I doubt the new iPod Touch will have a Retina Display

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by nhlducks35, Jul 8, 2010.

1. nhlducks35 macrumors regular

The reason why is because iPhones are still going to be in demand, and I doubt that the company that makes the display (LG I think, or Samsung?) can start making 500,000 more displays for the touch.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I don't think Apple would remove such a key feature simply because of this. I think they would more likely delay production.

Also, 500,000 displays don't actually take that long to make in many automated factories that can produce tons of displays per day. Once the process is set it's just let it roll.

I'm sure the RD will be in the next iPod Touch and I'm sure it will come out on time. I think you're just underestimating the amount of production the company(ies) can do.

3. djdarlek macrumors regular

There is no way on earth they won't have the new display. They would rather stall and release months late than launch. Look at their Cinema displays for example, which haven't been revamped for so many years purely because they are waiting for the costs of the new tech to fall in price.

4. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I feel quite confident that it will have the same retina display as the iPhone 4.0. Firstly 960x640 will become the default resolution for all new and updated apps and 480x320 apps will be slowly phased out over the next 12 months so they will certainly not keep the current 480x320 display on the new model touch. Secondly cost wise there would be no benefit for Apple to source, stock and manage 3 different types of display for the 3G Touch & 3GS baseline models, iPhone 4 and Touch 4.

5. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

If they don't include it, that means that the iPod touch a full year without the same display as the iPhone, and keep in mind for the last 3 years the iPhone and iPod touch have had the exact same screen size and resolution. That also means that for the next year in the App Store there would be fragmentation between the two devices.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I don't think that it will have it either. The Retina Display is very expensive! It costs Apple $183 for Apple to make the iPhone 4 16gb. Apple wouldn't make an profit.

7. Skyhigh223 macrumors regular

Since when has the iPhone 4 been an iPod touch?

Apple don't have to include GPS, Compass, Cellular tomfoolery - maybe not even two cameras, who knows?

But the iPod touch will be a lot cheaper than the iPhone 4 to build, and even as it stands, iPod touches cost more than $183 to buy, so Apple would be making a profit.

8. scubasteve03 macrumors regular

There is no way apple would not put the new display in the ipod touch. They have used the EXACT same display in both products since they came out. It doesn't cost apple that much more money to put the retina display in the iphone. If you look at the ifixit.com breakdown of parts, the display is very close to what the cost of the display used last year in the ipod touch.
    Without the new display in the ipod touch, it would be a very stale product. People are already upset about the petty upgrade in last years model. They are not going to be able to use the 5mp camera so they are going to have to make up in other areas. I will put money on it that they keep doing what they have for the last 3 years.

9. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

The iSuppli breakdown had the cost of the phone and gps related components at around $27 which is approximately the same as it would cost to up the memory from 16GB to 32GB so if they did nothing else but remove the phone\gps components and increase memory to 32GB they could produce a 32GB Touch with same retina display and same front and back facing camera for around the same $180-$185 mark and still manage to keep it at $299 the 64GB would be even more profitable for Apple costing just $240 to manufacture and selling at $399.

10. Biker macrumors regular

It will have it, if jobs sees it as a gaming device why not put the retina display?
    IIt's one of those features that will be added for ssure.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It will get the cameras. Apple wants FaceTime to become the standard. The iPod touch is the fastest way there.

12. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I have no doubts that apple will put the new retina display on the new iPods, They want to create a standard size instead of many different sizes, Not regarding this topic i have more doubts about a camera, but if they ever make an iPod Touch with GPS/Compass and an integrated Microphone i wouldn't buy iPhones anymore

13. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

First, I don't think that "a lot" of people were upset about last year's update. Sure it was basically an incremental update on the internals, but before the introduction of the iPad the iPod touch was the most elegant touch device Apple had made. Even today with the iPad and iPhone 4, the iPod does not look remotely dated.

Second, with the iPhone 3GS still in production I do not see it as being a foregone conclusion that a retina display will be included in the update. Apple will continue to ship 2 displays for the next year.

It wouldn't surprise me if the display was included and it wouldn't surprise me if the display was absent. Personally, I think an iPod touch with a retina display and the current enclosure would be incredible. That said, I think Apple's priorities for the iPod are as follows: First roll out Facetime - so that means two cameras. Second add a retina display. If that means waiting a year so that all iPhones and iPods have it, so be it.

14. androiphone macrumors 65816

I would say apples prioroty for the ipod touch is the apps, as they sell it as a direct competitor to the psp and DS, therefore the retina display will be a must as any games written soley for a high res screen would not work on a lesser screen, the same principle is why the new ipod will have the gyroscope.

remember apple makes money from apps but doesnt from facetime therefore its highest priority is the things that enable them to sell apps

15. the-oz-man macrumors 6502

the-oz-man

I think the iPod Touch will certainly get the Retina display. It's one of the top features of the iPhone and will be a huge upgrade selling point.

16. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

I have seen it priced at about 30 bucks. Im pretty sure alot of that 183 is for cellular parts, gps, etc.
    +1
    Im not sure about the back one but definitely a front one.
    +1

It should have a retina if Apple wants a great device.

17. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I think that you forgot that Apple sells the 16gb iPhone for $599 and the 32gb for $699. With the retina display, Apple's margins would be cut significantly.

18. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You mean 1 camera. Facetime in no way requires a rear camera, just a front one. To be honest, I would think that if they're going to include the front camera they'll include a rear one as well, but you only need the front one for Facetime.

19. Biker macrumors regular

But you can use the back one as well for face time on the iphone right?

20. oHai macrumors member

Maybe to probably for the RD; probably to definitely for the FaceTime front camera. I think Apple will want to get as many FT devices out on the market as fast as they can.

21. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

Not really, the whole point of FaceTime is to be able to "video chat" with and without a self portrait. Speaking of, there goes another commercial for the iPhone 4's FaceTime.

22. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

Yes technically they do but in reality they don't, people line up to get iPhones in their hot little hands for $199\$299. If there were no subsidies on the iPhone how many do you think they would sell at $599-$699, I am pretty sure it would be way, way less than even 10% of 1.7mil in 3 days.

The two retail markets are completely different and can not be compared. Apple gets what it gets for the iPhone simply because it can, long costly contracts, kickbacks, extras and ongoing charges are the industry norm, customers expect it and accept it.

Not so with the iPod market, lets look at the original iPod as it is the only comprehensive teardown cost I can find. The 8GB 1G touch had a BOM of around $155, if Apple had priced it by iPhone standards it would have retailed for $499 and never got off the ground, instead it sold for a far smaller markup at $299.

There is no reason why Apple could not include the same retina display as the iPhone in the new iPod touch and still maintain their current profit margin in fact there are more reasons for it than against it.

Higher resolution of 960x640 is a given, 480x320 is on its way out. Apps are and will continue to update for it especially in the gaming sector which is the marketing focus Apple has chosen for the touch. The current 3.5 inch 161dpi displays would be unusable\unreadable at 960x640.

The R&D costs and production setup costs already done, tried, tested and up and running. Making more of the same is cheaper than going through the whole process again for a completely different LCD just for the touch.

Beautiful Big New Shiny Retina Display = HUGE HYPE and increased sales for the new touch. Same Old Same Old = HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT and stagnating or declining sales for the new touch.

23. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I believe the next iPod touch WILL get the retina display. First, it will help to encourage developers to continue updating apps for the higher resolution. Second, I think the retina display and FaceTime (front camera) are going to be the 2 big selling points of the new iPod touch. I wouldn't expect more than that, aside from battery improvements and the move to an A4-based hardware design.

24. EllieV macrumors 6502

RSs price

The screen/retina display is $28, just putting that out there.

25. iMac0765 macrumors regular

Shut Up.

The iPod Touch 1G cost 155 dollars to make, and it retailed for 249 at the time.

So if the iPhone 16GB cost 183 to make (with Cellular internals and unnecessary equipment), it would be approx 150 - 160 dollars to make an iPod Touch 4G.*

That means the pricing would be starting at 249 or even 229.