Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I find Apple is becoming too much like Microsoft now.

First before going on to saying any thing , I find apple is abandoning Mac users in fevor of people using the iPhone ,iPad and the iPod the general public that do not have a Mac computers.I also feel Apple is becoming more like Bill Gates now ''this is the way we do it'' like it or leave it.And more lockdown and closed OS to get more profit ie Blu ray and iTunes , white Macbook discontinued despite fan base.

Before apple was about bringing over PC users to the Mac world.They put all their money in deign ,testing and more testing to make OS bug free and computer of better built quality.But in past years the white Macbook and Macbook pro have been riddle with problems.

I find Apple is slow at going to latest technology when it comes to removable devices do to they feel you do not need it , do to iTunes store and iCloud that sounds nice it really does but you all know will be controlled by Apple and profit is the big thing why they are doing it .No it will not be free.

When OS X came out it was one thing that's make a OS that is very very very very easy to use ,bug free ,very attractive and forcessing on the young people and people in school and the public .Where Microsoft was forcessing on one thing the older people and businessess.

A other think I do not like is Apple is moving away of so called ''hey that looks cute'' ''look at the eye candy OS'' ''it just works'' ''better built quality''

I feel Apple like Microsoft when they get big they do not care about people and become very much so that the typical saying of ''like it or leave it mentality''

Yes Lion is the best operating system on the face of earth but Apple dropped features that Snow leopard had that Lion does not !!!! not to say some features that Lion has that you do not have option of yes or no.Like the scrollbars ,full screen so on.

When it comes to look and feel I will take Snow leopard any day, I guess when Lion 2 comes out we will have a monochrome dock,desktops and icons !!! And when Lion 3 comes out no dock it be 100% ipad look and feel.

Thanks Apple I now have Linux by this point.

sorry for my rent but I'm jus so mad .

sotorious

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010

First before going on to saying any thing , I find apple is abandoning Mac users in fevor of people using the iPhone ,iPad and the iPod the general public that do not have a Mac computers.I also feel Apple is becoming more like Bill Gates now ''this is the way we do it'' like it or leave it.And more lockdown and closed OS to get more profit ie Blu ray and iTunes , white Macbook discontinued despite fan base.

Before apple was about bringing over PC users to the Mac world.They put all their money in deign ,testing and more testing to make OS bug free and computer of better built quality.But in past years the white Macbook and Macbook pro have been riddle with problems.

I find Apple is slow at going to latest technology when it comes to removable devices do to they feel you do not need it , do to iTunes store and iCloud that sounds nice it really does but you all know will be controlled by Apple and profit is the big thing why they are doing it .No it will not be free.

When OS X came out it was one thing that's make a OS that is very very very very easy to use ,bug free ,very attractive and forcessing on the young people and people in school and the public .Where Microsoft was forcessing on one thing the older people and businessess.

A other think I do not like is Apple is moving away of so called ''hey that looks cute'' ''look at the eye candy OS'' ''it just works'' ''better built quality''

I feel Apple like Microsoft when they get big they do not care about people and become very much so that the typical saying of ''like it or leave it mentality''

Yes Lion is the best operating system on the face of earth but Apple dropped features that Snow leopard had that Lion does not !!!! not to say some features that Lion has that you do not have option of yes or no.Like the scrollbars ,full screen so on.

When it comes to look and feel I will take Snow leopard any day, I guess when Lion 2 comes out we will have a monochrome dock,desktops and icons !!! And when Lion 3 comes out no dock it be 100% ipad look and feel.

Thanks Apple I now have Linux by this point.

sorry for my rent but I'm jus so mad .

Money talks ********* walks. This world revolves around money period.

(marc)

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
the woods
I agree with everything you said. However, I just can't make the switch to Linux. I tried many times, and I use it on a desktop PC, but for laptops multitouch support just isn't good enough...

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
I agree with everything you said. However, I just can't make the switch to Linux. I tried many times, and I use it on a desktop PC, but for laptops multitouch support just isn't good enough...

I will see what Lion 2 is like . If Lion 2 is movig away from OS X to iPad look and feel I'm really thinking of getting Linux.

I mean you cannot use Snow leopard or Lion for 8 years or more at one point they will be old OS no longer suppported.

JetBlack7

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2011
Portugal
Money talks, and since Apple has a lot of it right now, they can do pretty much what they want, how they want, when they want.

Believe me, some people will always feed the money machine that is Apple, even if a product is not the standard type or quality and you know why? Because they are paying for the prestiege, which not everyone can afford...

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006

When did Microsoft ever abandon Windows users?

When did Bill Gates ever say "this is the way we do it like it or leave it" (or similar)?

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
I hate that everyone has a Mac computer at university now. I used to like the exclusivity, and I think when I am done with my MBP I'll get a comparable Windows PC, just so I'm not like everyone else. I'm thinking the same way with the iPhone as well, I've ordered myself a Torch 9860 to fart around with until the iPhone 5 comes out and I quite like not being another faceless iPhone drone.

I think the fact that Apple products are now very much conformist and no longer unique makes the comparison to Microsoft very poignant.

renewed

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2009
Bemalte Blumen duften nicht.
Seems to be working for them. Technology is constantly changing and Apple is setting the standards. People seem to be following suit as well. Look at the sales of iPhones and iPads as well as the amount of apps. There will always be people who don't accept the new tech but it doesn't mean that Apple is doing something wrong.

That's the beauty though. If you don't like it you can leave it. Maybe the reasons that you were at one time an Apple user are changing but you don't have to stay with Apple. Follow the tech that you feel comfortable with.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I hate that everyone has a Mac computer at university now. I used to like the exclusivity, and I think when I am done with my MBP I'll get a comparable Windows PC, just so I'm not like everyone else. I'm thinking the same way with the iPhone as well, I've ordered myself a Torch 9860 to fart around with until the iPhone 5 comes out and I quite like not being another faceless iPhone drone.

I think the fact that Apple products are now very much conformist and no longer unique makes the comparison to Microsoft very poignant.

I buy what I like and what works for me without looking at those around me to see what they are using

I really couldn't care less what others are using

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
I buy what I like and what works for me without looking at those around me to see what they are using

I really couldn't care less what others are using

I understand, I also buy what I like. I just like not absolutely disappearing into the conformist crowd on campus like everyone with a Mac/iPhone does.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

First before going on to saying any thing , I find apple is abandoning Mac users in fevor of people using the iPhone ,iPad and the iPod the general public that do not have a Mac computers.I also feel Apple is becoming more like Bill Gates now ''this is the way we do it'' like it or leave it.

That is what Apple has been like for over 10 years now. In fact, can you bring up an example of when Apple didn't have the "this is the way we do it" mentality? I can't.

Don't know what you mean about Apple becoming like Bill Gates, he's actually a pretty decent guy. Could you elaborate?

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
This is what I fear

Welmone to Mac world 2010
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2147/2541387300_fbf5c1ef10_b.jpg

Welcome to Mac world of 2012
http://www.flickr.com/photos/theaceconvict/5731681794/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Seems to be working for them. Technology is constantly changing and Apple is setting the standards. People seem to be following suit as well. Look at the sales of iPhones and iPads as well as the amount of apps. There will always be people who don't accept the new tech but it doesn't mean that Apple is doing something wrong.

I don't have problem with the iPhone and iPad I do have a problem if Apple and Microsoft think this is the future for desktops or laptop computers.It is too awkward to use a touch screen interface for playing games alot, graphics, animation , video editing , multimedia and spending alot time using the computer or using Microsoft Office.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
That is what Apple has been like for over 10 years now. In fact, can you bring up an example of when Apple didn't have the "this is the way we do it" mentality? I can't.

I'm still getting my thoughts together on hard to reply so people can understand my writting .

I will reply soon.

But one thing that going to get people really mad about Apple is the fan base of the white Macbook.

Yet so much range that Apple had to bring out a white iPad and white iPhone.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lespetitsbouts/5990043211/

This was like a slap in the face .It like saying I know there is fan base for the white iPad and white iPhone here you go buy it at are Apple store!!! but sorry to the fan base of the white Macbook we do not make it any more.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I'm still getting my thoughts together on hard to reply so people can understand my writting .

I will reply soon.

But one thing that going to get people really mad about Apple is the fan base of the white Macbook.

Yet so much range that Apple had to bring out a white iPad and white iPhone.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lespetitsbouts/5990043211/

This was like a slap in the face .It like saying I know there is fan base for the white iPad and white iPhone here you go buy it at are Apple store!!! but sorry to the fan base of the white Macbook we do not make it any more.

I think you're really overreacting. I mean, who cares what colour your computer is, get a skin for it if you want it white. Hell, I'm sure you can get it painted white if you really want to. Apple is a corporation, they are only there to make a profit. They don't care what individuals want, only what will sell and turn the highest profit.

All these computers and phones and tablets are tools. They are there to help you do things, not to make you look cool.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
When did Microsoft ever abandon Windows users?

When did Bill Gates ever say "this is the way we do it like it or leave it" (or similar)?

The fact that they never have done that is a major weakness in the Windows platform. Their drives to ensure backwards compatibility is a major problem for them. They should have ditched stuff like the registry years ago, but have retained it due to backwards compatibility.

nec207

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011

Don't know what you mean about Apple becoming like Bill Gates, he's actually a pretty decent guy. Could you elaborate?

I guess I should have worded it better Apple and Microsoft is in the business of making money .If you want a OS will you have more control than it is Linux.Both Apple and Microsoft are a closed and lockdown OS where Linux is open .

Yes Apple and Microsoft give some limited control where one can move files around on the desktop ,change wallpaper ,screensaver ,icons or themes.I can have dock on the right or left or at the bottom.I can have the dock disappear when my mouse cursor is away from it.

Yes Microsoft gives limited control over thems ,sound effects or how folders display or show content.My point is Apple and Microsoft give what is called limited control .You want to control how OS looks and feels you need Linux or you need hack skin tools for windows or OS X but even than it may not work do to the lockdown OS.

The thing is I'm not saying Apple and Microsoft have to give people so much control like Linux :eek: but they should give more control or option where we choose the way OS look and feel.Many people hate OS X do to thems ,sound effects ,icon or mouse cursor thems or skins.

Other think is lack of control or options with the scrollbar ,full screan,Exposé ,Mission Control ,Dashboard so on.You cannot turn it on or off or change the way you want it.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Not to be the stereotypical *******, but Apple never cared about the customer, nor will they ever. They're a business... they cater to one thing: money. Don't make them out to be some evangelical saint that does what they do for the greater good-- like all companies they're only out for themselves. Thus is the way of the world.

Apple has always had the same design policy: this is how we do it, we tend to be cutting edge in usability, and in doing so, we always neglect consumer's current wants and needs. Steve himself has said multiple times that it's not about what consumers want now, it's about making something that's better (and different) but gives them what they actually need. Thus is the way that is has always been-- any advancements (iOS, etc) haven't been in the name of the consumer, but in the name of money. If you precede your competition in advancing technology via large changes in usability and functions while ignoring their short sighted wants, you gain sales. Apple has clearly proven that. Decent customer support, environment integration, retail stores, etc only advance that point-- by building an image you build a brand by which you gain sales through differentiation and halo effect. The "think different" mantra wasn't to cater to the consumer, it was to differentiate themselves from the competition in the name of money.

It's not about the consumer. It's about making the maximum profit through providing the "best" product around that's ahead of the pack in non-conventional performance and usability. Actual consumer's opinions don't matter, so long as people keep purchasing said products. As such you'll never get all the control you want (except through 3rd party solutions), and many desired hardware advances (blu-ray, etc) will never come to fruition.

JackHobbs

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2009
London
I hate that everyone has a Mac computer at university now. I used to like the exclusivity, and I think when I am done with my MBP I'll get a comparable Windows PC, just so I'm not like everyone else.

:confused: Surely you buy a mac, or a windows pc, for it's function? Good design, good customer service etc. are part of that function. I suppose that not following the crowd may be nice on occasion but I'm not sure that I would base a very expensive buying decision on not doing the same as everyone else. If you want to be different buy some dodgy clothes or grow a handlebar moustache. Then buy the laptop that does what you need, mac or windows. If the mac is too popular, disguise it with some sort of skin or cover.

FroColin

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008

This is one of the most absurd things I have ever read. You are going to not be a conformist? Do you acknowledge that you are doing this only because you care what other people think (just like everyone else)? If your end goal is non conformity then you are delusional. The idea of non conformity generally steams from wanting to not care what other people think, but making your buying decisions based on what other people are doing (whether your doing what they do or not) is making a decision based on what other people think which is the same as everyone else. Normalcy is an average, say it's 0 so many people go to ten or -10 because they don't want to be normal that, while the average is still 0, everyone is either 10 or -10. The thing to do, to be the most different would be to be normal (not saying that's always the case but it's an example).

As for the argument about Apple being like Microsoft. What I don't like about Microsoft is that I don't like their products. I like Apples products even though I think they are killing off the mac, not listening to customers and ruining Final Cut. I'm very annoyed at Apple right now but they are a company and I can't really fault them for making good business decisions. While I don't care about the iPhone THAT much I still like it. I don't like the PRODUCTS that Microsoft makes, I do like the PRODUCTS that Apple makes. Getting hung up on Apples attitude or whatever else seems a bit silly. Does Apple make products that work and that you want? Yes, so they aren't like Microsoft. Just my opinion.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
The only thing Apple does is give out crappy iPhone 4s. I've had so many problems, they gave me a 100$ gift card plus my own choice of a case for free. My newest phone has backlight bleed though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.