I hate you Apple. Mavericks ruined my computer.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by samrulestothema, Nov 23, 2013.

1. samrulestothema macrumors regular

Since updating from Mavericks,

My MBP- Mid2010 is unusable.

Cursor is so slow and laggy it makes even the most calm people go postal.

World of Warcraft? Ha, not anymore. Nice tidy 2fps.

Manages to do Safari alright, but god help me if I want to switch to Finder to CONSIDER opening another application.

I have reinstalled from fresh, twice. Doesn't help. Cursor is fine for approx 2 days.
    Don;t know if this is relevant, but my computer fan hasn't come on in forever.

Does anyone know why the hell this is happening.

2. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

What sort of strange, weird gamer-style input devices have you got? Unupdated Keyboard macro Apps?

I once had the temerity to install a Logitech mouse on 10.1.5 (Puma), and the update to Jaguar (10.2) caused Logitech's driver to slowly allocate all available memory over the course of 3-4 days. That caused a slowdown of the sort you describe.

Chances are you've installed some little piece of software you've practically forgotten about, that's misbehaving horribly.

3. Eithanius macrumors 65816

PRAM reset...

Anyhow, I have a mid-2010 MBP, granted I do not exhibit problems like yours, but sadly graphics was bad on Mavvy DESPITE a clean install. I have OCD enough that even Mission Control is choppy on integrated graphics. I believe Mountain Lion will be the last OS X version to run properly on my Mac. To hell with Mavericks..!

4. samrulestothema thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any way to know what I have installed?

I don;t have any devices at all attached.

5. sliceoftoast macrumors 6502

sliceoftoast

Have you Verified the HDD is okay / Smart Status? How much ram is in the unit?

Did you back the unit up before upgrading? Why not restore it back to the previous OS and wait until 10.9.1 like other people are?

6. samrulestothema thread starter macrumors regular

what is smart status?

4GB of ram. Can;t restore it as I do not make backups- i don;t care about my photos or music it is all re-downloadable lol

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

8. samrulestothema thread starter macrumors regular

Ok I will try that, would you be able to find a link to an appropriate ram? Apparently there is loads of diff types!

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

6 posts and not one has mentioned the op's claim of not hearing the fan on his computer.

Op you need to download istat (it's free) and check what your fan is doing. If it has failed then that explains everything! No fan means a throttled CPU.

10. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Don't be concerned about what is installed, rather what is using your resources. Check Activity Monitor and take a look at both memory and CPU--all processes--and rank according to CPU or memory use. See if something you are not aware of is hogging your system resources.

11. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Hi there. To see if you would benefit from a RAM upgrade, go to Activity Monitor (found in the "Other" folder in Launchpad. Once in Activity Monitor, click on the Memory tab then look at the data on the bottom of the window. Look for Compressed. If you have anything but 0 bytes, you should consider a RAM upgrade. Especially if it is a large number.

Will this fix all your problems; maybe? But it will defiantly improve system performance. I sounds more like it is to do with the GPU but as your iGPU uses system RAM as VRAM, a RAM upgrade would defiantly help. I would recommend going to Crucial for your RAM upgrades. Before doing that; you should defiantly search google for how (and if) you can replace RAM on your Mac.

Go to "About this Mac", click "more info" and click the memory tab, if you have 2 slots of 2, you would have to buy 2 sticks of 4Gb. I would highly recommend you look into all of this to see if you are willing to replace it yourself.

Read this for more information.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1270

Hope this helped. It is really up to you if you wish to do it or not. It is not costly, but could be risky if you lack experience in replacing RAM modules. If you have to lift up the keyboard, I wouldn't do it, but I believe the MBP's have a slot on the back that you open up to get the the slots.

12. ElliottG macrumors member

Install Mountain Lion; problem solved. IMO Mavericks doesn't offer anything greater than it for daily use.

13. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Just checked; your MBP has 2 slots. You have 2 sticks of 2Gb in your MBP, and you can put 2 4Gb sticks in. I looks like you have to take the entire back panel of so I would say only do it if you have faith in yourself. You could always get someone else to do it like a store or even take it to apple.

14. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

except that i really doubt lack of RAM is his problem.
    Not that it wouldn't be a decent upgrade, but I doubt that's his issue and therefore I doubt it would fix his issue.

15. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

The iGPU in his MBP uses system RAM, and 4Gb is not enough. It would explain the pointer lag. A RAM upgrade would solve that if the RAM is getting compressed due to it being used as VRAM.

16. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i would agree but for the claim that it was working well before. he hasn't changed anything other than the OS upgrade.

A RAM upgrade might make some of that go away, but i don't think it would solve the problem which i suspect is being caused by something else as described by others upthread.

17. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

Sounds like you should restore 10.85 from your backup/clone and wait for Apple to work out the bugs in 10.9.

18. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

I could swear that all these ppl complaining about mavericks installed it on top of a year old 10.8 or older OS. How many times must we say do a clean install? Format and do a clean install and come back and tell me if it's buggy!

19. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Funny. I also have a mid 2010 MBP. Running 4GB RAM, did not do a clean install, just an upgrade. 14GB free on my 250GB hard drive. Number of issues? None.

To be fair though, I don't play WOW though.

20. gamesetmatch macrumors regular

gamesetmatch

Well, I think I'm a lucky guy then. Running Mavericks on an old Macbook Pro with only 4 GB of RAM has been a pleasant experience so far. Not a single crash nor a kernel panic.

The whole system seems faster (let aside some issues with Finder and Dock, and some random spinning beachballs).

Just look at the stats provided by Activity Monitor. Running Safari, iTunes, Mail, Tweetdeck and swapfile is 0; so is the compressed section.

All the best,

^MPY.

Attached Files:

21. samrulestothema thread starter macrumors regular

this is a CLEAN install.

----------

My graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 320m 256mb- does that mean my graphics card still uses system ram?

----------

I am confident I can do it, just got to find the right ram!

22. leo.andres.21 macrumors regular

I don't understand. I have not once required to do a 'clean install' since Snow Leopard. Even as I use every single Dev Previews.

23. Benjamin99 macrumors member

Same here - upgraded only on my Macs without any issues. Everything running pretty fast here.

24. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

256Mb of VRAM for your GPU is not enough to do even the most basic of tasks without it uses RAM. Mavericks could use upto 1Gb of your system RAM just for graphics.

Use this to find the right RAM

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/macos.aspx

----------

Could you go into Activity Monitor and tell me how much RAM is compressed.

----------

Have a look at gamesetmatch's image showing what you are looking for in Activity Monitor. Try opening a web page while doing this and see how much is compressed.

25. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

I did a clean install....still have tons of problems. Besides that, I've seen tons of other posts that say a clean install isn't necessary, just an extra step if you want to.