I dont really see any new features?!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Justin33, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Justin33 macrumors regular

Justin33

I saw the photos look different and the camera has time-lapse and burst mode but everything else seems the same. Help me understand what's new here!! iphone 5s

2. ipooed macrumors 6502a

ipooed

There isn't too many! I guess that's why it baffles me as to why there is so many bugs in this release

3. matttye macrumors 601

You can install custom keyboards. Notification centre can contain widgets. Apps can use touchid. Apps can use interactive notifications (eg quick reply to messages by sliding down the notification banner). Apps can now share files between each other. + lots more...look on the Apple website.

4. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Lots of API changes. Developers would understand.

5. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

There are a lot of new features in iOS 8. Whether you like them or will make use of them is another story.

If you want to know what all the new features are, look over the release notes etc. There is also a video by a MacRumors staff member on the front page highlighting several of the new features.

6. Justin33 thread starter macrumors regular

Justin33

Hmm.. ok. I saw some new wallpapers. That's cool.

So all these new widgets, are they just going to drain my battery?

7. theBostonian Suspended

I was looking forward to the increased functionality of the keyboard that I saw in the keynote but it seems that that is solely reserved for the iPhone 6 in landscape mode and not, as one might expect, an iPad in landscape mode.

Hopefully some developer can add that functionality into their keyboard and I can use that instead of stingy Apple's.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Yes, they are all out to eat your batteries

9. Justin33 thread starter macrumors regular

Justin33

But they must not eat my batteries! The Queen Zema (formerly a whore) from planet Zolar made my battery special just for me, then informed the battery-assembler-peasant at Foxconn when they built my phone. It was a special order phone from the Zolar Galactic Assembly Committee.

Damn.

10. EJ8 Suspended

EJ8

LOL. Are you serious?

11. Mabus51 macrumors 6502a

There's also the Medical ID card on the lock screen. Click on Emergency to see it

12. geeshiet macrumors member

Well I had an android before and to me this update doesn't really astound me at all. I just don't feel it. So I might be purchasing an android after another year.

13. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Yea, it's rather disappointing, or underwhelming to be more colloquial.

14. apolloa macrumors G4

Well, in Safari when you have lots of reloading tabs, I mean tabs open then you can drag them from one end to un-hide them, a feature they have pretty much ripped right off Chrome on Android :rolleyes: but hey ho, shame the tabs don't stop endlessly reloading link in Chrome.

15. EJ8 Suspended

EJ8

What exactly are you people expecting? Apple can't reinvent the phone and OS every 12 months. Nor can Android or any other one.

Read this: http://www.imore.com/ios-8-review

When you're done come back and give us your thoughts on whether there is anything new.

16. matttye macrumors 601

Most of the announced features are either missing or don't work properly.

1. iCloud Photo Library - not there for many people;
    2. HealthKit - all apps that used it pulled at the last minute;
    3. iCloud Drive - not yet implemented in any apps as far as I can tell.

Not many apps updated yet to take advantage of the new features. I've only had about 3 updates since iOS 8 dropped so I'm guessing the app store is getting hammered.

17. thaifood macrumors 6502

iOS 8 has been out for less than a day. Let the developers work and get things sorted with the new APIs...

18. apolloa macrumors G4

Looks like.. so far... they have finally fixed the WiFi on the 5GHZ band on the iPad Mini Retina.

19. matttye macrumors 601

You know developers have been able to develop for it for months right?

20. geeshiet macrumors member

Although I do like the simplicity of the iPhone and how quick it is. But i'm beginning to realize that i like diversity and freedom more. I like android and iPhone.. And i dont know what to choose. I'm stuck guys help me

21. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

This update contains hundreds of new features, including the following:
    Messages improvements
    Tap to Talk to send your voice, a video or a photo with just a swipe
    Group messaging options to name a conversation, add a contact, remove a contact, or leave a conversation
    New details view with Do Not Disturb, location sharing and attachments view
    Photos improvements
    Smart editing tools to adjust light and color with a swipe
    Fine-tune controls to adjust exposure, brightness, contrast, highlights, shadows and more
    Search by date, location, or album name or use smart suggestions
    Smart albums for Slo-mo videos, Bursts, Panoramas, and Time-lapse
    Third-party photo filters and editing tools supported directly in Photos
    Your photos and metadata from iPhoto will be migrated to Photos. Books, Journals and Slideshows will be converted to albums containing only photos. iPhoto for iOS is not supported on devices running iOS 8 or later.
    Camera improvements
    Time-lapse mode
    Capture timer
    Adjust exposure with a simple nudge to lighten or darken a photo prior to capture
    Burst mode on front facing camera on iPhone 5s
    Panorama for iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display
    QuickType keyboard
    Predictive typing personalized to your writing style, and customized based on the recipient and the app
    Predictive is available in English (Australia, Canada, UK, US), French (Canada, France, Switzerland), German (Germany, Switzerland), Italian, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish, Thai
    Third-party keyboard support
    Health
    New Health app with easy-to-read dashboard of health and fitness data
    Ability to share health data with apps to provide a more comprehensive way to manage your health and fitness
    Add a Medical ID with information about allergies, medical conditions, and more with the option to make accessible from the lock screen
    Available on iPhone and iPod touch
    Family Sharing
    Share iTunes, iBooks, and App Store purchases with up to six members of your family.
    Pay for family purchases with a single credit card and approve purchases by children with Ask to Buy
    Easily share family photos, a family calendar, locations and more
    iCloud Drive
    Store all your documents in iCloud and access them from your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or PC
    Share the same file across multiple compatible apps
    Edits you make on one device update on all your devices automatically
    Continuity features so your iPhone, iPad, and Mac work together more seamlessly
    Handoff to continue what you’re doing as you move from one device to another
    Make and receive calls and send and receive SMS or MMS messages on your iPad or Mac
    Instant Hotspot to automatically use your cellular connection to get online with your other devices
    AirDrop compatibility with OS X Yosemite
    Available on iPhone 5 or later, iPad (4th generation), iPad Air, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation)
    Spotlight improvements
    Displays suggestions from Wikipedia entries, places nearby, movies (US only), popular web sites, App Store, iTunes Store and iBooks Store
    Safari also supports Spotlight suggestions alongside Top Hit and search suggestions
    Supported for local languages in US, UK, Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland
    Mail improvements
    Easily jump between drafts and your inbox with a simple swipe down on the draft
    Intelligent suggestions for Calendar events and Contacts
    VIP threads
    Siri improvements
    Improvements to responsiveness, reliability and accuracy
    “Hey, Siri” option to initiate Siri using just your voice when your device is plugged in
    Streaming voice recognition
    Works with Shazam to answer “What song is playing?”
    Purchase content from iTunes Store
    Safari improvements
    DuckDuckGo search engine support
    Private browsing per tab
    Subscribe to RSS feeds in Shared Links
    Use Camera to scan and enter credit card info
    Maps improvements
    Flyover city tours
    Maps place cards in Phone and Contacts
    Inline map view and travel time notifications for Calendar events
    App Store improvements
    New Explore tab for easier category browsing
    Top trending searches displayed in Search tab
    Scrolling search results
    App video previews
    Editors’ Choice badges
    Quick access to key contacts in multitasking view
    Interactive Notifications for Messages, Mail, Calendar, Reminders and enabled third-party apps
    New Tips app to help you do more with your iOS devices
    iBooks app built into iOS, now with auto night mode and new organization for book series
    Podcasts app built into iOS
    Battery usage by app
    iCloud Keychain can use saved website passwords to easily sign in to associated apps
    FaceTime Audio call waiting
    Rich text editing in Notes
    Peer-to-peer AirPlay discovery and playback
    Enterprise features
    Expanded data protection to Calendar, Contacts, Messages, Reminders, and Notes in addition to Mail and 3rd-party apps
    Per message S/MIME email controls
    Improved UI to make it easier for users to understand the remote management of their device
    Automatic reply for Exchange
    Free/busy lookup for Calendar invitations
    MDM Managed books can be automatically pushed to users
    Accessibility features
    Redesigned Zoom with one-handed control and multiple zoom modes including picture-in-picture
    Built-in timer and Touch ID support for Guided Access
    Speak Screen to read out contents of the screen via gesture or Siri command
    VoiceOver improvements including Alex voice option and Braille input support
    Multi-device support for MFi hearing aids to seamlessly switch from one paired iOS device to another
    Features for China
    Vector-based maps
    Turn-by-turn navigation
    Lunar calendar support
    Improved predictive input
    Improved weather data
    Expanded language support
    Dictation support for 22 additional languages: Croatian, Catalan, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Slovakian, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
    New keyboards for English (India), Bengali, Filipino, Marathi, Slovenian, and Urdu
    Hindi localization
    Definitions of a selected word for additional languages: Russian, Portuguese (Brazil), Thai, Turkish
    Spanish-English bilingual dictionary
    Spell check for Turkish
    Hebrew language support for Text to Speech and VoiceOver
    New developer capabilities including
    Extensibility, giving apps new sharing options and the ability to create widgets, photo filters and editing tools in Photos, and 3rd-party keyboards
    Metal, a new graphics technology for game providers to bring console-class 3D games to mobile devices
    SpriteKit and SceneKit for improved 2D and 3D games
    HealthKit, so health and fitness apps can share their data with each other
    HomeKit, a new way for you to control supported devices in your home using Siri
    Touch ID support so you can sign in to third-party apps with just your fingerprint
    CloudKit, offering a complete and scaleable back-end solution helping developers eliminate the need for writing server code and maintaining servers
    Bug fixes
    Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas.
    For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

22. apolloa macrumors G4

and no multi user accounts support :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

23. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

There are updates to apps that take advantage of the new API's in iOS 8 available in the Appstore already. I have 2 new keyboards now. Swiftkey and Fleksy. They work flawlessly.

24. Planey28 macrumors 6502

The App store updates are only just coming out though. It's going to be weeks for all the popular apps to incorporate the new features.

25. C DM macrumors Westmere

Yeah, it's all crap because all the possible features weren't added. :rolleyes: