Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
So i got my new retina macbook pro 15" today.

everything is great about it, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd and 2.7ghz i7 etc

but i see it came with an LG screen.

is the issue about ghosting still around or what should i do?

so far I havent noticed anything under normal usage

red321red321

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
So i got my new retina macbook pro 15" today.

everything is great about it, 16gb ram, 256gb ssd and 2.7ghz i7 etc

but i see it came with an LG screen.

is the issue about ghosting still around or what should i do?

so far I havent noticed anything under normal usage

have you checked for UI lag?

peeps are saying to resize App Store or launch mission control with many windows open

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Apparently if you received a SJA2 panel your chances are better than if you have an SJA1. SJA2 = keeper, SJA1 is your call. Personally I'd get AppleCare and call it a day either way, mainly because it's likely you'll be able to spot and replace a ghosted panel well within 3 years.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Apparently if you received a SJA2 panel your chances are better than if you have an SJA1. SJA2 = keeper, SJA1 is your call. Personally I'd get AppleCare and call it a day either way, mainly because it's likely you'll be able to spot and replace a ghosted panel well within 3 years.

so wait, i know theres samsung and lg panels.

the SJA1 and SJa2, are there types of lg panels now?

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
so wait, i know theres samsung and lg panels.

the SJA1 and SJa2, are there types of lg panels now?

Yes, the early 2013 version started receiving LG panels with a new model number ending in SJA2, viewable via the Terminal command.

I tried catching up with the main thread at ASC here, and it looks like there are maybe 1 or 2 instances of ghosting in the SJA2 panels, but nowhere near as bad as SJA1. That's not a guarantee of course but if I were shopping right now I'd like my chances with an SJA2 a whole lot more.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Yes, the early 2013 version started receiving LG panels with a new model number ending in SJA2, viewable via the Terminal command.

I tried catching up with the main thread at ASC here, and it looks like there are maybe 1 or 2 instances of ghosting in the SJA2 panels, but nowhere near as bad as SJA1. That's not a guarantee of course but if I were shopping right now I'd like my chances with an SJA2 a whole lot more.

oh ok, well i did the terminal thing and see its a SJA2. should i beach to apple or keep it? i mean, the colors are awesome, white is super white and texts are crisp.

my previous macbook was a high res anti glare from samsung, and comparing the colors , th retina hands down much better.

thanks for tellig about the 2 lg panel things i didnt know :)

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I'd keep that SJA2. A disclaimer, though. I've had a Sammy panel from the very beginning, so I never had an issue. Additionally even if I had an SJA1 panel I wouldn't obsessively run IR tests looking for problems, I'd just keep it, enjoy it and let my warranty handle any issues. That's just how I roll, though. You may feel differently. Good luck.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
The LG panel is better in all respects except for the potential for IR. My LG SA2 has been solid for over 3 months, a beautiful screen without flaws. I would say you should feel lucky to have managed to get a rMBP with an LG screen, especially if you do any graphics or video work.

Differences are subjective and minor unless you have an anal bias :).

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
The LG panel is better in all respects except for the potential for IR. My LG SA2 has been solid for over 3 months, a beautiful screen without flaws. I would say you should feel lucky to have managed to get a rMBP with an LG screen, especially if you do any graphics or video work.

form what you know/read, it sounds like your syaing the samsung screen looks a little bit different color wise?

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
form what you know/read, it sounds like your syaing the samsung screen looks a little bit different color wise?

Its been talked about here a lot, but I gather the samsung is yellow out of the box and perhaps off center viewing not as good... but thats based on what I read... and you know you can believe everything you read on the internet. I think folks have said they are pretty close after display calibration, but LGs seem to get the nod regardless. Every display is a bit different, however. And there are preferences for a bluer shade of white or yellow. There have been folks going through a dozen rMBPs just to find one they like.

Be happy with the display, if it eventually does not perform well, take it back for repair under warranty.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Its been talked about here a lot, but I gather the samsung is yellow out of the box and perhaps off center viewing not as good... but thats based on what I read... and you know you can believe everything you read on the internet. I think folks have said they are pretty close after display calibration, but LGs seem to get the nod regardless. Every display is a bit different, however. And there are preferences for a bluer shade of white or yellow. There have been folks going through a dozen rMBPs just to find one they like.

Be happy with the display, if it eventually does not perform well, take it back for repair under warranty.

Yeah! Im pretty content with the display. the white looks like, we super WHITE
I've ran into something weird though. Its making crackling sounds sometimes.

it sounds exactly like in this video!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7Nwp9SE74

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012

ghosting asside, i was comparing the lg and samsung panels to the replacement macbook ir ecieved due to an issue and the samsung which is suppose to be the best one to get, seems to have a slight yellow tint in the white then the lg.

this normal or what have u hearD?

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
South Melbourne, Australia
ghosting asside, i was comparing the lg and samsung panels to the replacement macbook ir ecieved due to an issue and the samsung which is suppose to be the best one to get, seems to have a slight yellow tint in the white then the lg.

this normal or what have u hearD?

in terms of colour, LG is better.
yeah, some people complained about yellow tint on samsungs but those can be calibrated.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
yeah, some people complained about yellow tint on samsungs but those can be calibrated.

should i keep the lg or keep the samsung? i still have both cmputers lol

the reason i got a second (the unexpected samsung scren) was the speakers or fan were making crackling noises rnadomly, it has since stoped for the past 4 days (the lg one)

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011
should i keep the lg or keep the samsung? i still have both cmputers lol

the reason i got a second (the unexpected samsung scren) was the speakers or fan were making crackling noises rnadomly, it has since stoped for the past 4 days (the lg one)

just calibrate the samsung and compare it with the lg screen side by side, then return the LG screen rMBP.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH

You can't calibrate the Samsung and make it accurate, but can get pretty close. Lg is a better display especially for off center (wide angle) viewing. Most users would not notice the difference, however.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Is there a problem with it? No? So what's your damage?

there wasnt a problem with the lg screen, just the speakers or fan, it was making a crackling noise, i made another thread about it after 3 horus i got the retina macbook. though the crackling has stoped the past fwe days.

so i got a replacement in the mail, i have to send back the lg, (or one of them)

the samsung screen white looks a tiny bit yellow, not like severe just a slight tint. no crackling from this one! but theres a scratch on the back plastic hinge.

which shoudl i send back?

You can't calibrate the Samsung and make it accurate, but can get pretty close. Lg is a better display especially for off center (wide angle) viewing. Most users would not notice the difference, however.

which should i send back?

devilcm3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2011

yeah, it wont.
but i think that a slightly worse color is a good trade off for a more reliable screen.
we still don't know when the LG panel will fail or ghost.

if you got a few mins, can you give me the steps to calibrate it?

if not its cool

well, you can google it....its not hard :)

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
You have two because the second is a replacement for the first, which has a busted speaker, correct?

If so....then send back the first one.

It feels like you are over-thinking this.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
You have two because the second is a replacement for the first, which has a busted speaker, correct?

If so....then send back the first one.

It feels like you are over-thinking this.

yeah its a 2 grand computer, im little stressed lolz

to make a long story short, i had a 2011 standard macboo pro, had many repairs, fnally could get it replaced. paid an extra 300 to upgrade to retina, and another to bump the ram and processor. so basically i spent 600 on it.

got the lg one. all good, but 3 hours after getting ti the speaker or something (fan?) were making crackling noises like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx7Nwp9SE74

though for some reason it has stoped and its been 4 days.

then i got the samsung one. i notice the screen is a bit different which i expected, and its suppose to be the best since ghosting and all that other bs isnt as associated with it, though i liked the lg a little better since it produced a NICE white.

and theres a small hairline scratch on the back black plastic hinge.

so..yeah im kinda stuck and i doubt apple will give me another for a third time since this doesnt fall under the general 14 return etx as this was a replacement

oh and i have to return one of them obviusly lolz

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.