I don't care about the iPhone 5. Why care about a contract phone?

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Right but here is what I pay:

$375 phone
$100 every 6 months for minutes

5 year cost = 375 + 10*100 = $1375

I've heard of people with contracts paying that much in 1 year.

Prior to the iPhone I had a $30 Nokia, which had better battery life. Back then my cost was even lower of course, but because I pay prepaid at 0.10 per minute it was no hardship to get the iPhone and therefore all the apps.
So what? You have to spend your money on something--and some choose to spend it on contract phones. That's why choice is such a great thing. :)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Gps uses data doesn't it?

Youre basically turning your smartphone into a dumb phone. What a waste.
What dumb phone does gps, apps, games, advance calendar, memo, hd video recording, plays movies in great quality, detailed contacts list, play music. Do you consider the iPod touch to be like a dumb phone?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Gps uses data doesn't it?

Youre basically turning your smartphone into a dumb phone. What a waste.
Yes and no. It's an A-GPS, meaning it is assisted by data to improve performance. It will still work without data though, just slower.

The default Map app (Google Maps) however requires data connectivity as maps are only streamed. If you want your maps to be stored locally and accessible while offline, you need to buy a GPS app which stores maps.

So technically, you could get away with an app like TomTom ($60) and deal with worse performance (it takes a while to find GPS signal and isn't as precise), but then you also wouldn't have access to stuff like business search, public transit directions, compass/gyroscope support and such. It's also generally a pain to just lookup something quickly like you would do in Google Maps. Every time you have to input the whole address one step at a time (State, City, Street, Number).

At that point it may be smarter to simply buy a cheap 100$ dedicated GPS than buy a navigation app. But then again I doubt OP considered spending money at all, he probably only uses a terrible free ad-supported app.

----------

What dumb phone does gps, apps, games, advance calendar, memo, hd video recording, plays movies in great quality, detailed contacts list, play music. Do you consider the iPod touch to be like a dumb phone?
Clearly OP has different usages than most people. He wants to use his iPhone as an iPod touch + dumbphone replacement rather than as an actual smartphone. That's ok, but he doesn't have to force his usage to other people just so he can feel good about not anticipating the next iPhone.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Yes and no. It's an A-GPS, meaning it is assisted by data to improve performance. It will still work without data though, just slower.

The default Map app (Google Maps) however requires data connectivity as maps are only streamed. If you want your maps to be stored locally and accessible while offline, you need to buy a GPS app which stores maps.

So technically, you could get away with an app like TomTom ($60) and deal with worse performance (it takes a while to find GPS signal and isn't as precise), but then you also wouldn't have access to stuff like business search, public transit directions, compass/gyroscope support and such. It's also generally a pain to just lookup something quickly like you would do in Google Maps. Every time you have to input the whole address one step at a time (State, City, Street, Number).

At that point it may be smarter to simply buy a cheap 100$ dedicated GPS than buy a navigation app. But then again I doubt OP considered spending money at all, he probably only uses a terrible free ad-supported app.

----------

Clearly OP has different usages than most people. He wants to use his iPhone as an iPod touch + dumbphone replacement rather than as an actual smartphone. That's ok, but he doesn't have to force his usage to other people just so he can feel good about not anticipating the next iPhone.
Actually when i had an iphone 3GS i used navigon a lot. Despite not having a data connection locking to a gps satellite was quick and easy. I use data on my current phone, but there was a time I didn't with the 3GS and 4. I enjoyed the phone just as much, except for not getting updates from apps etc. I didn't need to update Facebook or twitter or email, so it met my needs at the time.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
still not using the phone as it was meant....

Jayste4

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
I skype a lot.
I use T-Mobile, so I don't get data. I just use Wifi when I really need data on the phone, which is rare.
If you do not have data, how do you skype a lot, considering you rarely need wifi? My wife buys the 1000 minute cards every six months or so too, but we have never tried using data on her phone.

Like you, I can't stand the thought of being locked into a 2 year contract.

It seems if you want the latest and greatest, buy the iPhone unlocked from Apple and then buy the $30 plan at T-Mobile (100 minutes and all you can eat data and texts). Or pay a little more if you want more minutes. The very latest iPhone may not be available on opening day but it always shows up for sale unlocked from Apple eventually.

Math Time...

Say if I wanted a new phone every year... what would it cost me?
New iPhone = $649.99 + 8.6% Tax = $705.88
Service $30 x 12 = $360
Sell my iPhone after a year... Assume it's in great shape and I get $400
Another new iPhone = $649.99 + 8.6% Tax = 705.88 - $400 = 305.88
Service $30 x 12 = $360
Total 2 year cost: $1731.76

If I went AT&T...
New phone = $199.99 + 8.6% Tax = $217.19
Service (minimal plan with my corporate discount) = ~$75 x 24 = $1800
Total 2 year cost = $2017.19 plus I only get a new phone every 2 years.

James

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
I have the same mindset as the OP. Minimalistic.

I HATE contracts. The less mendatory payments you have to have each month the more at peace you are.

Too bad the US is so far behind Europe, everyone in the US is just entangled in contracts.

Here, you can get a pay as you go simcard, put €20, and for 30 days you get unlimited Internet, free texts to any network, free calls to others on the same carrier and free weekend calls everywhere, that €20 stays on your balance. After those 30 days, you can buy an Internet add-on pack for €5 that gives you 500MB of data and talk with your friends through Viber, Skype, etc...

I know people who get contracts then constantly complain how they cannot afford it, etc... I buy phones outright, unlocked, if I cannot buy the phone that means I cannot afford it, simple as that, no contracts, no leasing, no monthly payment nonsense.

I'm on 3GS and frankly, I don't see a point in upgrading to either 4 or 4S, they offer absolutely nothing new to me over the 3GS, I buy a phone purely based on requirements rather than just for the sake of upgrading.

Most likely won't upgrade to the next iPhone either, unless it has a great camera that at least beats the Nokia N8. Camera is the only thing that can probably get me to upgrade.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have the same mindset as the OP. Minimalistic.

I HATE contracts. The less mendatory payments you have to have each month the more at peace you are.

Too bad the US is so far behind Europe, everyone in the US is just entangled in contracts.

Here, you can get a pay as you go simcard, put €20, and for 30 days you get unlimited Internet, free texts to any network, free calls to others on the same carrier and free weekend calls everywhere, that €20 stays on your balance. After those 30 days, you can buy an Internet add-on pack for €5 that gives you 500MB of data and talk with your friends through Viber, Skype, etc...

I know people who get contracts then constantly complain how they cannot afford it, etc... I buy phones outright, unlocked, if I cannot buy the phone that means I cannot afford it, simple as that, no contracts, no leasing, no monthly payment nonsense.

I'm on 3GS and frankly, I don't see a point in upgrading to either 4 or 4S, they offer absolutely nothing new to me over the 3GS, I buy a phone purely based on requirements rather than just for the sake of upgrading.

Most likely won't upgrade to the next iPhone either, unless it has a great camera that at least beats the Nokia N8. Camera is the only thing that can probably get me to upgrade.
If we just wanted 3G speeds and that was all that was available it would make sense for everyone here (US) to use a cheap, contract free carrier like straight talk. The issue is we all want 4G LTE and the only providers are the big 4, which makes contracts make sense since it saves you money on the phone.

jackal123uk

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
England
I don't understand the title of this thread...

Why is the "iPhone 5" necessarily a contract phone?

I'm no fan of contracts; I bought my 4s sim-free direct from apple on release day. Sure it was a bigger initial outlay but I'll be saving money over what I'd otherwise be paying over the length of a contract.

When I'm in the mood for another phone, I'll do the same again. Some people simply can't afford to buy a phone outright so take out a contract which essentially spreads the cost. I wouldn't criticise anyone for it - I think most of us have been there at some time...

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I don't understand the title of this thread...

Why is the "iPhone 5" necessarily a contract phone?

I'm no fan of contracts; I bought my 4s sim-free direct from apple on release day. Sure it was a bigger initial outlay but I'll be saving money over what I'd otherwise be paying over the length of a contract.

When I'm in the mood for another phone, I'll do the same again. Some people simply can't afford to buy a phone outright so take out a contract which essentially spreads the cost. I wouldn't criticise anyone for it - I think most of us have been there at some time...
I'm guessing you are not in the US?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
All this hype about the iPhone 5 is excessive and unnecessary. It's a contract phone after all.

To you maybe. Not to many others. Why the post in the first place ?

I love my iPhone 3GS, which I bought new and unlocked from Apple. It's a world phone so I can use it everywhere with prepaid minutes. I can switch carriers. It's a fairly tough phone and seems like this phone will last 5 years.

This idea that people should be on contracts and change phones every year or two is insane. Changing phones is bad for the environment. I myself found a phone on the beach when I was in San Francisco.

And these contracts are so darn expensive.

Whereas I paid $100 for 1000 minutes over 6 months ago and I still haven't used all my minutes. I text a lot. I skype a lot.

I just don't care about the iPhone 5.
OK, have a nice day. This is a dumb thread

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2012
I need my data plan. Or my iPhone would turn into a normal phone that can't do anything when I'm outside the house. Which is a lot...
Do you really use the data plan a lot? Do you really need that data plan? What do you use it for?

----------

If you do not have data, how do you skype a lot, considering you rarely need wifi? My wife buys the 1000 minute cards every six months or so too, but we have never tried using data on her phone.
I use Skype on Wifi :)

Another example: I can use my 3GS as a simple GPS without buing a GPS app. All I do is go into Maps and follow the path I'm going to travel and the map data gets stored in its cache.

I could probably buy the iPhone 5 -- if I could sell the 3GS for a good price. But there isn't a strong reason to and if it ends up costing $700 then I'll wait a couple years.
[/QUOTE]

quietstormSD

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
Wow the OP used to buy a new car every three years. And now is being frugal with his smartphone purchases. What kind of transformation is that? But I gotta say good for the OP. I've cut back some when the economy started to go down hill

----------

id say 90% of iphone owners aren't ok with how he is using his phone...
I think a lot of people wouldn't mind having an iPhone without a data plan. I thought about it a couple of times but ofcourse AT&T doesn't allow you to(plus I'm on contract with them so can't switch. I've found my cellular data usage going up and up over the last few years. Where a few years ago I was barely cracking the 200mb mark and now I'm consistently using over 1.2gb a month. So I don't think the wifi only thing would work for me anymore

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The OP simply has got a point. You don't buy a car every two years, you don't buy a sound system every two years, you don't buy a new laptop/PC every two years, you don't buy a TV set every two years, you don't buy a new fridge every two years, hell you don't even buy a new house phone every two years. But somehow, two years is a very long time when it comes to cellphones.

Cause: contracts that include subsidized phones
Not an accurate analogy. Except for maybe the computer, all of your example aren't purchased every two years because there is no significant performance difference and/or those are significant more expensive items. There is little to no benefit to replacing my TV, fridge, sound system, home phone every two year so of course im not going to replace it. However, the feature/performance difference between phones just being released now and those from 2 years ago is VERY significant. Use the OP's 3GS and a new iPhone 4s and you know as well as I do that they aren't comparable.

And yes, in the US many people purchase new cars every two years via leasing because we want the latest and greatest. :D

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
The issue is most of us on these forums want the latest and greatest. This means upgrading your phone every year. Unfortunately, I like many, have a sick obsession with technology. Phones, Tvs, Computers.....I want the newest available!
This. I think the majority of people here and other sites like it are pure tech freaks or we wouldnt be here.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I want the newest within reason. So rather than upgrade my MBP 2010 to the 2012, I added an SSD and more RAM. The effect was pretty amazing.
You obviously weren't stressing its processing capabilities if that fixed it. it was just a matter of allowing things to run faster and load more stuff at any given time. This can sometimes be an issue with newer OS revisions and applications requiring more resources to run at the same pace. One doesn't address the same stuff as the other.

If pre-paid works for you great. But it's not for everyone. Especially here in the US pre-paid data is both expensive and not the fastest. It piggy backs off the national carriers and gets bottom of the barrel priority. When you are sharing a tower with the carriers customers they get top priority on that tower, your last in line.
Some of the national carriers do have better prepaid rates. You don't get subsidized phones, but they are an option. Personally I wish subsidies would go away there. I'd rather buy my phone outright and spend less on the plan. Note how much less people pay in some countries.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
All this hype about the iPhone 5 is excessive and unnecessary. It's a contract phone after all.

I love my iPhone 3GS, which I bought new and unlocked from Apple. It's a world phone so I can use it everywhere with prepaid minutes. I can switch carriers. It's a fairly tough phone and seems like this phone will last 5 years.

This idea that people should be on contracts and change phones every year or two is insane. Changing phones is bad for the environment. I myself found a phone on the beach when I was in San Francisco.

And these contracts are so darn expensive.

Whereas I paid $100 for 1000 minutes over 6 months ago and I still haven't used all my minutes. I text a lot. I skype a lot.

I just don't care about the iPhone 5.
My close friend pays nearly $200 a month just for his phone plan. ($2,400 a year) Well... It's apart of his business. He's making six figures because he's able to do everything from his phone. He's on the phone all day long... Probably uses 5000+ minutes a month. Just because YOU may think something is too expensive and unnecessary, others have different views and needs.

You don't need the new iPhone because you hardly even use yours. You hardly talk, and you don't even have data... So of course you would not need the new iPhone.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Apr 18, 2010
worst thread ever?

everyones needs are different, OP, who are you to judge?