i HATE the apple store, but got my new MBP 15"!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shamash, Jan 6, 2009.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

I saved 280 by instead of doing the 2.53 ghz, doing the 2.4 and upgrading to 4gigs ram. Going from an 80gig hd to a 250 gig makes me not worry about the 320, and I have 80gig external anyways.

i love it so much, just getting used to the trackpad is going to be really hard. it's amazing though :) such an upgrade from my oldddd blackbook that i now have to find a place to sell haha

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Seriously, what's to hate about it? I know all the kiddies shopping for iPods there is annoying, but when I absolutely need something Mac-related, I can usually count on TAS to have it. They also fixed my dad's iMac G5 by replacing the logic board and temperature sensors for FREE a couple of months ago.

4. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

ahahaha i totally forgot that part of my story.

so i walk up to like 5 different people in the blue shirts who all say they can't help me because they're doing some random thing, or some are just not responding. i go to the orange shirts and they say they'll find me a blue shirt and then don't do anything. i go to a genius who says he's not here to help me. literally. that's what he said.

like 30 minutes of following the orange shirt guy around, he hooks me up with a blue shirt person to get me my computer. she says it'll take 10 minutes max to get the 4gigs of ram installed.

45 minutes later, it's finally out. i was like wow that was really cool.

i love it so much though that whole experience is kind of behind me, hence me forgetting to post it :p although this trackpad is driving me insane. i guess i'll get used to it huh?

5. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

oh and also i wanted an expresscard slot thing for my Rebel XT. she gave me a $35 thing to put in it and said it was the right one. i told her it looked kinda small for my card, she said it was the right one.

i took it home and opened it. it's totally not the right one :p good thing she said if its not the right one i can return it haha

6. dylanmac macrumors newbie

dylanmac

The only thing I hate(d) about the Apple store near me was when they first had the new LED Cinema on display, there would be an employee who would, everytime I was in there, take people and help them RIGHT in-front of the new display so everyone would be far back trying to get a glimpse of it.

7. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

they do that with EVERYTHING. when i was trying to see the 15" next to the 17" to make sure i liked the 15" screen better than the bigger one (coming from a 13" macbook and hating my mom's 24" imac) i had to wait 10 minutes for people on BOTH SIDES of the table just standing there talking to customers.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Sounds like the Apple Stores near you guys are run by Circuit City alums. The one in Buford, Ga., has plenty of blue shirts and they ALWAYS ask if I need help before I can get two feet in the store. I think it's the local management that you need to get fussy at.

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Congratulations on your purchase.

As for me, I love my local Apple Store. They always replace my headphones for free and I often "Apple it up" with the workers. When I bought my iPod touch I was offered a job... curse only being 16!!!

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Your apple store employees wear other things than black shirts?:confused:

11. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

But now you gotta go back to the store you hate so much.

PS it was no coincidence they made you wait 45min to get your Mac, they do the same thing to everyone, hoping you shop, and buy more stuff. It is their policy to make you buy more stuff. Every time I go to the Apple store I wind up buying more crap that I need/ don't need all time.

12. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

I have to say, the Apple store employees are in general some of the nicest retail employees I've encountered. Unlike the sour asses in Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. etc.

The one thing that bothers me about the Apple store is sometimes they get pushy with trying to sell you extra crap. Like Apple Care, mobile me, software, cases, etc etc. And they rarely get the hint when you politely say no. That type of thing is why I always hated the Best Buys of the world, so it's a bit disappointing.

Besides that, I always enjoy my visits.

13. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

the thing is, she didn't pressure me into buying anything. she said i would have time to go get food and it would be ready when i was done. i made sure to only eat for 15 minutes because she said it would be done in 10 and then waited for a long time. and she told me i didn't need to buy any card reader or anything, and i could just plug my camera in through USB haha. she was like against me buying stuff.

to be honest she tried to get me to buy a macbook instead of a macbook pro and i was just like um i know what i want thanks haha.

14. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

and to clarify, i love my visits to the genius bar usually. i guess i just hate the workers.

whenever my friend Meghan is working, who works at the store i went to, she comes straight up to me and helps me with everything, but i feel like whenever she's not there it's impossible to find someone.

i mean, to be fair, it was a REALLY busy store, but i actually wanted to make a big purchase in comparison to so many people just "browsing"

i mean, no joke, in the time i was waiting for someone to help me, Greg Oden came in to the store and had 3 people helping him. and i was just like wow i can't have one of those 3? cool.

15. Mr D macrumors 6502

Is it possible to get the hard drive upgraded too?

16. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Sure if your willing to pay...

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

18. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

All the store are different. The 1 store in Oakbrook,IL is amost always really busy and I always make an appointment when I need to talk to someone. The one in Schaumburg,IL isn't as busy and I usually can get help pretty quickly.

That's why you should make an appointment on line if you go there. It's not the workers fault they are busy, you want 1 to drop everything they are doing (helping other customers) the minute you walk in? Everyone shopping there has questions just like you do, they waited like everyone else there and probably made an appointment to get faster service. How many stores can you make an appointment to see them, use that feature.

19. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I also like to know?????

20. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

The Apple Store in Boulder CO is the same way in my experience. Lots of blue shirts asking if you need help or want to know something. Has always been a pleasurable experience, (at least), for me.

21. TooSixy macrumors newbie

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

yes, but some of us dont care enough to hit ctrl T.

;)

23. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

You make an appointment to get something fixed, not to buy something. All I wanted was someone to go to the back room and grab a computer that I already knew I wanted for me. I think I should make an appointment if I don't know what I want, but if I do know what I want, I don't see the point in having to make an appointment for going into the store.

24. macjram macrumors 6502a

macjram

The point of making the appointment is so you don't risk having to wait (as you did) and then you'd be happy you made an appt if it was busy (it was).

25. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

I understand completely making an appointment to see a Genius and have something fixed, but making an appointment to go into a store and buy a computer is absolutely ridiculous.