I found an ACTUAL hidden feature!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jun 30, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

In Messages.app:

While you're in a conversation, swipe to the left on the person's name in the navigation bar.

It will bring you back to the list view

2. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

When you press the button that says "Messages" ?

Lol.

3. joro macrumors 68020

joro

I’ve actually noticed as well in the messages app that if you type an e-mail address for a contact, it will pop up a little blue arrow next to the bubble and you can click it to go directly to the contact. Little things in OS 3.0 which are quite nice.

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I discovered something like this in Music/iPod back with the first gen iPod touch. You can move from the track-list view back to albums just by quickly swiping left to right.

5. taran420 macrumors 6502a

you must be joking because you certainly cant be that dumb. While you're swiping the name, you are hitting the message icon right beside it which will take you back to the list view..........

unless of course i completely got your new feature wrong

6. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Such a feature...:rolleyes:

7. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I tried this, and I'm pretty sure its because you're hitting the "messages" button at the end of the swipe. If I did it exclusively over the name, making sure my thumb or finger never touched the "messages" button, it never worked.

8. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes. Also, if you do a cartwheel and hit the home button, it brings you to your home screen. Not sure if you knew about that one yet.

9. Stiss macrumors 6502a

God your all so quick to flame.

Try swiping to the right, and i bet edit doesn't work like that. Go on try it from the name and swipe to edit.

So it is a hidden feature as such.

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Okay then... how come when you swipe right, it doesn't "hit" the edit button?

Also, I'm making sure I'm not rolling over the Message button... I just swipe left and that's it... the Messages button doesn't even highlight.

Still... I thought it was odd... also... it works in landscape mode too.

Edit: I just noticed it works on any back button (you know, the buttons that are pointed on one end)

So yeah, it must be registering the swipe as a tap.

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

No it's not. It's because your hitting the Messages button, it has nothing to do with a swipe. All buttons are pressed hwen you release your finger. Start on the button and swipe across and release after your finger is off the button, does it work now? No.

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I tried that and your right. :) Eh, at least I was nice about it. Good find, even though we could just press the button. :p

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, you're just hitting the Messages button. Try swiping on the person's name without touching the button (lift your finger off) and it won't work.

14. Pared macrumors 65816

Yeah quite the amazing revelation worthy of its own thread.

15. Stiss macrumors 6502a

Look at Unspoken's comment.

You might want to take back what you said.

Thanks for being nice about it Unspoken. I hate people who run there mouth and bash before actually testing something and thinking before they speak

16. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You're welcome I guess. Its always fun to find something no one else has found. You feel special. Spazz did technically find a hidden feature. Its not useful :p but its a feature. There's no need for everyone to be rude about it.

17. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

EVERYONE!
    SPAZZ IS RIGHT!

TRY THIS!

Swipe from the middle of the name to the bottom left hand corner of the screen. All the way. It still works. It has nothing to do with the "messages" button. This also works in landscape.

18. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm starting to think that this behavior was not intended by Apple. I wonder if it's just a bizarre bug... hmm.

19. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I find it really funny that 1) you think that this is such a big feature that you had to put ACTUAL in caps. 2)That this is not a new feature because I usedto do it with the iPod app in 2.0. And 3)That you felt that this deserved a whole new thread other than the one that is STUCK to the top of the forum....

Edit: oh AND that you didn't even care to say the famous "sorry if this has been said before" line that most people say when they think they have a new feature found....................

20. Merlinwiz macrumors member

Actually because of this thread I found a feature I didn't know before - when in a messages conversation, tap the clock at the top and it will go to the start of the conversation a la safari webpage.

Cheers OP :D

21. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I always wanted a way to do that quickly! Thank you! I had done it once when trying out Spazz's find but didn't know how I did it :confused: Thanks Merlin!

Oh and "da'great'," you really dont need to be so rude. I learned 2 things from this thread. Way to troll.

22. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

i thought you were crazy when I read this
    but this actually works
    good find, although its not the biggest feature ever

23. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

hahahahaha well I'm sorry that you don't know some basic things about your phone. And I wasnt trolling. I thought this thread was pretty funny! Haha:p

24. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Seeing as I just got the phone 10 days ago, yes, I am still learning new things. Sorry i'm not an Apple employee and don't know everything about the iPhone. I thought that's why I come to the iPhone forums on MacRumors. Unlike you, I come here for constructive posts and enjoyable conversation. Not to troll, like yourself. If you dont have anything credible or constructive to say, why are you here?

25. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

ok its a hidden feature

But its a realllllllly dumb feature