Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Im so mad, Ive had my macbook pro for about 4 months and love it but iPhoto has to be one of the most non user friendly programs I have ever used!!!!! I like having my photos in my finder..I dont want to open up a stupid program to get at my photos ... its so daunting to transfer these photos to my finder where they can be easily accessible where I can look through them and transfer them to other folders to organize.

Any easier way to do this? I recently lost a lot of weight and have pictures all over the place and just want to put it in a separate folder...but it looks like I have to go through all of these photos and transfer them to my desktop just to get them to finder..am I correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam1959

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I don't get your frustration. To look at pictures, use QuickLook. Just click the picture you want to view, then press the space bar and viola!

Did you read what I wrote? Not to be rude but I dont have an issue viewing them just transferring them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam1959

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Did you read what I wrote? Not to be rude but I dont have an issue viewing them just transferring them!

Based on your other, previous posts and threads I am left with the assumption that you get frustrated and flustered easily and any hope of logical, critical thinking goes out the window.

In iPhoto, click a picture, then go up and click on File -> Reveal in Finder and choose the option that best suits you. Finder is not a place on your computer, it is an app...just like iPhoto...and you need to understand how they work and interact.

Also, if you don't like iPhoto...then don't use it.

Also, you can open Finder, go into your Pictures folder, right-click on "iPhoto Library", click "Show package contents", go into Masters...and presto...there are all your pictures, organized by date, ready for you to transfer to wherever you want.

Do yourself a favor and take some more deep breaths, relax, and calm down.

Feel better now? Good.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Based on your other, previous posts and threads I am left with the assumption that you get frustrated and flustered easily and any hope of logical, critical thinking goes out the window.

In iPhoto, click a picture, then go up and click on File -> Reveal in Finder and choose the option that best suits you. Finder is not a place on your computer, it is an app...just like iPhoto...and you need to understand how they work and interact.

Also, if you don't like iPhoto...then don't use it.

Also, you can open Finder, go into your Pictures folder, right-click on "iPhoto Library", click "Show package contents", go into Masters...and presto...there are all your pictures, organized by date, ready for you to transfer to wherever you want.

Do yourself a favor and take some more deep breaths, relax, and calm down.

Feel better now? Good.

There are many people who think iPhoto is rubbish! I have to use it because all my photos automatically went there when I initially got the macbook! It's just frustrating when something that was so easy on PC is so difficult on the acclaimed simple macbook.

And no I don't want to go back to PC but Apple products aren't always logical and the only people that will disagree with this statement are defensive apple fans! I'm an apple fan but know realistically when a product lacks something!

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
There are many people who think iPhoto is rubbish! I have to use it because all my photos automatically went there when I initially got the macbook! It's just frustrating when something that was so easy on PC is so difficult on the acclaimed simple macbook.

And no I don't want to go back to PC but Apple products aren't always logical and the only people that will disagree with this statement are defensive apple fans! I'm an apple fan but know realistically when a product lacks something!

Its not that hard. The world is not going toward folder computing anymore, instead relying on apps to get things done. The old standby of folders and a desktop and a filing cabinet is slowly going away.

As pointed out though, you have lots of options. You could also use Google to organize your photos. Picasa and Google plus.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Its not that hard. The world is not going toward folder computing anymore, instead relying on apps to get things done. The old standby of folders and a desktop and a filing cabinet is slowly going away.

As pointed out though, you have lots of options. You could also use Google to organize your photos. Picasa and Google plus.

I guess I'm old school and would like my photos where I can easily access them! I also find iPhoto takes forever to load! Matter of opinion I just hate the way it's set up!

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Im so mad, Ive had my macbook pro for about 4 months and love it but iPhoto has to be one of the most non user friendly programs I have ever used!!!!! I like having my photos in my finder..I dont want to open up a stupid program to get at my photos ... its so daunting to transfer these photos to my finder where they can be easily accessible where I can look through them and transfer them to other folders to organize. UGHHHHHH!! Why Why Why Apple are you making my life difficult ARRRGHHHH!!

Any easier way to do this? I recently lost a lot of weight and have pictures all over the place and just want to put it in a separate folder...but it looks like I have to go through all of these photos and transfer them to my desktop just to get them to finder..am I correct?

You are old school. So am I but I've adapted.

iPhoto is your photo organizing tool (stop thinking about it as a barrier) Use albums and tags to organize your photos within iPhoto to organize (via date, name/face, location, tags youv'e made, etc) your mess. You can share single photos, series of photos with anyone. Integration with other applications is easy. You need to watch a few tutorials to view iPhoto as more of a tool than a hindrance.

The drag and drop organizing into 1000 desktop folders/sub folders is so 1990's/PC. But I realize some people need that level of perceived control.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois

I never said iPhoto was great, I simply pointed out how to deal with your "problems" and you know what else? I don't even use iPhoto myself, I took the time (It literally took me less than one minute to open up iPhoto and figure out how to show a photo in Finder, I didn't know or even think about it until your post, which goes back to my assumption that you're easily frustrated and are unable to problem solve on your own). Your "problem" already had a solution had you taken a minute or two to try and figure it out. It wasn't hidden anywhere.

BTW, I use Adobe Lightroom to manage photos. I don't use Finder.

And no I don't want to go back to PC but Apple products aren't always logical and the only people that will disagree with this statement are defensive apple fans!

I don't know, File -> Reveal in Finder seems pretty logical to me... :rolleyes:

I'm not defending Apple, I'm defending common sense. Seriously, in the time it took you to create your initial post you could've figured this all out on your own had you made an honest, logical effort and then you might not even be quite so frustrated.

I'm an apple fan but know realistically when a product lacks something!

Yes, and I know when a person lacks something as well. Seriously, though, no offense to you. Everyone has different skills and ways of thinking and I'm not saying it's your fault that you couldn't figure it out...but when the solution is pretty dang obvious and someone would rather go off and rant on the Internet about it instead of actually trying to FIND the answer...well...I don't know what to say.

You said it yourself, you want what's in iPhoto to be "visible" in Finder and there is literally an option to do that very thing inside iPhoto, located right where it makes sense.

Might give this a shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wFX9Wn70eM

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
I never said iPhoto was great, I simply pointed out how to deal with your "problems" and you know what else? I don't even use iPhoto myself, I took the time (It literally took me less than one minute to open up iPhoto and figure out how to show a photo in Finder, I didn't know or even think about it until your post, which goes back to my assumption that you're easily frustrated and are unable to problem solve on your own). Your "problem" already had a solution had you taken a minute or two to try and figure it out. It wasn't hidden anywhere.

BTW, I use Adobe Lightroom to manage photos. I don't use Finder.

I don't know, File -> Reveal in Finder seems pretty logical to me... :rolleyes:

I'm not defending Apple, I'm defending common sense. Seriously, in the time it took you to create your initial post you could've figured this all out on your own had you made an honest, logical effort and then you might not even be quite so frustrated.

Yes, and I know when a person lacks something as well. Seriously, though, no offense to you. Everyone has different skills and ways of thinking and I'm not saying it's your fault that you couldn't figure it out...but when the solution is pretty dang obvious and someone would rather go off and rant on the Internet about it instead of actually trying to FIND the answer...well...I don't know what to say.

You said it yourself, you want what's in iPhoto to be "visible" in Finder and there is literally an option to do that very thing inside iPhoto, located right where it makes sense.

Might give this a shot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wFX9Wn70eM

Yes but your first paragraph here states you went into iPhoto to see how to view a photo! I KNOW how to view a photo! I didn't ask how to do that! I have researched how to transfer these files before! And the most relevant answer I found was to copy and paste to desktop! Many people think that iPhoto is cr*p! I just dont like your attitude tbh! And I tried out your logical solution to "show package contents" of iPhoto, and I have to click in to folder after folder just to get a photo! Take your ignorant comments and go troll someone else's thread! Have a great day!

Last edited:

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Personally I think you should think about this in a calmer fashion. Anyway, why can't you find and organize in iPhoto? It has the basic needs, just give it some time :)

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Personally I think you should think about this in a calmer fashion. Anyway, why can't you find and organize in iPhoto? It has the basic needs, just give it some time :)

I was getting frustrated, I researched this before..it was taking years to load, and it wouldnt transfer files. Actually it could be just a mixture of many things. Ever since I got this macbook weird things with the software have happened and Ive noticed little things, like how it feels like a task to resize windows all the time just to get to the one under it, how it freezes and wont let me log in when my comp goes to sleep, how the screen goes black for no reason at all sometimes, or how I had to get the keyboard replaced 1 month after use. I have surpassed the learning curve of using it coming right from a PC..its just little glitches I guess that seem to get on my nerves, so this post was probably just a build up of all these things! I dont have anymore apple care left so these glitches I have to figure out on my own, and they arent going to give me a new computer for glitches in the OSX. Ive never had these weird things happen with PC!

Like I said I love Apple products, and I wont go back to PC..its too late for that now..$1800 later! Its just annoying sometimes!

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
I was getting frustrated, I researched this before..it was taking years to load, and it wouldnt transfer files. Actually it could be just a mixture of many things. Ever since I got this macbook weird things with the software have happened and Ive noticed little things, like how it feels like a task to resize windows all the time just to get to the one under it, how it freezes and wont let me log in when my comp goes to sleep, how the screen goes black for no reason at all sometimes, or how I had to get the keyboard replaced 1 month after use. I have surpassed the learning curve of using it coming right from a PC..its just little glitches I guess that seem to get on my nerves, so this post was probably just a build up of all these things! I dont have anymore apple care left so these glitches I have to figure out on my own, and they arent going to give me a new computer for glitches in the OSX. Ive never had these weird things happen with PC!

Like I said I love Apple products, and I wont go back to PC..its too late for that now..$1800 later! Its just annoying sometimes!

iPhoto is an easy way to organize and view photos. Period. The fact that you have engaged in an argument with everyone who has responded to your post says much more about you than iPhoto.

I would be willing to give you $1300 for the machine you are so frustrated with, just to get you to go back to PC...

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
iPhoto is an easy way to organize and view photos. Period. The fact that you have engaged in an argument with everyone who has responded to your post says much more about you than iPhoto.

I would be willing to give you $1300 for the machine you are so frustrated with, just to get you to go back to PC...

LOL funny! And try like $1600. I was ranting, like many people do here..and when someone responds to me being sarcastic and rude, that is exactly the way I respond back!

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
You are old school. So am I but I've adapted.

The drag and drop organizing into 1000 desktop folders/sub folders is so 1990's/PC. But I realize some people need that level of perceived control.

Bingo - Its just a new way to think about your digital world. Change happens, might as well adapt. Just because its different doesn't make it bad.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Yes but your first paragraph here states you went into iPhoto to see how to view a photo! I KNOW how to view a photo! I didn't ask how to do that!

Since you're having difficulty with reading comprehension, you asked how to get to photos in Finder when they're in iPhoto. I told you EXACTLY how to get to the photos IN FINDER once you've located what you want IN IPHOTO. I never told you how to VIEW a photo...other than VIEW IT (get to it) IN FINDER WHICH IS WHAT YOU'RE RANTING ABOUT. Maybe caps will make it easier to understand?

If you're not going to even bother trying to understand what people are telling you then don't even bother posting. You'd rather rant and argue than listen and learn.

I have researched how to transfer these files before! And the most relevant answer I found was to copy and paste to desktop!

Why copy and paste, making yet another copy of the photos on your disk, when you can just as easily get to them in Finder...which is what you were complaining about NOT being able to do in the first place. Research? Sorry, no. There's no "research" necessary, the solution is an obvious and logical one that's easy to find without having to "research."

Many people think that iPhoto is cr*p!

Again with the "iPhoto is crap" rant. Did you read what I said about it? I don't use it either, but I'm not going to call it crap simply because I'm not willing to take a couple of minutes to learn how to do something. That is just ridiculous.

BTW, if you hate iPhoto so much then why don't you just...oh, I don't know...export or "copy and paste" all of your photos in iPhoto to a folder on your desktop, then delete them from iPhoto? Holy crap, another "logical" option that YOU ALREADY MENTIONED but you didn't think one step beyond that as a way to just completely rid yourself of this awful product called iPhoto.

I just dont like your attitude tbh!

Out of curiosity, how many cats do you have?

And I tried out your logical solution to "show package contents" of iPhoto, and I have to click in to folder after folder just to get a photo!

Did you happen to try my FIRST suggestion of "File -> Reveal in Finder" so that you DON'T have to go through all of that? Or are you just reading every 10th word and trying to piece together what you're being told?

Take your ignorant comments and go troll someone else's thread! Have a great day!

Ummmm...hate to break it to you, but I'm not the one that's being ignorant and trolling.

You have a great day, hope the raincloud stops following you around everywhere...eesh...

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Since you're having difficulty with reading comprehension, you asked how to get to photos in Finder when they're in iPhoto. I told you EXACTLY how to get to the photos IN FINDER once you've located what you want IN IPHOTO. I never told you how to VIEW a photo...other than VIEW IT (get to it) IN FINDER WHICH IS WHAT YOU'RE RANTING ABOUT. Maybe caps will make it easier to understand?

If you're not going to even bother trying to understand what people are telling you then don't even bother posting. You'd rather rant and argue than listen and learn.

Why copy and paste, making yet another copy of the photos on your disk, when you can just as easily get to them in Finder...which is what you were complaining about NOT being able to do in the first place. Research? Sorry, no. There's no "research" necessary, the solution is an obvious and logical one that's easy to find without having to "research."

Again with the "iPhoto is crap" rant. Did you read what I said about it? I don't use it either, but I'm not going to call it crap simply because I'm not willing to take a couple of minutes to learn how to do something. That is just ridiculous.

BTW, if you hate iPhoto so much then why don't you just...oh, I don't know...export or "copy and paste" all of your photos in iPhoto to a folder on your desktop, then delete them from iPhoto? Holy crap, another "logical" option that YOU ALREADY MENTIONED but you didn't think one step beyond that as a way to just completely rid yourself of this awful product called iPhoto.

Out of curiosity, how many cats do you have?

Did you happen to try my FIRST suggestion of "File -> Reveal in Finder" so that you DON'T have to go through all of that? Or are you just reading every 10th word and trying to piece together what you're being told?

Ummmm...hate to break it to you, but I'm not the one that's being ignorant and trolling.

You have a great day, hope the raincloud stops following you around everywhere...eesh...

Sorry I'm not reading all of that lol you obviously put way too much thought into that post and I merely don't have the time to read it!

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
Really the solution is simple. Click on your photo in iPhoto - go to file and reveal in finder. Manage to your hearts content from there.

- or get Adobe Lightroom
- or get Aperture
- or use Picasa/Google
- or use Flikr

Here's another option:

http://unboundformac.com

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
Really the solution is simple. Click on your photo in iPhoto - go to file and reveal in finder. Manage to your hearts content from there.

- or get Adobe Lightroom
- or get Aperture
- or use Picasa/Google
- or use Flikr

Here's another option:

http://unboundformac.com

I just wanted them all in one place in a folder somewhere that's all! Anyways I ended up just copying and pasting a long time ago! Now I will just go through all of them. Just thought maybe there was another way. Thanks for your post! :)

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Sorry I'm not reading all of that lol you obviously put way too much thought into that post and I merely don't have the time to read it!

I just wanted them all in one place in a folder somewhere that's all! Anyways I ended up just copying and pasting a long time ago! Now I will just go through all of them. Just thought maybe there was another way. Thanks for your post! :)

:rolleyes:

You have time to rant but not time to read, and finally thank someone for telling you the same thing that others have been telling you since you started this thread.

Wow...just...yeah...good luck, lady. Please, go back to Windows. :D

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
You don't have to use iPhoto. You can use Finder to navigate to your SD Card and copy them manually..

Or just use the Image Capture app (located in Applications folder) to import your pictures where ever you want.

I don't know why everyone is making a big deal about this. People use computers different ways. If someone wants to manage their photos manually, so be it. Maybe they work faster this way. As a new mac user, it can be kind of frustrating when the default app could be set iPhoto and not knowing how to change it.

Krissypantz2828

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2012
You don't have to use iPhoto. You can use Finder to navigate to your SD Card and copy them manually..

Or just use the Image Capture app (located in Applications folder) to import your pictures where ever you want.

I don't know why everyone is making a big deal about this. People use computers different ways. If someone wants to manage their photos manually, so be it. Maybe they work faster this way. As a new mac user, it can be kind of frustrating when the default app could be set iPhoto and not knowing how to change it.

I don't know! It would be nice if their were some sort of filter to hide pointless responses! But either way thanks for that info.. I will check it out :)

Last edited:

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Im so mad, Ive had my macbook pro for about 4 months and love it but iPhoto has to be one of the most non user friendly programs I have ever used!!!!! I like having my photos in my finder..I dont want to open up a stupid program to get at my photos ... its so daunting to transfer these photos to my finder where they can be easily accessible where I can look through them and transfer them to other folders to organize. UGHHHHHH!! Why Why Why Apple are you making my life difficult ARRRGHHHH!!

iPhoto and it's big brother, Aperture (which is similar to Lightroom) are ways to manage your photo Libraries. They are effectively a database of your Photos. They are designed by default to import your Photo's into its database. The reason is these apps let you edit your photos, tag them, rate them, create smart folders, slideshows and albums. When you edit a photo the app always keeps an original copy of your photo, so you can revert to it. When you create albums and slideshows, the application does not create an additional copy but a references the photo.

So as well as the original photo, there are edited copies linked to the original, sidecar info files for tagging and ratings, and in the case of Aperture it can also hold all your edit information in a sidecar files (linked to the original) to reduce the size of the database, rather than creating a whole new file.

In order to preserve the integrity of the database, Apple by default copies the photos into the database. This is prevent users from intentionally or accidentally moving the location of the photos, because if they did the database may get corrupted as the photo would not be in the location that the App thought it should be.

However it possible to have all your photos in external folders, rather than in the iPhoto database. If you go into iPhoto>Preferences from the menu and click on the Advanced tab, check off the importing - Import photos in iPhoto Library.

Advanced.png

However it is not recommended, unless you know what you are doing. If you (or someone in your family if you have kids ) accidentally moves or deletes a photo in the external folders you may corrupt your iPhoto Library.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.