower SHSH blob. Anyway great job.

3. dpivarnick thread starter macrumors newbie

It was good!

I did not have the SHSH files saved on Cydia. and it still worked. I followed the instructions that I found online, and even though my jailbreak did not occur in the same manner as was explained (I had to force a reboot after Redsn0w AND had to run iRecovery after to reboot out of restore mode and activate via iTunes), I still got it done. New bootrom (05.12.01) model MC137LL and all.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Could you post a full set of instructions as I find anything your saying hard to believe.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Is that even remotelly possible or you're just full of it?
    updated 3GS to stock 3.1.3 and without your SHSH's saved you jailbroke it?
    I call BS.

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

This is simply not possible. Either you had your SHSH on file without knowing it or you do not actually have a 3GS.

ETA: Or this could be BS.

7. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Why do people make crap up and go post on a forum they have never been on? What is the point?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Before this is discounted I have a friend on facebook who was whining about not being able to jailbreak after an accidental update to 3.1.3 someone posted that he some how by accident got it to work. He shortly after stated that he got it working too. They were rather amazed. I didn't bother trying because I don't need my phone jailbroken. I will post the instructions if you guys want to try it.

I didn't post it sooner because I too was sceptical. It involved iRecovery as well.

EDIT: I uploaded the conversation. The one person shortly after posted a status update saying it worked. I'm not claiming it does or does not work. So don't flame me...

Attached Files:

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lets not get into any of that nonsense.
    Someone on facebook claim this and that.
    If the Dev Team didnt find a way to do it without a new exploit on the 3GS its not possible no matter how many times you try redsnow, blackrain, irecovery and the rest. Its just not going to happen. The holes are patched.

11. erichkooi macrumors member

Hi dpivarnick,
    Is ur model MCxxxxx?

12. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Lol, so did the blowie ever happen?:D

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I see no reason why these friends would have lied about it. That being said, I am skeptical as well.

14. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Can you get a conformation? Ask to see it at school ect. See if their shsh blobs are saved if u do see cydia?
    i would love this but seriously this has to be a fluke or not legitimate. No way your friend(not doubting intelligence) has researched and done as much testing as some of the other people out there who are looking for this. If it worked everyone would know by now.

@erichkooi

"I did not have the SHSH files saved on Cydia. and it still worked. I followed the instructions that I found online, and even though my jailbreak did not occur in the same manner as was explained (I had to force a reboot after Redsn0w AND had to run iRecovery after to reboot out of restore mode and activate via iTunes), I still got it done. New bootrom (05.12.01) model MC137LL and all. "
    -OP

"Hi dpivarnick,
    Is ur model MCxxxxx?"

-erichkooi

hope i could have helped.

problem solved:
    Sn0wbreeze 3.1.3 has been released which can jailbreak iPhone
    2G, 3G and iPhone 3GS on the latest iPhone 3.1.3 firmware
    . One thing which is to be noted here is that it will work with iPhone 3GS only if it has the older bootrom (non-MC model). iPhone 3GS users who have upgraded to the stock 3.1.3 are still out of luck.
    http://www.redmondpie.com/sn0wbreeze-3.1.3-jailbreak-iphone-3g-3gs-3.1.3/

wait now ive just confused myself...

15. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I don't go to school with him anymore.

Maybe if I get some time I will try follow those instructions on my phone. As it is on 3.1.3 and unjailbroken.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I am too.
    Especially when he says I managed to downgrade to 3.1.2 but dont ask me how I did it or what I did :D
    Its not going to magically downgrade and bypass Apples signature server no matter what one claims unless they have their SHSH's saved thru cydia or are not using a 3GS model.

17. erichkooi macrumors member

18. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Seen that before. By posting it I guarantee 5 more threads about peopel with 3GS's can jailbreak will pop up

He fails to mention you needed to have previously jailbroken... when he updates it later he mentions.

19. erichkooi macrumors member

Hi Benji222,
    thanks n noted.

I guess most of us have to wait n see what is dev team next step after OS4.0 is out.

Thanks,
    Eric

20. dpivarnick thread starter macrumors newbie

I know some of you have read this and are thinking this is BS, but I am not lying.

I was forced to update to 3.1.3 a few weeks ago after doing a network reset and having my phone get stuck on the apple logo boot screen. After eventually putting the phone into recovery mode and trying to do a restore using 3.1.2 (which is what I had on my 3GS - and YES I do have a 3GS to the BONEHEAD that thought I couldn't tell the difference), and was denied the restore to 3.1.2 by iTunes - so I updated to 3.1.3.

After the update I lost everything. I was so pissed and depressed that everyday since I was searching for ANY news on the new jailbreak. Found nothing until two nites ago when I found this;
    http://mobilesat.blogspot.com/2010/03/iphone-3gs-jailbreak-313-firmwarenew.html

I followed the guys instructions; DLOADED everything he said and DID everything he said. Including the hack to the Windows/System32/drivers/hosts file as he did.

Everything went fine until I did the steps with Redsn0w. On his video, the computer gives you a warning as to whether or not you have the new bootrom or not... My phone just launched Redsnow and did the jailbreak. Once the message came on that it was done and the process would finish on the phone, NOTHING HAPPENED. It just got stuck in a black screen.

So, I put it back into restore mode and searched how to reboot the phone from recovery and found this posting; http://www.ihackintosh.com/2009/07/irecovery-iphone-recovery-mode-loop-restart/

I dloaded iRecovery and installed, made sure I extracted the contents of the zip file to by desktop and ran it. After following the steps and holding the power and home buttons for 10 secs, the phone rebooted and as I already had iTunes open, it activated the phone.

I then ran Blackrain RC3 and by phone was re-jailbroken and thru blackra1n on springboard I installed Cydia.

I say that I did not have the SHSH file backed up on Cydia as when I had checked Cydia thru Safari AFTER the 3.1.3 update, I did not see the message 'This device has SHSHs on file for OS 3.1, 3.1.2" at the top of the screen. For all I know, since I was accessed Cydia on a non-jailbroken phone running OS 3.1.3 I could not see this. BUT to my knowledge I had never backed these up, they could've been there though.

So, this is what I did. I took the gamble of trying this guys posting knowing that it might not work and worst case scenario I would have had to do another restore and update to 3.1.3 to get my phone working again. When things didn't go as detailed on the Redsnow JB step, I improvised and tried something else to make it work. iRecovery was my missing step. It worked !!!! It IS JAILBROKEN now and I am happy again...

Oh, one more thing. I downloaded F0recast a few days ago and checked to see if my phone would be able to be jailbroke when it was on 3.1.3, and was told that it would not be able to. According to f0recast I was given this info as to the specifics on my phone;

Serial# *****SVQ33NR (hid the first part)
    Firmware 3.1.3
    Baseband 05.12.01
    Bootloader 6.4
    Model MC137
    Unlockable NO
    Tethered NO

I made this post more for the people out there that already had a jailbroken iPhone and had been duped into updating to 3.1.3 by Apple. YES my phone was previously JBd before I updated, and maybe this was what saved me. For those of you out there that did the same update to 3.1.3 like I did, and LOST your JB, try these steps above. Maybe your phone will do the exact thing as the guy on the video... if not, put in in restore mode and try iRecovery like I did.

21. dpivarnick thread starter macrumors newbie

Cuz I was happy

After I did this I had to post it somewhere

22. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It's very simple: if everything you say here is true, then you have your 3.1.2 SHSH on file on Saurik's server even if you didn't know you did. I do not believe I am a "bonehead" merely for pointing out all three of the possible explanations for your results. It is impossible that all three explanations I offered are untrue.

And, for future reference, name calling will get you banned from this board.

23. dpivarnick thread starter macrumors newbie

aww

In my best Scooby Doo voice;

'I'm rorry Raggy!':confused:

Still, a successful RE-jailbreak solution of a lost jailbreak by uograde to OS 3.1.3 on an iPhone 3GS WITH the new 05.12.01 bootrom AND an MC model number is something that a LOT of people are looking for, right? With this post at least some persons that have lost their JB due to erroneous update to 3.1.3 know that they have options besides having to wait on the DEVteam and Geohot.

24. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

First, 05.12.01 is the baseband, not the bootrom. Second, MC model number has absolutely no relevance to a 3GS jailbreak -- it is only relevant to the iPT2. Third, what you have done is not new or unique; it is well known that it is possible to downgrade a phone with its 3.1.2 SHSH on file to 3.1.2 -- that's the whole point of having your SHSH on file! Moreover, it's been said in dozens of threads in this very forum.

You wrote this thread claiming that you had downgraded a 3GS without your SHSH on file. That would have been news and would have justified your exuberant thread title, but the fact that you managed to follow instructions we've all known about for months is most assuredly not. All this thread does is give people who do not have their SHSH on file false hope that they can jailbreak again.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Figures:rolleyes:
    Wow, you downgraded your 3GS that had SHSH's saved thru cydia.
    People have been doing this for 2 months now. You want a metal?