I feel like Find my iPhone has failed me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nouveau-apple, Oct 21, 2014.

1. nouveau-apple, Oct 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

nouveau-apple macrumors 6502a

It finally happened to me. First iPhone I've ever had stolen, it was a 5s. And I'm the one who always tells people to keep their phone secure. Activate Find My iPhone and keep your phone locked down with alphanumeric passwords and Touch ID. I used it all.

But now, my phone is stolen and I'm putting Find My iPhone to the test. So far, there's been no activity on it. Any reason why?

I've already taken all the appropriate steps as far as notifying my carrier and erasing the phone.

Now, that they have it, is there any way... ANY way that that person could get into it, like jailbreaking it or something?

Or will it be locked forever? :)

2. noobinator macrumors 601

They will sell it for parts.

3. dilap macrumors 6502a

I think they can replace the logic board, therefore replacing the memory, and start it as a new iPhone. There would be no activity in the other account.

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's forever locked. They can only sell it or strip it for the parts.

5. noobinator macrumors 601

What about if the thief knew or was an Apple employee? Similar to how those unlocking people work.

6. Oli20 macrumors member

My understanding is that wouldn't matter as Apple says they cannot unlock it if you forget your password. I agree with the other posts, it's only good for parts.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

forever locked, with find my phone on and icloud set up

without this they could resotre it in iTunes and get it working but find my phone and icloud puts an activation locked on it, so even if you think its restored when you swipe to setup it will get to a screen asking for icloud password without it you can't proceed.

we use iPhones at my work and when people leave they turn in their phone to me, a few have left find my phone on so I have to get our carrier to contact apple to unlock it

8. Oli20 macrumors member

So I was wrong, Apple can unlock it huh?

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

To jailbreak your phone there are several conditions that need to be met.

First, the thief would have to be aware of the concept of jailbreaking. Most thieves have no idea what they have or how to use it, much less any idea that jailbreaking is a concept. They steal to make quick cash.

Next, the thief would need to gain access to your springboard, i.e., unlock the phone. Assuming they fool your Touch ID and you had a pin code and they passed that, then they would need to download and run a jailbreak app appropriate to your version of iOS.

Currently, there is no jailbreak for iOS 8.

Some jailbreaks require iTunes, so the thief would also need access to a computer running the appropriate version of iTunes if that was necessary.

Even if the thief succeeded in all this, the thief still does not know your AppleID password. Assuming you have set the App store app to require your password for installing or updating the thief would have to figure this out. If your phone was on iOS 7 or above, the first time the thief ever tried to restore he would be confronted with activation lock.

This is a highly improbable series of events predicated on the intelligence of the thief who in most instances wants to get rid of the phone for cash as quickly as possible.

Any attempt to restore your phone, jailbroken or not, will require either through iTunes or your phone your AppleID and password. Unless you are extremely lax with security or the thief knows you, the thief is screwed at this point. There is no way around activation lock without your AppleID and password.

So, as the others have said, your iPhone is most likely been parted out.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

oh ya apple can if you answer all the security questions

11. tekkt0r macrumors member

I wish apple would require TouchID or a password as an option to manually power off an iDevice. This would drastically aid in locating lost/stolen iDevices, at least until the battery dies.

12. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Yup locked forever and can only be used for parts.

13. noobinator macrumors 601

or til they throw it in a swimming pool/lake/ocean

14. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I think the Find my phone feature is more for lost phones and that added security to lock the lost device not to go hunting down theives, that could get dangerous

15. tekkt0r macrumors member

Okay, there's that. I have a note on the inside of my case that explains stealing my phone is completely futile and that if they return it to me, they'll get a $50 reward. My wife's cell is in the note.

16. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You do not even need to power it off. Swipe up and invoke airplane mode and the phone cannot be located.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Or drop it in a glass of water and get themselves a new one for the out of warranty replacement price.

18. WilliamG macrumors G3

Depends on if you allowed the phone to access the Control Center without being unlocked..

19. tekkt0r macrumors member

Not for me it isn't, lol.

[​IMG]

20. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

well played ;)

21. tekkt0r macrumors member

good point.

----------

even better point

22. jettrue macrumors regular

jettrue

This just happened to my daughter's iPhone 4 at school. Running iOS 7, locked with passcode and immediately turned on "Lost mode". thief must have it turned off, I have one location ping yesterday at 3pm (busy highway, not residential), and nothing since.

23. noobinator macrumors 601

I would hide it in the back of a cab just to mess with people.

24. BvizioN Suspended

BvizioN

Not at all.
    Until they activate Airplane mode or remove sim card.

25. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Throw it in a garbage truck. When they finally track its location, all they get is a steaming pile of poo.