i hate iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Vista, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Vista macrumors newbie

i cant extract media from my ipod to my PC... what kind of ******** is that?!?!? I have to go look for 3rd party software to do that rather than having a convenient "Extract from iPod" feature.

sometimes when i add an "MP4" file to itunes, it wont show up in the library or anywhere. nothing happens! it would be nice to have an error message telling me what the problem is but no theres no ****ing response.

im always having problems importing more than 1 file. ill do "add file to library" select 30 files and press ok. then wait, .... not apearing in the library. so i close itunes and reopen it try again, sometimes it works after i reopen it, sometimes it doesnt. so then i gotta go back and import them 1 by 1.

im not lying i have these issues all the time. my brother tells me similar problems. I wounder if iLife is bad.

im proly gunna look for a 3rd party itunes clone.

i am running "WINDOWS XP PRO, SP2"

2. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Well as nice as iTunes is, Apple still has troubles getting their software to run well on windows machines, maybe it's not an issue with iTunes, maybe it's your computer or your apparent lack of knowledge of the Application.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

4. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Can't you copy data from your iPod back to your PC if that PC is registered to the same iTunes account? I seem to recall that.

Regardless, it's part of a compromise with the RIAA. The RIAA considers you copying music to be piracy, and they don't want people to copy music to their friends, so Apple doesn't have a "copy to my PC" so that you can't take the iPod to a friend's house and copy it.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the MP4 thing.

6. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I never understand how someone can have so many problems with a piece of software. Maybe one issue here and there, but to continually have many problems, it definitely sounds like user error.

As far as copying music back from the iPod, you can do it very easily in Windows (if you have a Nano, Classic, video, etc accept iPhone and touch) by turning on disc use and showing hidden files. Problem solved.

The reason iTunes does not allow it is so that you do not simply copy files off of other peoples iPods with a feature they offer. If you get around it on your own than that is your own doing with no real assistance from Apple's software.

I have over 23 thousand tracks 100+ movies and over 500 TV episodes in iTunes and the software doesnt seem to give me any trouble. There are a few annoyances but they are not errors. Of course alot of the tagging errors are my doing and not Apples so I dont blame them for that.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Wait a second...

If your music is on your iPod, how did it get there in the first place? It must have been on your computer, right? So why do you want to extract it from your iPod? There is no need to do this at all. Please explain.

I hope you are aware that copying someone else's music from an iPod onto your computer is illegal. And since being capable of extracting someone else's music from an iPod would be an open invitation to piracy, Apple would be in deep legal trouble with the record industry if they allowed you to get unprotected music from an iPod into your computer in a "convenient" way.

8. wngraham macrumors regular

Wow. The number of people who can't wait to jump on the "piracy, illegal, voiding NDA" bandwagon around here is ridiculous. Seems like nobody gets the benefit of the doubt.

I had the exact same situation 2 weeks ago. My HD crashed, I had no current backup, and needed to get files off of my iPod. Nothing illegal about that.

9. wazgilbert macrumors regular

^^

That and of course the fact that nearly all other MP3 players are just a portable flash-drive with a decoder and amp attached, so they can't just be copied!

:rolleyes:

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If that were the case with the OP, then I'm sure he would have mentioned that his HD crashed and he needs to get his music off his iPod, instead of complaining about what seems to be a bad windows install.

OP - What OS are you running? Have you tried reinstalling iTunes?

11. Vista thread starter macrumors newbie

an MP4 in an apple file type (video). ill import with the "add file to library" which allows me to select more than 1 specific file. select all the vids i need and press ok. i w8... nothing happens. id say 40% of the time this works when i first try it.

another problem i had when i was new to iPods. at the time i didnt know about the non-supported files ex: WMV, AVI, etc... so i tried importing an wmv (Windows Media Video) and nothing happened! usually if u import a non-supported file type to some other video compiler or something you will get an error message telling u "WMVs are not supported". but when i did this to itunes, i didnt get an error message, or notice, or anything! it pretty much stopped importing the file and did nothing.

but im a nerd, i understand the whole aspect of file types. so in about 30 minutes i realized the problem. my friends on the other hand are still clueless.

i guess macs dont get error messages. they just do nothing and make u take the time to figure out the problem if your programming.

12. 66217 Guest

It seems to me that by the way you are reacting you really don't want help. People have offered you explanations and tips and you just keep saying how bad iTunes is.

You know, the most simple thing would be just stop using iTunes. Problem solved.

13. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

ts not jumping on the piracy bandwagon. It is thinking logically about why Apple did not include this functionality. They do allow you to transfer your iTunes purchases back from the iPod but don't allow non purchases to discourage the common user from unloading their friends iPod. It is a concious decision by Apple.

The other thing I don't understand is why people feel it is Apples responsibility to maintain their media collection. If you lost a cd you don't go back to the store asking for another disc do you? Why would you do that with any digital music service? After providing you a working file in its entirty they have no more responsibility. If you cannot maintain your own digital media you should probably go back to CDs and tapes.

14. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Use MusicMatch Jukebox or WinAmp. They both have iPod support (MusicMatch is official)

15. Canerican macrumors regular

Well I know what the problem is

Attached Files:

16. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I use j.River Media Center. Works in the manner of iTunes, but actually lets you do what you want. It's $40 however so might not be what you want, but I think it's worth it - although I do a lot more with it than just sync iPods. Syncs iPod play counts and dates, does smart playlists even smarter than iTunes. And it works with USB Mass Storage players as well as MTP players, should you decide to dump the iPod for something better sounding or with better features.
    http://www.jrmediacenter.com/

A drag & drop option is Anapod. It integrates iPod to Explorer, so you can drag & drop stuff onto and off the player. Once again it does cost a bit of money.
    http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/

Both j.River and Anapod will on-the-fly transcode codecs which aren't compatible with your player. Video side requires some futzing, and above all transcode speeds will depend on how fast your machine is. j.River has multi-core support in transcoding, with practical support for up to quadcore CPU's during the transcoding process.

A free option somewhat similar to j.River with the option to upgrade for better features is MediaMonkey. Probably the best option if you don't want to pay.
    http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Songbird is a very interesting departure and being cross-platform, the Mac's Great White Hope for something even beginning to approach options available under Windows - Windows being a superior platform IMO for home entertainment if you've grown past the simplistic iApps. It's not quite ready for the prime time yet though, but give it a try if Mediamonkey isn't for you.
    http://www.songbirdnest.com/

17. Vista thread starter macrumors newbie

I clean up my HD on my PC and delete some media thats already on my iPod. theres no need to have both copy's on my iPod and PC at the same time.

lol ppl are putting up itunes clones so im gunna start looking at them. stopping using itunes is exacly what i want to do :).

18. mr.light macrumors 6502

Oh I don't know.....maybe as a backup??:rolleyes:

19. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

The iPod is not intended to be a storage device. It is meant to be a media player and as it turns out the nature of the beast is that its a decent portable harddrive. Why not simply back-up your media on DVDs? They are really cheap now a days. less than a penny a piece.

20. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you are that low on HD space that you need to delete files from the PC in order to have free space - you NEED a new HD, not an iTunes replacement.

If you are just that anal about having free HD space - there is no help for you at all.

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Backup ... like .... What would you do if your iPod was lost, broken, stolen, hit by a bolt of lighting?

B

22. iBallz macrumors 6502

iBallz

I too, used to hate iTunes, and wondered if all the Mac apps sucked as bad.

I bought the latest and fastest PC laptops every year, then one day, I thought I'd try a Mac, I even ordered it with Parallels (just in case the OS X sucked) Oh was I wrong! I love my Macs (all 5 of 'em) and would never go back!

I love iTunes now, and think I was just over thinking the whole process.

23. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Hate? No.

Strongly dislike? Yes.

It has terrible mp3 tag changing ability,
    it has terrible organization abilities,
    its bloated with useless features,
    it doesn't allow browsing by album in a logical way,
    it doesn't allow you to move the song name column out of the first position like all the other columns can,
    it doesn't allow you to fold the song names into album groupings in the main view window,
    it insists on checking for album art even though I haven't enabled that feature,
    etc.

Plus, it's slow as molasses even on computers that run all other programs quickly. If there was a reasonable alternative to itunes that could load songs onto my ipod, then I'd give that software a serious look.

24. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Songbird has an iPod plug in for folks like you.

B

25. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Congratulations. You now love Big Brother. :D:p

I actually buy the latest and fastest premium PC's each year - or more usually, 9 months. As such I've gone back with a sigh of relief to Windows for most of what I do, especially at home. My also latest and fastest - well almost, don't have the new Pro yet - Macs are fine for the limited things I do with them at home now, and while inadequate for work we're fixing that.

Interestingly, while the hardware has been a problem for work, OS X and the ecosystem around it has proved most inadequate in the home.