Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are the leaks true? (Public voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
I think the current mockups of the 'iPhone 7' are completely fake and won't reflect the final device appearance or features.

For me, it's quite obvious that:

1. Someone in China has been reading rumors from US sites
2. Then released carefully conservative* 3D renders, with familiar sizes and body style, with those rumors implemented
3. Made mock-ups of those renders to see aceptation
4. Is now selling plastic mockups for $150 in Hong Kong that don't even match the Apple colors, possibly making pre-release iPhone 7 clones (there are Chinese and other people that buy that, don't ask) running Android, and even with iPhone electronics inside.

* conservative because people think too inside the box, remember when the iPhone 4 prototype was stolen, the actual thing, and people said it was fake because it was too unlike what Apple was been making? For them the iPhone was what they have seen until the day, and couldn't be any other way.

Someone in 1300 million people ought to come up with that.

Nobody from reputable previous leakers have come up with an image:

Sonny Dickson, EvLeaks (not be confused with OnLeaks), Mark Gurman, etc. it's all coming from Chinese social networks and forums, where it's normal to thank posters with AliPay (real money). All those names came up with leaked Apple products that turned out to be true.

On the history of the "Apple is killing the 3.5mm jack controversy":

It all began in a random Forbes "contributor" (aka clickbait maker) back in 2014 and before the iPhone 6 introduction. This is coming from a very imaginative author, with no facts to back his... shall we call it... essay. This theory got fire because Apple filled for the "AirPods" trademark. This is all speculation, but the writers write what they want, and the readers read what they want. I personally don't think they are going to make that risky move on their biggest selling product.

This situation happened with the iPhone SE:

Take a look at this:

iphone5seschematic_mza0kr.jpg

This is what was presented as final, and official iPhone "5SE" design... the only thing that's right is the screen and the home button, it's closer to the iPhone 5, not the 6, the final, as we all know, doesn't have a protruding camera, and no visible antenna lines in the back, and the edges are chamfered, not rounded. But that sold clicks!

apple-iphone-6c-leaked-photo.jpg

Mockups were made, and sold. See for yourself. There's a market for it. Even for smaller and cheaper models like the SE.

The accepted antenna lines design came from a ridiculous fake Leak:

Just read this story. The first time that the "back" of the iPhone 7 was "unveiled", it was fake leak, as you can see, it was a Meizu phone, but it stuck. And well... the show must go on.... everyone accepts those lines as definitive

iphone-7-meizu-pro-6-leak.jpg

There are parts leaks that are being ignored just to go with the lucrative dramatic bandwagon:

Like this assembly that shows the audio jack:

cpsbfFC.jpg

Are these less probable because they are less eye catchy and interesting?

Okay, but the iPhone 6 leaked, and leaked good:

Apple wanted you to know they were finally coming with a big screen iPhone, so you wouldn't buy that Samsung flagship coming in Q2 2014.

This is not an attack to any news outlet, not an attack to MacRumors

They are doing their job. They are spreading the information, they are also looking out for their financials and reputation, at least when they are wrong, they will be all wrong, and the general public will have to accept.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
In a perfect world, the stuff being listed for the "iPhone 8"....would actually be for this year's iPhone 7. If Apple pulled something like that off, they would have successfully trolled the entire world. And I'd give them the biggest kudos ever.

But that's in a perfect world....in reality, the leaks that we've seen of the upcoming iPhone will most likely be what's presented next month

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
I would be ready to bet money that the leaks are 80% of the real deal. Why? Because cmon, it's August, Apple started mass producing the phones. If future leaks isn't any different from current leaks, it's pretty sure it's the real thing.

I would be ready to bet in the contrary. The odds will work in favour of my side ;)

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I would be ready to bet in the contrary. The odds will work in favour of my side ;)
Let's bet on it. I am a pretty good horse racing historian/handicapper and gambler. ;)

Just 100% denial by some here because you hate the design like another camera hump and removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack. You want NEW DESIGN, NEW DESIGN, BETTER DESIGN, BETTER DESIGN to feed that hedonistic nature of yours so you scream out FAKE!

iPhone are made in China. Gizmodo leaked the iPhone 4. Some people hated the design and screamed FAKE because they didn't want it to be true. They wanted better design. The iPhone 5 (elongated 4) was leaked months in advance. Touch ID for 5s was leaked months in advance. The iPhone 6 was leaked months in advance. A rose gold 6s was leaked months in advance. They are built by the Chinese! You really think they can't leak it to us now?

It is about 80-90% certainty what we are seeing is the real deal. The SE is only one example and I did read some sites saying it will look like a 5s and it did. The only thing Apple might be keeping a secret from us is a different color option like space black or space blue. That is something we are not sure about and I bet some of you is wishing will be true...

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think the leaks are disappointing but we have gone through this every year since at least the iPhone 4. People say it's not like Apple, it can't be real, it looks so fake, I did some math, etc. in all likelihood we've basically seen the next iPhone. Does this make me happy? Not really. If this were eight years ago I might be singing a different tune.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I think the leaks are disappointing but we have gone through this every year since at least the iPhone 4. People say it's not like Apple, it can't be real, it looks so fake, I did some math, etc. in all likelihood we've basically seen the next iPhone. Does this make me happy? Not really. If this were eight years ago I might be singing a different tune.
Why are you not happy? all us known is the form factor. Specs of any kind, memory, enhanced hardware from the 6s, new functionality, etc is not known.

Zirel

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 24, 2015
Let's bet on it. I am a pretty good horse racing historian/handicapper and gambler. ;)

Is there any site out there that allows this?

I'm in Europe.

The iPhone 5 (elongated 4) was leaked months in advance

Humm, the only thing in common of the 5 with 4 was that they were still called iPhones and the front design that shouldn't change ever, everything was different as it could be. The 5 was aluminium, monocoque chassis, chamfered edges, aluminium back (mostly).
[doublepost=1470625182][/doublepost]
Just 100% denial by some here because you hate the design like another camera hump and removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Not. I use an Apple leather case with my 6, I used with my 5s, and I will keep using at as long as I buy iPhones.

For the jack, I never use it, I normally use the headphones at home with my Mac or iPad.

Reactions: gwang73

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Why are you not happy? all us known is the form factor. Specs of any kind, memory, enhanced hardware from the 6s, new functionality, etc is not known.
At this point in prior years we saw all the new goodies, be that from looking into OS, or through hardware. About the most exciting rumor was a flush home button, which I would welcome, but not upgrade over. A nicer screen might excite me but that's also unlikely based on what we know about what parts and being produced and supplied currently.

The next phone could literally be 10x the 6s plus is speed and raw power and it wouldn't effect my usage at all. Aside from spreadsheets, emails, and a ton of safari and/or chrome tabs, I don't out my phone through much. I Pokemon go a bit too, to be fair lol.

I'm also not keen on losing the 3.5mm. I could be happy if I gained something of value (to me), but I haven't seen that yet. I guess, at this point in the game, years prior, I've basically always been excited.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Every year leaks pick up with fury by this time and every year they come out on stage, at least since the switch to September, and the leaks prove to be true. This year will be no different.

Reactions: kerrikins

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I just love the double standards.

When iPhone SE came out, people loved it even though it looks exactly the same as iPhone 5s but has a girly rose gold option this time. The iPhone 7 hasn't been released yet, people are now bashing it because it looks too much like iPhone 6 and focuses on the removal of headphone jack while ignoring things like water-resistance, wireless charging, dual stereo speakers, capacitive home button, etc. If not bashing, deny the leaks are real when Tim Cook stated 2016 won't be a highlight year for Apple and we will not see any dramatic "external" changes for iPhone.

Rumored three-year cycle, remember? Something we saw with the SE after the 5 and 5s! Reassurance threads. Don't buy it if you hate it. Be in denial if you want to. I can bet you OP that these leaks are real just like putting house money on Hillary will win the election because nobody wants Benito Mussolini and Joffrey Baratheon as our POTUS. Like trying to bet against Secretariat in the 1973 Belmont Stakes. Or betting against Citation in the 1948 Pimlico Special and Spectacular Bid in the 1980 Woodward. Both were walkovers and had nobody to compete with.

California Chrome winning the 2016 Breeders' Cup Classic at Santa Anita is not a sure thing with too much speed like Dortmund, Nyquist, and Beholder in it. Beware of Exaggerator. ;) Horse racing expert for two decades from Cigar, Skip Away, Ghostzapper, Curlin, Zenyatta, American Pharoah, and now California Chrome. I see a lot of angles. This iPhone 7 leak is as guaranteed as Hillary being our POTUS and Man o' War beating Hoodwink by 100 lengths. Go ahead and bet against a likely sure winner but proceed with caution, suckers. ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Every year leaks pick up with fury by this time and every year they come out on stage, at least since the switch to September, and the leaks prove to be true. This year will be no different.
Like that year when the whole "teardrop" design was all the rage (a design that still hasn't appeared to this day).

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Leaks don't just happen exclusively to iPhones. It can happen to all companies. I remember the HTC One M8 in 2014 being leaked by users on YouTube weeks before they announced it.

You can deny it if you want to. That's your prerogative. If I happen to be wrong, cool. I don't mind being wrong either and being pleasantly surprised. I played horse races since I was 15 and it is much more difficult being right than say if I was playing blackjack or roulette. Favorites only win 30% of the time.

I think the big design update will happen with iPhone 8. The SE is the one exception when so many times iPhones were leaked and it was generally the same look once announced. Even if you got a better design for the iPhone 7, it is only the back of the phone. Do people really pay attention to the back? Most cover it up with a case. Who gives a rat's ***?

Okay, so we lose removable headphone jack? Does the negatives need to be magnified 100x more for us to completely ignore water-resistance, wireless charging, dual speakers, and the removal of a fix me physical home button? Don't be so myopic with the negatives.

No need to be a Debbie Downer, dude. It's only a phone, man. A better smartphone comes out every few months and a better iPhone comes out every single year and recycling the same design you yearn for by adding "s."

images

pierre-bernard-jr-4.jpg

mytawalbeh

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2016
You might be right when it comes to leaked photos and sketches, I agree on that.
But I think all of these mock-ups are based on what this guy "Ming-Ku" says.
He has the best tracking records and strong connection with Apple's supply chain. This guy is almost 100% correct.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Almost one month away and we will know. Let's find out how secretive Apple really is.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Okay, so we lose removable headphone jack? Does the negatives need to be magnified 100x more for us to completely ignore water-resistance, wireless charging, dual speakers, and the removal of a fix me physical home button? Don't be so myopic with the negatives.

The problem (for me) is that I honestly don't care about any of those "positives".

I've never gotten my phone wet or needed to use it in a situation where it's likely to happen accidentally (not mention that other phones offer water resistance without eliminating ports). I honestly don't see what's great about wireless charging, especially since you then have to buy a charging pad. I almost never use my phone's speakers rather than headphones. And new home button... I don't even know what that's supposed to do. Aside from the obligatory better internals, there are no rumoured features that appeal to me at all, and at least one that I see as a negative. Bottom line: I hope Apple does have surprises in store, because if this is it, this year's phone offers nothing I want. :(

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Personally I take these Chinese whispers and rumours with a pinch of salt.

September keynote will clarify / confirm.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The problem (for me) is that I honestly don't care about any of those "positives".

I've never gotten my phone wet or needed to use it in a situation where it's likely to happen accidentally (not mention that other phones offer water resistance without eliminating ports). I honestly don't see what's great about wireless charging, especially since you then have to buy a charging pad. I almost never use my phone's speakers rather than headphones. And new home button... I don't even know what that's supposed to do. Aside from the obligatory better internals, there are no rumoured features that appeal to me at all, and at least one that I see as a negative. Bottom line: I hope Apple does have surprises in store, because if this is it, this year's phone offers nothing I want. :(
I'm pretty careful but stuff happens. I spilled (read knocked over on) an entire 10oz cup of hot coffee on my 6s. Whether it was the water resistant addition or Devine intervention there was no damage.

Btw, an aside comment not directed at you...good job on the use of hyperbole and generalizations to make a point. Was pretty subtle...:cool:

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
New iPhone designs have been the worst kept secret since...

apple-gizmodo-iphone-4g.jpg

iphone-back-9to5mac.jpeg

iphone_6_rear_panel_leak_2_634x306x24_expand_h5a424d9a-600x289.jpg

They were leaked months ahead of the announcement no later than May. It is August now. The only time Apple ever surprised me was when they announced the first iPhone. It was the only time Apple surpassed the renders leading up to it.

The iPhone SE was something that came unexpected because not everyone expected Apple to release an iPhone in March. But I heard about a small iPhone for over a year now. SE was two things for Apple. To cater to the compact phone market. And to guinea pig test using the same design a third time.

5 - slate & silver
5s - replace slate with space gray, add gold
SE - add rose gold

The latter two got a different home button with Touch ID.

I don't get why nobody bats an eye if a MacBook, iPad, and iPod touch look the same for a few years while an iPhone is expected to look different every two years? A double standard for iPhones. Same double standard when SE gets praised when it is a 2012 design but 7 gets criticized because of some stupid rear back that looks like the 6 that usually is covered up with a case.

Then nobody wants to notice the iPhone 7 for water-resistance, wireless charging, dual speakers, and removal of the stupid physical home button that wears out because iOS lacks a back action since some people are too busy whining about the removal of that 3.5mm headphone jack. These insecure, reassurance threads makes me laugh. So shallow and petty. I don't even like Apple but I gotta laugh at their haters and cynics.

The best kept secret goes to the Nintendo NX right now. Nintendo really has kept it under wraps what it looks like. Best is to lower expectations and don't overthink it so we can be surprised. But what we see from these leaks is usually what get. Apple iPhones have generally lacked secrecy since January 2007 which was the only time Apple surpassed our design expectations.

2006 mockups of the original iPhone
joh3qhnre8wgpckevml6.png

qitfye3ws72luzfchc2q.jpg

uv1hkahadeyhfuuxx9ph.png

uepm2v8uoe124ngprh7r.jpg

wbopsxpkiqs9qoefif3s.png

cp2jrhrc4o25irueago4.png

iphone2007.jpg

iphone_person.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.