I fired off a letter to Apple about their iPhone 4 Response

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ntrigue, Jul 4, 2010.

1. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

In your letter, "Regarding iPhone 4," you conveniently overlook the firmware update to the iPhone 3G that implemented Apple's own proprietary formula for calculating bars of reception. Instead, you "...were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength."

I vividly remember the nightmare with the first three firmware releases of 2.0. One aforementioned release magically increased service in my home from 2-3 bars to five bars on AT&T's very same network. I say magically because it occurred in the time it took to upgrade my 3G to 2.1. I can tell you that my home was actually seeing between a -93 and -85 dB.

Unfortunately, the ability to input *3001#12345* has been removed in iOS 4. A solution exists courtesy of the AppStore, Speedtest.net allows the iPhone 4 owner to quantify the cellular attenuation they experience. I've attached three results (each performed three times and the high and low results were dismissed). In "Antenna Results.pdf" the first was recorded laying iPhone 4 on the desk. The second, touching a single finger to the left gap on iPhone 4. The third, gripping iPhone 4 naturally with my left hand.

I apologize for the verbose response; the results speak for themselves. Having waited faithfully in line for every iteration of iPhone since 2007 (nine hours this launch) it's not without anxiety and regret that I return iPhone 4. The iOS experience is unparalleled in the industry, but I require a phone that excels at making calls (any way it's held) and a company that will offer more than a band-aid as assurance.

Sincerely,

[REDACTED]

Sent from my iPad

Update:

Occurs with a key
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvH-i7rKPJc

Also with a tiny piece of a paperclip
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgouzUMlQpY

Attached Files:

2. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

4. Espo macrumors 6502

I know we all must for our moment to utilize the Amendment for Freedom of Speech... but what do you think the letter will do?

5. Munitalp macrumors 65816

This has been covered many times already, but I'm glad you got that off your chest :)

6. Maaz macrumors 6502a

Grow up. There are much more important things to worry about than a cellphone. You people act like it's the end of the world.

7. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Or you could have put a case on it and still had you would still have an iPhone with the iOS experience that you seemed to like and a totally working awesome phone.

It should be in a case to prevent damage to it because it is glass. The fact that it also cures the antenna issue is a pleasant by product.

8. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Why isn't anyone paying attention? Apple explicitly skewed the way bars are displayed to pacify unhappy AT&T customers. Now, that has come back to bite them.

Are we just 'stuck' with Bumpers or moving to another phone until 2011 or do we 'deal' with a hardware defect?

9. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

You were just typing it wrong. :D:D:D:D

10. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

Pretty much.

11. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Hey, put a big ugly thick case on it and wear a pair rubber gloves when you use it. Now shut the f... up!

Steve

12. ntrigue thread starter macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I am not educated well enough in cellular communication to produce actual numbers, but I believe that the bars we see are inaccurately rendered.

I first noticed this with the 2.1 release on iPhone 3G. After this update my iPhone scarcely ever showed 2-4 bars.

I can't tell you how many times my 3G/3GS showed 5 bars but the number was -97, poor signal. My data tests confirmed with 230 download and 12 upload.

Apple is tampering with what the user sees and embellishing the results and they plan to go further with 4.0.1 tomorrow.

13. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

4.0.1 tomorrow?

14. MozMan68 macrumors 68020

MozMan68

My wife's iPhone 4 is faster than my 3G in every way possible...can't wait until mine shows up.

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Fixed.. :whistle:

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

It sure has come back to bite them! You sent them a nasty letter; that'll learn 'em. They'll re-sell your returned one in a heartbeat, someone will buy it and a bumper and the sun will still come up tomorrow.

17. dagomike macrumors 65816

I think after the update hits, if it doesn't remedy the problem as anticipated everyone should contact Apple corporate. Let them know the fix didn't work and explain how the iPhone 4 fails where other phones don't. Then simply ask if there is something wrong with your device or if this is it.

If Apple comes out and says this is it, then it's case closed. Make the choice to live with it or return it. It's really on Apple to either fix these phones or swallow hard and admit that in many situations the device isn't as good as previous iPhones.

18. jkrutch macrumors regular

We're all paying attention. Hate to burst your bubble, but no one really cares. My phone works perfectly. I have no issues that are any worse than any other previous phone. In fact, I absolutely love my new iPhone. If I didn't, I would return it and be done. The small number of people who are freaking over this are immaterial in the big picture. Your well-written and sincere letter will likely never be read.

The whack jobs looking to sue Apple are clueless. What the hell are they suing for? Where has anyone been hurt or damaged? Apple has agreed to provide refunds for those who are not happy. 5 years from now, when this is finally litigated, what does anyone hope to gain? We'll be on IP 8 by then.

This is a mobile phone people...get a grip.

19. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I love the iphone 4 even with the signal strength issues. What I don't like is having to use a case to fix it. I love the size of the new phone and have always gone naked. I have tried the griffin reveal and love the look of the case. It is one on the thinnest but anything with a rubber side makes it very hard to get in and out of my front pocket because the rubber sticks and does not slide out easily. I have resorted back to a naked phone and will just like with it for now.

20. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

What I like in this thread is that finally they are together: he-man and robocop, wow!
    And it has ti have a nice looking bunny!

Aw... They are not real... OP: Now I know how you feel!

Anyway, today I had the best Pandora road trip ever, iPhone 4 with totally uninterrupted signal for the whole day!

21. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

It drops calls faster too? :D

22. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Saddest group of whiners I have ever seen. Geez! Thanks for filling a great site with your garbage!

23. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Providing feedback to Apple about the customer experience is important. Whether they take this issue seriously seems unlikely. The first official response from the CEO is very revealing. It not only "sets the tone" but gives us a good indication of Apples values. Well known as hypocritical and manipulative, I'm not expecting to see anything effective from them. They've dug their heels in, made a few statements and are not about to admit there's a problem. The fact that Apples in the process of hiring special antenna engineers is a good indicator that the next handset update in June 2011, will most likely not suffer the same fate.

24. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Congrats guys, you have perfectly working iPhones, so how about instead of coming into this thread and stating along with belittling the op, why don't you go out and enjoy your phone and post in any of the other threads where you may actually contribute something?