I don't care about the iPhone 5. Why care about a contract phone?

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I get the feeling the OP is feeling the pinch financially and is a little bitter about it.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Since when iPod touch's are supposed to handle messages and phone calls without an internet connection?

Not everyone needs a data plan.
Didn't think that one through. But seriously why would you want a lte capable phone with no data plan? Or an iPhone for that matter unless you want a horrible crippled phone. When you don't have wi-fi...

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Didn't think that one through. But seriously why would you want a lte capable phone with no data plan? Or an iPhone for that matter unless you want a horrible crippled phone. When you don't have wi-fi...
Its not crippled. Just can't check Facebook, twitter, browse web etc. All that can be done when on wifi. It will be like using an iPod touch, but better, as you can call and text.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Everyone's situation is different
This seems to work for you, so that is all that matters

For others, they have different needs
Choice is a good thing, and we should be grateful we have options
Agreed. Use what is best for your needs and understand that others will to.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I don't care about battery life. I always use my phone when it's plugged in, why care about battery life on a mobile device when you can just leave it plugged in all the time?

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
How do you figure? If he was with that company for 2 years, not under contract, he would have paid the same amount monthly.
There you go. You answered your own question. If it doesn't matter in your monthly bills whether you get a subsidized phone or you bring your own, what does that tell you?

Just because the major carriers are expensive does not mean that you paid for the phone. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Yes, I could go to straight talk but would not have LTE
It's not a matter of ST/prepaid versus contracts, it's a matter of not being able to get the same deal for less money if you don't need them to supply you with a phone. Which appears to be the case with the major carriers in the US. What's ridiculous is being under the impression that those companies are handing out $700 devices for free. They don't - you pay for the phone in full.

----------

I get the feeling the OP is feeling the pinch financially and is a little bitter about it.
The OP simply has got a point. You don't buy a car every two years, you don't buy a sound system every two years, you don't buy a new laptop/PC every two years, you don't buy a TV set every two years, you don't buy a new fridge every two years, hell you don't even buy a new house phone every two years. But somehow, two years is a very long time when it comes to cellphones.

Cause: contracts that include subsidized phones

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
There you go. You answered your own question. If it doesn't matter in your monthly bills whether you get a subsidized phone or you bring your own, what does that tell you?

It's not a matter of ST/prepaid versus contracts, it's a matter of not being able to get the same deal for less money if you don't need them to supply you with a phone. Which appears to be the case with the major carriers in the US. What's ridiculous is being under the impression that those companies are handing out $700 devices for free. They don't - you pay for the phone in full.

----------

The OP simply has got a point. You don't buy a car every two years, you don't buy a sound system every two years, you don't buy a new laptop/PC every two years, you don't buy a TV set every two years, you don't buy a new fridge every two years, hell you don't even buy a new house phone every two years. But somehow, two years is a very long time when it comes to cellphones.

Cause: contracts that include subsidized phones
Please explain to me how though? If I pay $700 for an unlocked phone and stay with them for 2 years I have wasted money. If I pay $199 and stay with them for 2 years, I have saved that difference in price. No matter what phone I have if I want the same data and minutes, I would pay the same with the major carriers. You get unlimited mobile to mobile, so minutes are really irrelevant. Prepaid still have to pay for Data if you have a smart phone...that is not part of the "unlimited data" they list in the prepaid prices.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
And even if you don't get the phone you still pay the carrier for it if you stick with them, so yeah they basically are handing them out for free, they just require you to stick with them for 2 years if you take them up on the offer. You pay the same amount either way.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
And even if you don't get the phone you still pay the carrier for it if you stick with them, so yeah they basically are handing them out for free, they just require you to stick with them for 2 years if you take them up on the offer. You pay the same amount either way.
thank you. That is what I was trying to get across. They are giving you the phone for much cheaper since it doesn't affect your monthly bill once so ever. I have a 4S and when I get the 5 I will pay the same monthly phone bill, but won't pay $650 for an unlocked phone...I will upgrade. Maybe he thinks they build the difference in phone price into the bill.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Right but here is what I pay:

$375 phone
$100 every 6 months for minutes

5 year cost = 375 + 10*100 = $1375

I've heard of people with contracts paying that much in 1 year.

Prior to the iPhone I had a $30 Nokia, which had better battery life. Back then my cost was even lower of course, but because I pay prepaid at 0.10 per minute it was no hardship to get the iPhone and therefore all the apps.
You claim we are wasting money when you paid $375 for a handheld computer that you use only as a flip phone? Prices for data may be high, but at least people want to use it, and pay for it.

----------

Tells me you don't understand the USA consumer position. Why are you railing on it, then?

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Please explain to me how though? If I pay $700 for an unlocked phone and stay with them for 2 years I have wasted money. If I pay $199 and stay with them for 2 years, I have saved that difference in price. No matter what phone I have if I want the same data and minutes, I would pay the same with the major carriers. You get unlimited mobile to mobile, so minutes are really irrelevant. Prepaid still have to pay for Data if you have a smart phone...that is not part of the "unlimited data" they list in the prepaid prices.
Both you and kramer must be residing in the US, or you would get this (no offense though guys). Okay, over here, with any carrier that sells phones, you have two choices. You either get a subsidized phone and a one or two year plan. Or, if you already own a phone, you get the same plan with the same bells and whistles for half the price or whatever per month. Because you don't have to pay for the phone. They'll just send you a SIM card and you can terminate the contract at any time with most companies.

If your carrier charges the same for the same plan with or without subsidized phone, then you take the phone of course. Because you're friggin paying for it.

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
lol sounds like you are trying to justify your 3gs.

how cute. But no, we get the iphone 5, because we want the iphone 5. Do I need to break it down some more?

Its called buying what you want. Its not a new concept.

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Tells me you don't understand the USA consumer position. Why are you railing on it, then?
You may be right, I'm going on what I read on this forum.

Anyway, so with AT&T for example one can get a plan with all the features the subsidized plans have, but without a subsidized phone, with proportionally cheaper bills? So that one doesn't pay for a device that one doesn't want? If that's true then indeed I have misunderstood a couple of things.

And I'm not railing. I'm countering the free iphones misconception.

Aug 5, 2012
I can afford to buy what ever phone i want

Leave your financial issues out of the forum OP

jj47

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2012
My phone is the original iPhone and I've been using it for 4/5 years.

When I see people paying more money each year just to have the newest model it does seem pretty ludicrous to me. However, if you have a contract that warrants you a free upgrade then, of course, that's a no brainer.

Just my thoughts.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
My phone is the original iPhone and I've been using it for 4/5 years.

When I see people paying more money each year just to have the newest model it does seem pretty ludicrous to me. However, if you have a contract that warrants you a free upgrade then, of course, that's a no brainer.

Just my thoughts.
I get your point... but I have had each model of the iPhone starting with the original iPhone... But I only paid for the first one really...

I got AT&T to give me a an upgrade for the iPhone 3G, I then sold my original iPhone (for a lot... can't remember, but made profit upgrading to the 3G). I ended up dropping that phone... Apple jerked me around and to make a long story short, they sold me a new one at the upgrade price... I sold the cracked iPhone 3G for $450... paid for my new 3G and the 3GS when I got it using my GF's upgrade (giving her the 3G)....

When I got the iPhone 4, I sold my 3G and gave her the 3GS... and the same with the 4S, sold the 3GS and gave her the 4... now I give her the 4S, and sell the iPhone 4 (before the launch of the new phone so I will get around $300 or so becuz it will be Factory unlocked).

So I haven't had to pay for my upgrades.

So I haven't paid for a new phone since the original.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Both you and kramer must be residing in the US, or you would get this (no offense though guys). Okay, over here, with any carrier that sells phones, you have two choices. You either get a subsidized phone and a one or two year plan. Or, if you already own a phone, you get the same plan with the same bells and whistles for half the price or whatever per month. Because you don't have to pay for the phone. They'll just send you a SIM card and you can terminate the contract at any time with most companies.

If your carrier charges the same for the same plan with or without subsidized phone, then you take the phone of course. Because you're friggin paying for it.
That is definitely the difference. We pay the same whether you get the subsidized phone or the full priced phone. And if you are going to stay with your carrier it only makes sense to sign the two year contract.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
Its not crippled. Just can't check Facebook, twitter, browse web etc. All that can be done when on wifi. It will be like using an iPod touch, but better, as you can call and text.
Yes that's the whole point of an iPhone. So to me that's crippling it.

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL

Anyway, so with AT&T for example one can get a plan with all the features the subsidized plans have, but without a subsidized phone, with proportionally cheaper bills? So that one doesn't pay for a device that one doesn't want? If that's true then indeed I have misunderstood a couple of things.

Here's how it works in the US (example only).

Subsidized phone plan:

Phone price: $199
Monthly service: $100

Unsubsidized phone plan:

Phone price: $649
Monthly service: $100

There is ZERO price break among US carriers for paying full price for you phone. The only benefit to buying your phone outright is the ability to leave without penalty at the time of your choosing. So if you have been with carrier A for many years and plan to stay with carrier A in the future, you're simply flushing money down the drain by NOT grabbing the unsubsidized phone. From reading your other posts, the system is much, much different where you are.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Yeah what's up with the hype for a unannounced Apple product on an Apple rumors website?

I can only afford a 3 year old phone without a data plan so nobody should spend more than I do to get something better otherwise I'll be jealous.

You guys are all doing it wrong, you should all do it my way.

:rolleyes:

Seriously though, the 3GS is not the only iPhone you can buy unlocked at full price. All iPhones are available contract-less, and the next one will too.

If you don't have $650 to spend on an unlocked iPhone then that's your problem, don't come here to break everyone's bubble out of pure jealousy.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Yes that's the whole point of an iPhone. So to me that's crippling it.
You can use gps, calendar, memo, apps, games, etc you just can't update data without wifi. Not everyone need constant instant updates, they can wait an hour or two.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

Fine, but it is not a misconception here.

There are only 4 countrywide providers (ATT, VZW, Tmobile, Sprint), and they are not really compatible with each other, so you can't simply take your phone and move to another carrier next year. The plans are mostly all the same on most providers, although ATT and VZW are more expensive. I'll list exceptions and issues rather than similarities:

• Tmobile offers a plan similar to EU plans. You can get a reduced monthly cost when you buy all phones unsubsidized. However, the data price is not reduced, just the minutes price.
  • Some regional carriers may offer all sorts of different deals, it would be impossible to know all these, let alone list them. (keep in mind the USA is nearly the same physical size as all of Europe) But regional carriers mean you can't leave town without roaming, and they are not as good for signal strength, generally. They have to buy bandwidth from the big 4 and charge you for it. They are not nearly as popular because of such limitations, and slower speeds.
  • Prepaid plans exist where you can bring your own phone and probably pay less since you pay for a certain number of minutes/texts/GBs and use them until they are gone. This is what Varp is using since he/she doesn't need many minutes. But these are burdened by reliance on the big 4 carriers, since none of them have their own towers anywhere. (or very few) So everything is slower. Also, phone compatibility is a pain, not all phones are allowed on prepaid plans. Or, there is the standard compatibility issue I mention next:
  • About compatibility....ATT and Tmobile have some compatibility, but mainly in 2G. Tmobile is trying to alter this. The new LTE (claimed to be 4G) promises better compatibility, but that is really still future, not present, despite what commercials and mouthy people here at MacRumors say.
  • I mentioned the slower speeds. For those plans piggy-backed onto the hardware (towers) of ATT (as an example), those customers get last place in line for bandwidth. You are more likely to lose calls, have slower data, etc. since you are not paying ATT directly.

Basically, these companies are competing on different issues than companies in each, much smaller, country in Europe.

Also, phones tend to die. The iPhone probably doesn't as fast as many of the crap basic phones, but many people get new phones before their contract is up, due to them being junk. I'm not talking about damaged phones, but ones that fail.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
You can use gps, calendar, memo, apps, games, etc you just can't update data without wifi. Not everyone need constant instant updates, they can wait an hour or two.
Gps uses data doesn't it?

Youre basically turning your smartphone into a dumb phone. What a waste.