I Found An iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NotTheEnd, Aug 2, 2011.

1. NotTheEnd macrumors newbie

Firstly, this might be in the wrong place. For that i apologise
    Secondly, I know that the title sound too good to be true. (Read on to find out how i found it)

I was on the bus coming home from meeting up with friends and the person infront of me got off, He was (i think) samalian, but he didnt speak english or he wasn't on the bus anyway. As i was getting off many stops after he got off i saw it on the chair so i took it, i figured if i didn't someone else will. It's been 3 days since then and i've left it on with the SIM card in it and waited to see if anyone would ring it but no, I took the SIM card out to see what service he was on and it turns out the SIM card is actually cut down to fit into the phone. I am unable to call him/anyone since it does have a passcode on it i honestly tried the 0000 or the 1111 to see if those worked but nope. He didn't look like the type of guy who'd own an iPhone he looked very scruffy. So i figured its either stolen or found it himself or is like bought with drug money.

I DO plan on keeping it but is hard since it has the passcode on it, i've seen a lot of "found an iPhone" on this forum and a lot of people accuse them of stealing. I asure you i did not steal it. It may be hard to believe someone would simply lose it but it happens. Yes if i was in that situation i would be devastated but i know that i also wouldn't get it back, Lifes a b---- what can i say. So any trolls trying to say i stole go ahead. Not going to bother. since you one bumped my thread and two gave me something to lol at. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Matt-

2. n1k1t4 macrumors newbie

Google is your best friend here.

3. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

*waits for the "you're being a twat by not giving it in" people to show up*

4. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

^^^ I'm here!
    Did you see him drop it? If so, why wouldn't you have tried to tell him he dropped it? Because you didn't think he spoke English?
    I would have given it to the bus driver. Or the police. In any casse, Karma will get you.

5. ViviUO macrumors 6502

1.) He said he found it several stops after the guy got off the bus.

2.) What do you think the bus driver would do with it?

3.) Maybe hand it in to the police, sure. However, if I lost my phone, I would call it several times, which the OP said the original owner did not try to do.

4.) Not everyone believes in Karma.

6. NotTheEnd thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't see him drop it he was on the window seat and i was on the window seat behind him. Not sure to as how many seats away maybe like 3 or 4. And it didn't cross my mind to give it to the bus driver. And honestly if it did i probably wouldn't have either. Regardless of him speaking english or not if i saw him drop it i would have ran picked it up and tapped him on the shoulder and shoved it in his face.

7. kre62 macrumors 68000

Why dont you try creating a new user account on your computer, then syncing it with iTunes. In this case, go into the info tab and select Sync Contacts, with Outlook or other contacts program. Then you could pull the contacts off the phone and find one labeled "Home" or similar. Then you can find the owner.

You'll get a lot more satisfaction out of this then keeping it.

8. srxtr macrumors 6502a

Keep it with you with its sim card in it for another week, then keep it as your own.

9. Harpoon Spoon macrumors regular

First off, welcome to Mac Rumors! This is probably the wrong place to get advice about moral dilemmas, like your situation here. My advice would be to turn it in to your local cell phone retailer. I understand that you speculate that the person, that you acquired the phone from, may have stolen the device themselves but maybe, by returning it, the phone could trickle itself back to its rightful owner (not you).

My second piece of advice would be… don’t feed the trolls :D

10. NotTheEnd thread starter macrumors newbie

I have got iTunes, but i'll need a cable to connect my laptop and the iPhone but they are pretty cheap. But i've read that you need to know the passcode to get into iTunes if there is an alternate to do what you just said ill gladly do it once i buy the cable. And yes i do feel kind of bad, this could have been a present from his mother or daughter (if he has either).

srxtr - I think in the same way if since i find it dodgy that his SIM card was cut in half and not the the actual small one iPhones use.

Harpoon Spoon - Thank you, i honestly just joined because of this iPhone issue and i didnt think of turning it into a local phone shop, not sure what they would do but still worth a try.

11. ann713 macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 4's sim slot only accept micro-sims, so yes, the SIM card would have to be half sized.

12. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Pop in a simcard, hold the home button until voice control pops up, try "call mom", "call dad", "call home", "call wife", "call husband".

13. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Guys don't waste your time with this. The OP has no intentions of giving it back anyways

14. EddyP macrumors 6502

From what I understand, it's not uncommon to cut down the full size prepaid SIM cards in the to use in the iPhone 4. Lots in the UK I think.

Has anybody called the phone since you found it? I think you're kind of a jerk with your attitude about the guy probably stealing or using drug money get it. But whatever you need to do to justify keeping it. No matter what he looked like, you had to find one to get one. :) Just something to think about.

If nobody has called since you found it, I don't think people can give you a hard time for keeping it. I would expect people to put a little effort in finding the thing if they really cared about it.

15. whocaresit macrumors 6502a

What if the phone was used to commit a crime?
    You will be caught OP! :eek:

16. NotTheEnd, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

NotTheEnd thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello troll, What you say is possibly true, the thought of keeping it is good since i've honestly never had an iPhone/iPod before. But i also feel guilty owning it and my conscience would get to me.

boss.king - I don't think that would work since he was like samalian, and even if he spoke english i would imagine he'd have an accent.

EDIT
    EddyP - Well im just sayings its possible, very stereotypical of me and maybe even racist, but wasn't meant in that way, since he was samalian (black) and looked poor, No one has rang it yet and again i think good idea if no ones looking for it or its not blacklisted etc i get a free iPhone 4. But i'd still feel guilty. I also wouldnt ever be able to afford an iPhone 4, maybe in like 4 years when they are like £50 each

whocaresit - You might be right but i did find it not exactly i crime finding a phone

17. boss.king, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

Well it's not hard to try. iOS doesn't record your individual voice anyway, it's made to work for everyone.

EDIT: I just got Windows 7 to say "call home" and it recognised the voice.

18. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

He could report the phone as stolen and give police the serial number, and if you ever try to register the phone with Apple it will show up as stolen. Though I don't think that will happen if this guy hasn't even tried to call his phone to find it.

"So i figured its either stolen or found it himself or is like bought with drug money. "

Off topic, but I'm assuming you're white :rolleyes:

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

OP if you really want to give it back, take it to the Apple Store or carrier store on which the iPhone operates on.
    They'll be able to give you enough information to give it back.
    Oh, wait ...

20. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

If you arent going to give it back why post on macrumours? What help and advice do you need exactly? How to restore it so you can use it...? Why not just try and give it back to the rightful owner.

21. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

A quick Google search will tell you that keeping it is larceny, which is in fact a crime.

22. NotTheEnd thread starter macrumors newbie

boss.king - You are right but thats in the states it's been abolished in England, But i also know you didn't know where i was from, But i guess i learnt something new about law today :)

Ste1164 - I do want to give it back but i didn't know apple stores would do that since i've never been in one, im pretty sure google maps will tell me where the closest one is. So i shall do that as soon as possible. No i wouldn't want to restore it even if i did i could google that.

pezasied182 - Yes i am white, As i said it was stereotypical maybe even racist to say that although it wasn't meant in a racist way.

I'd like to thank everyone who put in helpful advice. I am going to follow Ste1164's advice of taking it to apple store. I asume some mod or someone can lock this thread or i'll just let it die. Again thank you

Matt-

23. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Enjoy your bad karma if you decide to keep it and NOT take it to apple or try to call his contacts.

24. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

+1 for this approach. And for taking it to apple.

25. pezasied182 macrumors 6502

I didn't have a problem with what you said, just read it and kinda thought it was funny. I knew you weren't trying to be racist.