Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The core apps I mean like Snapchat, instagram, Facebook and the usual games like candy crush and etc. not the weird flash light apps made by theseguysmakesapps or whatever.

“A new piece of mobile malware has been discovered in Google Play masquerading as multiple apps: an alarm clock app, a QR scanner app, a compass app, a photo editor app, an Internet speed test app, and a file explorer app.“

Literally the first sentence of the article. Those are pretty common apps for people to download. Not weird and wonderful esoteric apps.

But sure, if you use your Android phone just for Facebook and Candy Crush, you’ll be fine. No disagreement there.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
“A new piece of mobile malware has been discovered in Google Play masquerading as multiple apps: an alarm clock app, a QR scanner app, a compass app, a photo editor app, an Internet speed test app, and a file explorer app.“

Literally the first sentence of the article. Those are pretty common apps for people to download. Not weird and wonderful esoteric apps.

But sure, if you use your Android phone just for Facebook and Candy Crush, you’ll be fine. No disagreement there.

I wouldn’t call those core apps since a lot is already there by your OEM excluding Android one and pixel phones . Those will be weeded out by google as well . For all practical purposes there is no difference.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
I don’t particularly like the iPhone X myself but it’s the best option right now because I want to use iOS. I tried going back to an iPhone 8 last weekend and the quality of the screen was bad, and I just couldn’t get past that. It was nice to have Touch ID again, miss that for sure, but the app switching seemed tedious compared to just swiping. I’ll never like Face ID but I have to deal with it because I’m not moving to Android

Reactions: Closingracer

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I don’t particularly like the iPhone X myself but it’s the best option right now because I want to use iOS. I tried going back to an iPhone 8 last weekend and the quality of the screen was bad, and I just couldn’t get past that. It was nice to have Touch ID again, miss that for sure, but the app switching seemed tedious compared to just swiping.

The 8 is a nice phone but I wanted OLED which made me switch back to a Note 8 originally ( upgraded in September and needed a phone) otherwise I would of gotten a X.

Reactions: ssl0408

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Cool you got some out of nowhere websites ? Please . As somebody who actually used Android in the past and probably again in the future and have no stake in this childish fanboy crap I can tell you you’re just as safe on Android as iOS as long as you stay on the store . If you download apps from outside the play store then ymmv. See nowhere in your “proof” dictates if it’s store apps or android apps . I’ve regularly changed passwords and so forth and never had a issue on Android or iOS .

Mate, I’ve been in this industry since decades now. So let’s not dismiss something with random name calling that you’ve got no clue about. Just by “using” Android devices you don’t become a security expert. Let’s not go down that route.

And by the way those are not nowhere websites.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Mate, I’ve been in this industry since decades now. So let’s not dismiss something with random name calling that you’ve got no clue about. Just by “using” Android devices you don’t become a security expert. Let’s not go down that route.

And by the way those are not nowhere websites.

You don’t need to be a security expert to realize your making nothing out of something. For all practical purposes the google play store is just about as safe as the App Store . If you don’t like Android fine . Nobody is making you to. But it’s just as safe as iOS now practically speaking .

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
You don’t need to be a security expert to realize your making nothing out of something. For all practical purposes the google play store is just about as safe as the App Store . If you don’t like Android fine . Nobody is making you to. But it’s just as safe as iOS now practically speaking .

NO IT IS NOT!

Google does not have any vetting process, so you can upload an app with whatever functionality you want and it will be available on the play store. This can be an app that passes all user data to a random server and then that data could be sold without user consent or even apps that show pirated content.

Google can only react to issues and pull an app down from the play store once it has been flagged as an issue by people but if there’s a malicious app on the play store then you’d have already been affected by it even before google has done anything about it.

Incidentally, Google can also remove this app from your device without your consent. This can also be looked at as a plus or minus. Personally, I don’t like people having access to my devices without my consent.

Having said that, a reaction based approach means either way there’s a chance of the users getting affected by these apps even before an intervention from google.

Ps. It’s not that I don’t like Android. In fact, Android is a huge part of my daily life but I appreciate iOS and Android for different things.

There’s a reason why most mobile malware has always been developed for Android!

http://www.businessinsider.com/nearly-all-mobile-malware-in-2013-targeted-android-devices-2014-1

https://mashable.com/2013/05/22/new-mobile-malware-targets-android-phones/

Yes, I know these are old articles but I provided the links for context.

Last edited:

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
NO IT IS NOT!

Google does not have any vetting process, so you can upload an app with whatever functionality you want and it will be available on the play store. This can be an app that passes all user data to a random server and then that data could be sold without user consent or even apps that show pirated content.

Google can only react to issues and pull an app down from the play store once it has been flagged as an issue by people but if there’s a malicious app on the play store then you’d have already been affected by it even before google has done anything about it.

Incidentally, Google can also remove this app from your device without your consent. This can also be looked at as a plus or minus. Personally, I don’t like people having access to my devices without my consent.

Having said that, a reaction based approach means either way there’s a chance of the users getting affected by these apps even before an intervention from google.

Ps. It’s not that I don’t like Android. In fact, Android is a huge part of my daily life but I appreciate iOS and Android for different things.

There’s a reason why most mobile malware has always been developed for Android!

http://www.businessinsider.com/nearly-all-mobile-malware-in-2013-targeted-android-devices-2014-1

https://mashable.com/2013/05/22/new-mobile-malware-targets-android-phones/

Yes, I know these are old articles but I provided the links for context.

No the reason is actually there more Android devices then iOS . Same as windows is more then macOS. Android from 2013 is very different then Android in 2018 . Either way common sense is king for iOS and Android and if you use it you won’t ever get malware viruses and so forth .

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
No the reason is actually there more Android devices then iOS . Same as windows is more then macOS. Android from 2013 is very different then Android in 2018 . Either way common sense is king for iOS and Android and if you use it you won’t ever get malware viruses and so forth .

You’re avoiding the argument of having more chances of getting dodgy apps via the play store compared to the AppStore.

There’s no denying a human intervention prevents such situation to a greater extent.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
You’re avoiding the argument of having more chances of getting dodgy apps via the play store compared to the AppStore.

There’s no denying a human intervention prevents such situation to a greater extent.

The chances of getting dodge apps between both ecosystems is negligible

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Where are you getting this data from when most malware gets developed specifically for Android?!

And yet how many unique news stories are there about them in the last 5 months ? Between the hundreds of apps I’ve downloaded in the past zero has been malware .

Reactions: iSilas

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
And yet how many unique news stories are there about them in the last 5 months ? Between the hundreds of apps I’ve downloaded in the past zero has been malware .

If we’re coming down to personal anecdotes then I can categorically say that I’ve come across people who have managed to get their Android devices infested with spyware and malware to the point where they don’t even know what’s going on in their devices.

The basic point is - average consumers don’t know what a malware is and what they should look out for. Given the number of devices available and ease of infection holes, Android as a platform is bound to be vulnerable with their strategy.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Ah, the old security through obscurity argument.

Did you know that OS9 had more viruses and Trojans than macOS does today? Does that mean OS9 had a larger market share? Because it didn’t.

iOS is still ubiquitous and utterly huge. Android has the larger world wide market share but you act as if somebody could write a beast of a virus for iOS but instead decides to go for Android. That’s completely untrue. iOS is inherently more secure due to the closed garden and Apple’s approval process for picking up these sort of malicious apps is much better as well.

Now Blackberry OS: THAT’S security through obscurity. Nobody would waste time writing a virus to hit the three Blackberry users still left.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Not for nothing but alot of these dislikes could have been discovered within the first 14 days of owning the device, at which point you could have returned it for an iPhone 8 or perhaps one of the many android devices on the market.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Your feelings. likes, and dislikes regarding your phone are ... personal.
What surprised me, after being able to test the 8+ and X for a month, was that most of the complaints the OP noted I also had issues with.

One item of note, I pointed this out to our office X user, that as long as you use Face ID and that the phone is vertically aligned to your face +/- 30 degrees, Face ID is fairly consistent. Otherwise it pretty much sucks. :cool:

Reactions: decafjava

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Your feelings. likes, and dislikes regarding your phone are ... personal.
What surprised me, after being able to test the 8+ and X for a month, was that most of the complaints the OP noted I also had issues with.

One item of note, I pointed this out to our office X user, that as long as you use Face ID and that the phone is vertically aligned to your face +/- 30 degrees, Face ID is fairly consistent. Otherwise it pretty much sucks. :cool:

I’ve never had any issues with Face ID so far unless I’m laying down and having the phone at a weird angle. Otherwise works flawless. Just wished it would skip the swipe up step even as an option

Reactions: BigPictureGuy

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
I’ve never had any issues with Face ID so far unless I’m laying down and having the phone at a weird angle. Otherwise works flawless. Just wished it would skip the swipe up step even as an option

Suggest you look at the specs. Face ID only works when vertically aligned to your face. This was pointed out to me as a possible issue when I was having significant failures unlocking the X. I ad hoc tested it and found if I went past approximately 30 degrees out of alignment the number of failures grew until the rate was 100%.
Many are hoping that it will require only a software fix to allow landscape Face ID.

One other aspect, I found that over the course of a month, Face ID did not really learn and improve. Mayhap this was improved with 11.4?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Suggest you look at the specs. Face ID only works when vertically aligned to your face. This was pointed out to me as a possible issue when I was having significant failures unlocking the X. I ad hoc tested it and found if I went past approximately 30 degrees out of alignment the number of failures grew until the rate was 100%.
Many are hoping that it will require only a software fix to allow landscape Face ID.

One other aspect, I found that over the course of a month, Face ID did not really learn and improve. Mayhap this was improved with 11.4?

As I just said aside from weird angles Face ID works great . It was a statement . Was just pointing it works fine .

Reactions: dk001

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I think threads like this the OP thinks “let’s see what responses I get from this, ha, ha, ha,ha,ha, and
never respond back.
I think the thread should just get closed if the op isn’t going to reply.

Reactions: RevTEG
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.