Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
Taken together there’s something unsatisfying about it. The silicone is less tacky this year so it slides into my pocket much better versus last year’s which I had to push in with effort, so that's good. The new silicone is still grippy enough. The magnets make it easier to take off or install the case, but it feels less securely in place compared to last year’s. And because of the magnets the whole phone with the case feels extra heavy. So there have been definite improvements, but I felt I had to return it anyway.

Last edited:

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I agree, I’m sad as I have always enjoyed silicone cases in the past, and nothing could compare. This year, they’re mediocre at best and I returned mine too. the charging port was what did it for me, digged into my pinky and it was not a pleasant experience.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I was at the Apple store yesterday and asked one of the employees about the upcoming leather cases for the 12 pro max and he said they would have a cut out at the bottom. So we shall see.

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Well and fine.
But it can take a bit of getting used to for those coming from open bottom
I came from an open bottom. Had the black Apple Leather on my XSMax for two years. Didn’t even take me time to adjust. I’m being honest here when I say it works perfectly, and took no adjustment on my part.

Of course, I concede that every person is different, and not everyone will handle their phones just like me.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
I came from an open bottom. Had the black Apple Leather on my XSMax for two years. Didn’t even take me time to adjust. I’m being honest here when I say it works perfectly, and took no adjustment on my part.

I am not disputing your adaptability

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Of course, I concede that every person is different, and not everyone will handle their phones just like me.

same here. I didn’t realize it was different or anything at all.

Reactions: decypher44

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Closed bottom has that extremely narrow ridge over the lightning port that will most likely break really easily - remember this from the original iPhone SE.

Angelbethany

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
I really like my silicone case on my 12 Pro so far... and I'm not sure about the stiff ridge around the lightning port that people are referring to....mine doesn't seem to have it

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
I really like my silicone case on my 12 Pro so far... and I'm not sure about the stiff ridge around the lightning port that people are referring to....mine doesn't seem to have it

You are lucky, and I probably had a defective case. What color did you get?

Caesars

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2013
The case itself doesn’t really feel very different (I change cases often - that closed bottom isn’t even noticeable).

I will say the newer design with the flat edges (that I love) make it easier to hold (IMHO) and with the flat silicone edges, it’s extremely easy to hold and it feels very secure in the hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.