I don't get what's taking so long?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jbarresi19, Jul 29, 2010.

1. jbarresi19 macrumors 6502

I know I'm probably gonna get flames for this but I do not see what is taking comex and the dev team so long with this jailbreak. Don't get me wrong I know it's free and I greatly appreciate their work but why tempt us with pictures and telling us it's done (with some bugs) if they didn't plan on releasing it for weeks. I know if the show was on the other foot they would be asking just as much. Any ideas? Think they r messing with us?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Mods

/thread

3. GhostDeany macrumors newbie

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I would say that the only folks who really know are the developers themselves. There could be a number of reasons. I think it's likely they are working out the bugs and are making sure everything works correctly. If they didn't, the posts would go from "why isn't it out yet" to "Jailbreak bricked my phone!"

Regardless, I can wait as long as necessary. It'll be out at some point.

5. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

No it's just that comex to me seems like a perfectionist sort of guy.
    and even if he isn't he doesn't want to release something then get blown up on twitter and email that his jailbreak tool has bugs.

Saurik mentioned that facetime doesn't work, no way they'll release a jailbreak where the phone's biggest feature doesn't work.

6. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

You should try looking at the amount of code that has to be written to get everything working, and then consider that Apple also has talented programmers who have put in measures to prevent jailbreaking. It's not like the code remains static with every hardware and software release.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Ask again when you've read every single line of code in the Spirit source code. Then you'll know exactly what's taking so long for this jailbreak.

8. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

if you want a jailbreak so bad, create one yourself and just shut your mouth. simple as that.

9. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I don't understand why people post things that start with "I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this..." esp on this topic... Is the reason the jailbreak is "taking so long" really that big of a mystery to everyone? Is there really a lack of information on this subject? Why is it that the dev team is required to work in a bubble where normal software development timeframes, testing, and releases no longer apply to them.

I've been iPhone-less for over 3 weeks and I say without any hesitation that the dev team could take another 2 months and give no reason at all and we should be fine with that. I'm so flip'n tired of this being rehashed over and over again.

Why would they "mess with us"? What history do they have of "messing with us"? Ask geohot what happens when you mess with an entire community on the internet... it's not pretty.

The same level of confusion you express over the timeframe of the jailbreak is the same level of confusion I have when people don't flip'n understand that the dev team can do whatever they want. Enough with this acting like a spoiled 5 year old ******** that is going on around here.

10. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

11. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

That was a bit harsh.

I really think people have lost sight of what the developers are really doing for all of us. I know next to nothing about coding but can tell that this is quite a task for them.

The truth is, they probably do this for the fun and the challenge but, in the end, are kind enough to share it with all of us.

As valuable as the Jailbreak is to me I, for one, am grateful for their work.

Do I want it yesterday? Of course. But it boils down to this: unless you can code it yourself, you have no choice but to wait.

And I don't know about you but I can't code it myself! :)

12. jbarresi19 thread starter macrumors 6502

90% of the people on this board and most boards online are a group of the ruddest most arrogant people I've ever come across. I never said I wasn't grateful, I never said I could do it myself. I don't know the first thing about jailbreaking. But my point is, if they are going to be out in the "public" by posting on twitter and such they have to know they will get bothered for an ETA. And when u have members of the dev team joking about #pie of coarse it's gonna get people worked up. I'm so sorry I tried to start a conversation. I thought this is what online boards were about. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it's all about searching and reading old post instead of interecting with and learning from others. I won't post again.

13. labman macrumors 604

labman

14. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

FYI - none of the team members started that. It was started by ih8sn0w who isn't on the Dev Team, which stirred up controversy that sauirk put to rest. You can see about that here: http://twitter.com/saurik

Read the first 6 tweets (from bottom to top if you want to do it in order, but you'll get the point either way).

15. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

This is actually a really good place to learn things and share information. Keep in mind that some of the members that are here often see these same types of posts on a daily basis and get a little burned out.

I'm sorry your first experience here was a negative one but, if you look through old posts, you'll see that there is a lot of good information to be had here.

I think the key to staying patient about the pending Jailbreak is to put it in perspective. The team working on it are talented and probably get a little tired of working in a bubble. I think it would be hard not to share to everyone once in awhile their thoughts on the hard work they're doing.

I put myself in their shoes and think I might feel the same.

16. Kayan macrumors 6502

We are sick of these pointless threads. ETA is not out because they are not a corporation with deadlines, they are people with lives that say to themselves "it'd be great to have this done in a week, I could probably make that," but if they don't, they don't get fired from a job or anything big, and to keep it that way, they don't self-impose deadlines they know there's a chance they can't make. I'm more frustrated with Apple dealing with the white iPhone4 right now because unlike the Dev Team, Apple set a deadline for second half of July (which obviously meant from the getgo "the last day in July") which they underestimated. Now, because of Apple's delays, who knows if it might ship with 4.1, thus eliminating my chance for a JB/unlock if I wait out for the white version.
    Maybe the Mods should make this (or another post like it) a sticky just to show all of the newcomers that their worries have already been discussed and well-appreciated, so they don't need to make another thread about it.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

They post as a favor to users who are interested in the day to day progress. Nothing more, nothing less.

18. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The problem is that, despite the fact that you admittedly know nothing about what goes into developing a complex piece of software like a jailbreak, you created a thread in which you did nothing but cast aspersions on the Dev-Team. If you wanted to start a thread discussing what actually goes into a jailbreak, I'm sure we all would have been happy to join you and you might have learned something. But that is not what you did.

19. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

not really, people should be patient when someone is working on something they want. how would you feel if someone was throwing a tantrum.

im thankful for them because they allow me to do what I would like with my iPhone and am glad they are working on it and making sure it works perfectly instead of releasing a half assed jailbreak.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?
    Damn kids.......:rolleyes:

21. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

Now that you said something, I'm sure they will work 10x harder to get it released as soon as possible to make you happy.

22. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

Exactly. I mean, it's not like they're real people who might have lives or jobs or families or school or, um, the need to sleep, eat, and bathe or anything. Sheesh.

23. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Seriously, you should stop typing this in EVERY thread you read that you don't like. It's a community forum. When you walk down the street people post ads and notices for all sorts of things they want to communicate, but it's not your job to have them taken down. Maybe someone else wants to read them, or reply, or contribute to the discussion. You can elect to read or not read anything, so by commenting that the thread should be deleted you're either trying to boost your post count, or trying to play boss, which both are less productive than the actual OP's thread to begin with.

Please stop.

24. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I agree with your first statement, but it somewhat comes with the setting. When there's internet curtains to hide behind, people will say things they'd never have the guts to say in real life. The fact is that while there are many cool, great people on here, there are also many people who have lived their "real life" as a mis-fit, or outcast because of the way they act\dress\behave, and this is their outlet to try and have a voice of power, so many people respond like they responded to your post, flaming you. It's sad and unfortunate because your post, while it may be repetitive, asked an honest question, and you had a right to ask it. People chose to join this forum because it empowers users to use open and free exchange of thoughts and ideas, and yet they then tell mods to delete postings they don't like or agree with. Hypocrisy is funny, but feel better knowing most of the people who flame you for asking a legitimate question are trolls themselves, social outcasts who use this thread as a means to feel some sort of power and accomplishment in their otherwise meaningless nonproductive lives.

But to answer your question, Jailbreak will come when it comes. Always buy a phone with the assumption that you'll use it without a jailbreak, and if it comes it's like christmas... but if you RELY on it, don't upgrade or get a new handset because the inevitable disappointment of not having it immediately available will keep you up at night :) Welcome to MR, by the way... keep ignoring the flame-throwers and you'll be fine.

25. JakkOne macrumors newbie

JakkOne