I got scammed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dmusicman385, Nov 29, 2011.

1. dmusicman385 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I realize this is not the forum for this topic of being scammed on ebay, but it has to do with iPhone and a lot of you were talking about ebaying phones recently.

I went and won an iPhone 4 for $300 bux for my girlfriend. Anyhow, I paid right away and didn't hear back for over a week, then got a response to my emails that he had been away "for the weekend with his family" and would ship it two day immediately. Well, another week has passed. And nothing. I sent an email tonight that I would be filing a complaint with ebay at noon tomorrow if I did not receive the item or tracking number by then.

Anyhow, anyone know how to file the complaint. Well, not how to, but how the process is, how long it takes to get a refund, etc. I want this money back to bid on a real seller.

Thank you
    Joe

2. wild05kid05 macrumors newbie

I'm sure you will get the money back. Just get your call ebay, and ask for a rep and tell them your story. Emphasize that you don't need him to send you the phone anymore, you just need your money back

3. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

First take a deep breath.

You are protected. More so then the seller. Are you sure you tried atleast three times to contact them? I only ask because sometimes people freakout without realizing items get lost in the mail.

This being said you want to go into ebay and find the listing you won and you will see where you can file a complaint. After that they will take the money from the sellers account and hold it. It should take about a week if after that you still have not gotten your money call paypal directly.

4. dmusicman385 thread starter macrumors regular

excellent thank you. I contacted well over 3 times, requesting tracking numbers and if it was shipped. like I said only got one response, and it was a week ago that he had not and would ship it 2 day immediately. I will be doing this tomorrow. Thanks guys.

5. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

That really sucks, but there are some things you can do. I had a transaction similar to this but it went through okay, I was the seller. Buyer paid right away through PayPal then I shipped and entered tracking number. Paypal puts the funds on hold for 21 days or releases it if you put a valid tracking number for the item and they confirm delivery. I can attest to this process, it was pretty fast and easy.

So, again, you should try PayPal (if you paid through them) since they more than likely have the funds on hold, unless of course its been over 21 days.

6. heyloo macrumors 6502

Yeah you'll get your money back. Just do what others have suggested - eBay protects buyers more than sellers, so I think you're covered. No worries :)

7. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Your very welcome, part of my business is selling on eBay. I help whenever I can help fight dishonest sellers. It makes life for honest sellers a nightmare. I know so many peoples lives turned upside down from dishonest buyers because of all the fraud that happened in the begining of eBay.

99% of the time eBay goes without a hitch but sometimes you have to file a case. If you need anymore help you can PM later.

8. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

PayPal won't release the funds to the seller until you receive the phone and provide positive feedback. I wouldnt worry, you'll get your money back.

9. plumosa macrumors regular

plumosa

Since when?

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

11. monkeylui macrumors 6502

I would buy the phone from a reputable source, like apple.

12. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Wrong. They get them immediately.

13. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Why isn't this guy banned yet? All he does is troll.

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

Don't tell people to call 911 that is for Emergency's! if TS needs the police he should call his local city's front desk non emergency number. I have filed a few claims and ebay defiantly favors the buyer. when you file the claim it tells you how long the seller has to respond.

15. Dextor143 macrumors 6502

they don't .... They receive the funds once the goods are received, tracking numbers are placed and positive feedback is given.

16. solius macrumors regular

Dude I sell on ebay. I always get the money right away. I've never had to wait 21 days.

17. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Only if you have certain amount of positive feedbacks. Don't assume it's the same for everyone.

18. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

why do people still buy expensive items on ebay? ebay is full of scammers. I don't trust ebay anymore because I've sold stuff there before and people have tried to scam me.

19. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

not to worry your protected. if you had sold the phone and the buyer screwed you forget about it. your screwed. ebay and paypal are so one way.

20. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I agree. The most expensive thing I buy from ebay is iPhone screen protectors and the occasional item not exceeding say $10.

I do feel the seller is more protected. I think at worst case (most of the time) paypal may end up taking a loss, but the buyer gets their money back.

To OP though file a dispute and you should be good.

21. LinuxHack3r macrumors newbie

Because in many cases Ebay is cheaper than even Amazon, for a product NIB with comparable shipping. Add in that I get Ebay bucks for pretty much everything I buy on there, and that is an added bonus.

I have bought and sold over 150 things on Ebay, many of them being $300+ items, and I have NEVER had ONE issue, other than that one time I never got my $20 iGo charge kit, but in that case the seller immeditately refunded me upon my questioning. Best guess, the postal worker liked it more than I would have.

If done correctly and intelligently, there is nothing to fear about Ebay. I use it with practically 99.98% confidence.

Which naturally means my next transaction will result in identity theft/massive losses and product rip-offs.

22. realized macrumors newbie

for a NEW ebay seller, ebay/paypal will in fact HOLD FUNDS till the buyer gives a good rating.. there are ways around this (buyer calling paypal and bitching) but its not that easy.

If its not a new ebay seller, then they should have lots of reviews and hopefully you checked them and in that case, you should be fine

REGARDLESS - dispute the transaction - worse comes to worse you get your phone and then tell paypal/ebay that its resolved.

If you dispute the transaction paypal will HOLD money (assuming its still in the account) till its resolved.

HOWEVER: if the seller has done a lot of business with paypal then there is NO HOLD and he could have cashed out the money already and changed his account to a 0 balance. IN that case , your SOL

23. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

well also I hate that I had good feedback and paypal would just keep holding my money until I shipped it and then even when they received it they would not release my money and I always had to call them to release it. And I hate that you can't leave negative feedback to buyers and you have to take a look if the seller has been selling a bunch of stuff that are cheap to gain a lot of feedback and then when they have lots of feedback thats when they try to scam, also with buyers who buy small stuff to gain lots of feedback then they try to scam.

24. b24pgg macrumors 65816

There's been some good advice so far on how to handle the situation so I won't go into that.

eBay can be a great place for business as long as you're smart about it and follow some fairly obvious, intuitive rules, such as:
    1.) only buy from sellers with ~99%+ positive feedback
    2.) only buy from sellers who have at least 10 feedback (and preferably much more)
    3.) if you sell a high price item, make sure you follow the instructions so you qualify for eBay Seller Protection

25. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Most sellers do not get their money immediately. It can take weeks. It takes a certain feedback score to get it right away.

Also the chance that this fool has done a lot of business with eBay is pretty small because of his business "tactics". It shouldn't be to hard to get a refund.