I Dont Like My iPod Touch !

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by marold280, Jun 27, 2008.

1. marold280 macrumors 6502

marold280

Just thought i would ask if there is anyone else that really doesn't like their ipod touch and whether i am the only one.
    i dont like the ipod app, its annoying and fiddly and i only have 8gigs which was bloody 200 quid . i need more space.
    I also dont like how thin it is, i am afraid to take it anywhere because it might snap.
    I am selling it now for £140 and buying an ipod classic!
    much nicer =]
    i would like to hear your thoughts.
    Harry

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

:confused: u dont like how thin it is? Its extremely well built, i have no idea where ur getting the feeling it can snap in half, the back is only made of metal....

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I am sorry that you don't like it, but it sounds like you did not even put in any effort to research it before you bought it. If you knew that you were going to need more space, why didn't you buy a 16GB or 32GB version? And did you look at videos or use the iPod at all in the store before you bought it? You would have seen the basics of the iPod app, and could have based a pretty solid opinion of it beforehand. I for one, along with many others, find this to be the best part of the iPod. Too thin? Why would you want it to take up more space? It would have taken up a ton of effort to actually snap it.

But in means of what I do not like about it, I do not like how prone to scratches the back is, and how Apple tells how the glass is scratch-proof, while mine seems to be a scratch magnet.

4. marold280 thread starter macrumors 6502

marold280

yes i agree. i bought my ipod touch literally on the day it came out. 8gb was all i could afford and i only really wanted to try the touch screeny-ness .
    The thin thing, its just not sturdy, i just dont like it. the ipod classic has a nice thickness to it. tbh i think im just used to old ipods.
    i just hate how expensive the ipod touches are !!

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

there is a HUGE difference between scratch PROOF and scratch RESISTANT, the screen is resistant (and rather good):apple:

6. linden macrumors regular

linden

As others have stated you dident study enough. I for one look forever to find out everything about it!

7. cfs macrumors 6502a

I love mine. I take it everywhere and use it all the time. Just the other day my printer was broken so I used the map app and used that to find my way on a drive.

The other bonuses, in my opinion are:

My wife and I travel a lot so the movies help us out.

Also, there is always a struggle to use the computer when visiting in-laws or at home. Having the Touch synced to our emails and contacts makes our lives easier. I love being able to open attachments and respond promptly.

Anyway, it works for me.

-cfs

8. Tosser macrumors 68030

Even I, who really doesn't want to own an iPod, cannot understand why on earth you bouht something like that without doing even just a bit of research beforehand.

What's next? You coming on here, saying you dislike the iPod "Classic" because it isn't flash-memory?

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Love my touch, headphones are a different story.

The iPod headphones broke, so I bought some fake CX300's for £3 of amazon, they have just broke so I've bought some genuine black ones off play.com. £35 off Apple, or £17 off play :)

10. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

i love mine, it is never not with me (okay, its not in the boat with me so it dosent fall in) and i would never get rid of it, sorry you dont like it

11. atomheartmother macrumors regular

What's the "ipod app?"

Also, I've had an 80 GB Classic. I don't recall it being any fatter than my Touch.

12. aristobrat macrumors G5

Not sure if you're old enough to remember when the original iPods only had 5GB of storage and cost more (7 years ago!) than the iPod touch does today, but being on the leading edge of consumer technology is rarely inexpensive.

Being on the out-going end of consumer technology (i.e. the iPod classic, with its non-touch screen and thicker, spinning hard-drive) is always more affordable.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't worry, it probably doesn't like you either.

Big ham fisted person always threatening to snap it in two every time you use the poor thing.

Jabbing and poking it all the time, sucking the life out of its batteries, etc.

14. tdevers macrumors regular

I had one for a short while before I got my iPhone. I would go as far as saying it's too thin, I just find it uncomfortable to hold. I much prefer the feel of the iPhone and the matte finish to it's backside.

I'm also not a huge fan on touch controls in the car. But that's why my Nano has been retired to car duty. :)

15. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I'm the same way. I can't see going anywhere without it.
    I love mine not hate it.

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Once again, nothing against you, but your mistake here was buying it on the day it came out, and not waiting much for reviews and videos of the device. But unlike others, you did try to make it work for over half a year, and at least it is not a first reaction that is making you return it. But what do you mean by it is not sturdy? Good luck with your next choice!!
    There is a difference, but they are nearly the same, but after looking at my iPod touch screen and realizing that I do care for it and make every last attempt to protect the screen, it would be hard to call the screen scratch resistant.

And after a quick look at Apple's website, they do not seem to list the screen as being scratch proof or resistant anymore, I guess they were over-making a claim there and corrected themselves, but it may still be buried in their site somewhere.

17. [chad] macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

you know, you can buy cases that make it consideraby thicker - almost as thick as the iPhone...

18. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

Just to address some of your points.

It's too expensive? Why did you buy it then?

If it doesn't have enough memory, I would have purchased a larger model to suite your needs. If you couldn't afford a larger model, I would have suggested you either buy a Classic or wait until you had the extra money to afford a larger model.

It took amazing engineering to get it that thin, and I can promise you, I treat mine "roughly" and the back isn't even dented let alone cracked, if you can bend metal god bless you.

Im just curious what it is about the iPod app that you don't like? This is just an opinion, but I think many would agree with me that it's a very functional app that does it's job amazingly well, I don't see how it could be made much better. It displays everything in large easily readable text, you view beautiful album art, and everything moves quickly and smoothly. So please explain what it is about it you dont like.

And as many have said, in the future it would be wise to research a product well before purchasing it, and in your case especially, as you claim that you could barely afford it. If I was scraping my pockets to purchase a $300 product, I would want to make sure I was getting something I liked.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

apple never listed it as scratch proof, only resistant, and mine has NEVER scratched. ive seen videos of people taking steak knives to it and not scratching it, what the hell do you do to it??

Also note that the only thing in a pocket that can scratch it is sand, because of its hardness

20. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

21. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I am saying how it seems as if they no longer list it as being resistant or proof, as I seem to remember that it was proof, but I easily could be wrong, but whichever it was it doesn't matter, lets drop the debate as to whichever it was.
    In means of the scratches on mine, it happened when I accidently dropped my keys into my pocket forgetting my iPod was there, I immediately took them out, but there a few scratches had already been made, the keys were dull car keys that are 9 years old and have been used on a daily basis for the past 9 years and don't have any sharp points on them anymore. This iPod was a replacement of another which had a chip in the screen that I have no clue where it came from. I never recall dropping it, so I can't explain that one either. I usually leave my iPod in a pocket to itself, so that it doesn't have much at all to scratch it, yet there are about 5 scratches that are pissing me off.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The iPod touch is just barely thicker than a nano, so it is muuuuuch thinner than your classic.

i think by iPod app he meant music app. The iPhone is the one with the iPod app. However their basically the same thing, with just the tiniest plist edits you can change the iPod touch's video and music apps into the iPod app, and you can probably do the reverse on the iPhone.

23. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Sorry, I meant the music app in my post, and I assume that the OP meant that in his.

24. danny_w macrumors 601

I don't have an iPod Touch, but I do have an iPhone. People are jumping all over the OP saying that he didn't study enough before buying. While that may be true, there are some things that you just never find out until you actually use something. I bough an iPhone well after they came out, and after I had spent considerable time in the stores trying them out. However, after using it for a while, I found that I also do not like the iPod (music) functions very well, and I consequently hardly ever use them. The touch screen is not for everyone; I like the positive click wheel and buttons much better for playing my music; I can skip forward of back, pause, play, etc. without having to look at the screen, unlike on the iPhone or Touch. I too would much prefer an iPod Classic or Nano compared to this iPhone (but I like everything else about the iPhone).

25. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Both your and the OP's reasons are fine, people are giving him a little grief because he bought it the day it became available, he didn't even wait 2 days for reviews to get out. If he had waited for this, then he probably would have made a more suitable choice for his iPod, and wouldn't be disappointed now. Not a huge mistake, but if it were me and I was planning on buying it as soon as possible, then I would have waited at least 2 weeks after it was publicly released so we could read what the everyday average people felt about it, and not the typical reviewers felt or the fabricated(might not be the right word) Apple reviews.