Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Were you able to reproduce this? (Please remember to try a second time.)

• Yes, it worked on the first or second try.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No, even after two tries, I could not reproduce it.

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Wrote a letter to Apple and link your video. That would be my recommendation. Despite your explanation I fail to see how this is actually an issue in real life. Of course all exploits should be patched but in terms of real time security I don't see this as a problem.

Aduntu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Your imagination is really the only limit to how this can be abused.

Anyone unconscious, asleep, or incapacitated is susceptible to the results of someone else wearing your watch.

The realistic chances are slim, but it shouldn't be possible; that's the point.

Reactions: OCDMacGeek

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
If I have lighter-than-normal skin contact, I can replicate this 100% of the time. My watch will never lock if I wear it semi-loosely. I can take it off my wrist and put it back on as many times as I want. As long as I don't tilt the watch so that the screen goes dark, it won't lock.

Now if I start with a tight grip around my wrist, (how I normally wear it) and then remove it, it will auto-lock 100% of the time, no matter what I try.

My guess is that this will occur when there's light skin contact. Perhaps the watch cannot detect between light contact and no contact, and thus does not lock when removed. Try wearing your watch tightly and retrying your steps, and seeing if that makes a difference?

OCDMacGeek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 19, 2007
I guess the basic point is that if you had a lock that worked, except when you happen to lock it twice in a row or do certain other things, that lock has flaws.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.