I guess the iPad will have its arse kicked

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jns2001, Jan 7, 2011.

1. jns2001, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

jns2001 macrumors regular

Have you guys seem the specs of the new Motorola Xoom, and it is open...

Not trying to be a troll, I do have an iPad 3G 64.

I meant kicked.

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

First, the Xoom isn't ready. The OS is far from ready and we don't know anything about it apart from the teaser video.
    We also don't know what the iPad 2 will bring, so I would suggest we wait before we make such judgements.

3. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

The fact that you 'have' an iPad didn't taught you that specs are meaningless?

4. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Honeycomb > iPad

If Apple doesn't release something very impressive with iOS5, they are going to be irrelevant in the tablet market.

Needs:

- Widgets
    - Revised notification system
    - Better multi tasking
    - Better access to hardware for software makers

I *was* planning on buying an iPad 2 next, but as of right now I'm leaning towards Google. They just bitch slapped Apple with Honeycomb.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Sure, just like the iPad was gonna be a colossal failure, said the h8trs last year. How many iterations of supposed iPod and iPhone killers have been left rotting in the roadway gutters?

And Motorola is hardly the beacon of innovation. What "hot" product have they had in the last decade beside the RAZR? And they couldn't even capitalize on that other than putting the guts in different skins. Color me unimpressed and doubtful.

6. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Android officially is more popular than iPhone now, and that trend is continuing.

Honeycomb has shown to be a significantly improved OS over iPad's iOS 4.2. Just as Froyo and Gingerbread are well ahead of iPhone's iOS 4.2.

If you think the iPad is going to be the king of tablets for long, you'd be mistaken.

That is, unless Apple finally decides to change some base functions of their mobile OS.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I don't disagree, but there's more to it than simply specs (as any Mac user knows).

For example, were I to buy a tablet this year, which one should I get? There's about to be a dizzying array of other choices. The Xoom? The Playbook? How about the tablet made by Samsung? By Asus? Viewsonic? Sharp? HP? Just browse Engadget.com and look at how many tablets are being announced this year. Now try sifting through all the reviews, comparing all the specs, looking at which tablet supports what apps, which one has all the features you want, playing the "Ooh, the ABC has everything I need except ___, the XYZ has that feature but it's missing the ___"... game.

I'm all for having choice, but making the "right" choice is about to get pretty difficult.

8. Carouser macrumors 65816

Yeah, no kidding. In the MP3 player market, there's the iPod, and then there's 'everything else'. In the tablet market, there's the iPad, and then there's 'everything else' (*crickets*).

lmao

Yeah, all the people I know who got an iPad for Christmas are really looking for a device that also has these things. If Apple doesn't make a 'revised notification system' they will totally implode. :rolleyes:

'Significantly improved OS over iPad's iOS 4.2' as measured by criteria relevant only to tech nerds. You might as well tell someone to start using Linux since it's 'so much better' than Windows or OSX. You are out to lunch if you think these things matter to people who want an iPad. Nobody cares about whatever tablet is out there except a minority of gadget obsessives.

The consumer choice is not 'which tablet should I buy?', it's 'should I buy an iPad or not?'

9. monaarts macrumors 65816

You are mistaken…. Apple's iOS is still more popular than android. If you really think about it, Android SHOULD be more popular because you can purchase 200 different phones and several tablets that have android installed on it, but again android is NOT more popular.

A major reason the iPad will remain "king of tablets" for a long time is because they did it rights. While all of these other companies are worried about processor speed, the amount of memory, etc, Apple is worried about the users experience. And if you look at most people using a tablet you will find that they aren't the type of people worried about getting a dual core processor, because they don't know what it even is.

You keep telling yourself what you want to, but iOS is just getting started. With AirPlay just starting and the Apple TV becoming an accessory to iOS devices, the sales of iOS will boom once everything, such as an Apple TV app store, is running.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

This is the same old mistake where people compare a soon to be released product with one that been out 10 months--of course the new one will be better. Honeycomb and the accompanying hardware is a direct response to the iPad.

Let's wait to compare the iPad 2 with whatever new tablet comes out with Honeycomb hardware. I'm guessing Apple will need to tweak iOS when the iPad is updated.

11. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

More power is always nice. But for the average user of these things...

Attached Files:

12. monaarts macrumors 65816

I meant to add a source in my previous post, but forgot.

http://iwantadroid.com/2011/01/apple-vs-android-vs-blackberry-apple-ios-leads-on-market-share/

Maybe when you make a claim like "Android officially is more popular than iPhone now, and that trend is continuing." you will add a source to show your right, but you aren't. ;-)

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Count me as "mistaken" then. No single Android phone has iPhone-like sales and I doubt any Android tablet is going have iPad-esque sales numbers anytime soon. As long as Apple doesn't rest on it's laurels I like the iPad's chances.

14. 0815 macrumors 68000

Better close it again before some dirt falls in. How can they sell a device that is not closed correct? Should be covered by the warranty. :rolleyes:

15. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

*Right now* you are absolutely correct.

In three years? Who knows?

Apple has been a bit lazy with OS upgrades, imo, and the gap is widening between them and other mobile OS manufacturers.

I'm not sitting here saying "OMG Motorola Xoom will outsell iPad and Apple will be out of business!", instead I'm saying that... Honeycomb is Google's *first* foray into the tablet market, officially, and it's damned impressive right off the bat. Apple should be careful with their response to that.

16. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

The greatest asset of the iPad (in my opinion) is not whatever technical features it may or may not have versus it's rivals - it's the App Store. I think all tablets will succeed or fail based on the range, quality and ease-of-use of their applications. At the moment I think Apple is miles ahead of the competition and I cannot really see this changing.

17. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Single device numbers are irrelevant, that's like comparing apples (heh) and oranges, imo.

If Google produced an OS *AND* the hardware, then I would see the point. I am comparing mobile OS's, not specific pieces of hardware.

18. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

This is very true. But just like Android on phones, Android on tablets will have an app store that will catch up in functionality/use.

19. 0815 macrumors 68000

- AppStore
    - ease of use
    - how natural everything feels

It might be function/feature wise total unimportant: but just scroll a webpage on iOS and than on Android: iOS - total natural cool looking scrolling Android - scrolls 100% with the fingers, but feels choppy and unnatural compared to iOS

Features are not everything. I don't need 100 different ports on the mobile device. Yes, geeks might need that, but I don't care.

20. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What's impressive about it?

Relevant to what?

When?

21. 0815 macrumors 68000

No - it will not have an app store - it will have MANY app stores.

And I don't consider this a good thing. If you look for a certain application, as a user you have to check a dozen different stores to see what is available for what price - the prices for the same app might not even be the same on every store. Than they might have different payment systems, whom do you trust?

I'm sure that at some point the will be apps that function like e.g. nextag to search all the stores at once and give you a comparison with price, app rating, store rating, .... etc but honestly: does not sound attractive to me and probably not to the none technical users. I like the one-stop-shop with trusted payment system and review system.

22. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Are you sure:

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1935471/android-overtakes-iphone

Given other reports quoting numbers such as Android growing by over 800% in the last year, I'd say Android is more like an unstoppable steam train that's going to blast past Apple.

Apple are probably not bothered as they know full well this is going to happen and there is nothing they can do about it. Well there is, but they won't.

I think the iPad is a great product, and it will be a shame if the same happens to this with Android tablets blasting past the iPad in the next few years.

There is only 1 company that can stop this happening, question is, will they, or will they happily just make what they want to make replying on loyal brand customers rather than competing.

If only my crystal ball was working. How I would love to see what the market looked like at 2020.

Whether Apple was the king at the top of the pile, or everyone was looking back at how they waisted their lead and missed the opportunity as they were far too sure of themselves.

We'll see :)

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Do you like the fact that if you download an App from the Android store and find you don't like it, you can get a refund, but with Apple's marketplace you have just wasted your money.

24. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

Huh the droid series of phones, which beat the hell out of the iPhone.

25. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Multitasking abilities, continued evolution of widgets, the way apps can interact with the OS, etc...

As far as when, it will be just like Android on phones, it will take a couple years to mature the Market, but unlike the phones, the OS already looks really mature.