Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Riiiight, because it couldn't be that OSX Mavericks has bugs. It must be the junk apps installed that are causing it. Forget the fact that Apple just released 10.9.1 which actually fixes bugs. :rolleyes:

so why are you Mac haters here? I have no bugs on my Mac...everything is working fine..so it must be the user.

wtsitmn

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
Texass
so why are you Mac haters here? I have no bugs on my Mac...everything is working fine..so it must be the user.

Mac haters? I LOVE my Mac. It's Mavericks which seems to be causing all the trouble. Everything was just peachy with my Macs until I upgraded.

It amazes me to see all these fan-boys who won't even accept the possibility that their beloved Apple software just might have some serious bugs. I've worked on a plethora of computer systems in my lifetime, but I have never before seen the silliness which goes on with some Apple users. The way they blindly stick up for Apple, you'd think they were getting challenged to a duel over their family jewels. :rolleyes:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Mac haters? I LOVE my Mac. It's Mavericks which seems to be causing all the trouble. Everything was just peachy with my Macs until I upgraded.

It amazes me to see all these fan-boys who won't even accept the possibility that their beloved Apple software just might have some serious bugs. I've worked on a plethora of computer systems in my lifetime, but I have never before seen the silliness which goes on with some Apple users. The way they blindly stick up for Apple, you'd think they were getting challenged to a duel over their family jewels. :rolleyes:

Not that at all.

I've installed Mavericks on two 2010 MBPs just like the OPs. Both fresh installs with a TM restore. Both worked fine considering the C2D CPU.

Lots of OSX users install all sorts of aftermarket software that simply may not have been updated for Mavericks, add to that the tweakers who just can't stay away from the terminal. Who knows what the OP installed over the lifetime of their MBP, a clean install would probably fix their problems (unless they have a flaky MBP).

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Don't make conclusions why people have problems with mavericks.Some of us we use computers more than 20 years when some of you don't even exist and we have major issues with this mess os.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Don't make conclusions why people have problems with mavericks.Some of us we use computers more than 20 years when some of you don't even exist and we have major issues with this mess os.

He doesn't have to make conclusions, there are people right here on MR constantly posting threads asking recommendations for haxies and hacks to change the look and feel of the Dock (which should be left alone as it's an integral part of the OS operations) and they proudly post screenshots of their hacked desktops, the Menu Bar, the Finder and such. Sure those hacks might work for the existing OS since they were written for them but to upgrade to a new OS that might not support them will cause instability. Please don't ignore the facts by telling people not to jump to conclusions. Happy New Year.

wtsitmn

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
Texass
Your question can easily be answered the moment you explain why many people are having little to no problems after upgrading to Mavericks. ;)

OH I see...
So in your opinion, if a lot of people are having problems with a product, but a lot aren't, there is nothing wrong with the product. Yes, that makes perfect sense. NOT!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
OH I see...
So in your opinion, if a lot of people are having problems with a product, but a lot aren't, there is nothing wrong with the product. Yes, that makes perfect sense. NOT!

You're putting words in my mouth. You do the math though. Tell me sir, why is it that half the people are having issues and the other half aren't especially when we all acquired the OS from the same vendor. :rolleyes: Sorry it bothers you that people are posting with positive experiences. I suppose it dampens the other people who are trying to spread FUD.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
LOL nice attempt at troll baiting.

I pointed out that Apple themselves admitted that there are bugs in Mavericks. What rational reason do you have for denying that? Is Apple a "Mac hater"?

oy, I've been in the tech field long enough that I should be used to fanaticism by now... maybe some day.

It would be nice for a change to have a reasoned discussion that isn't fueled by emotions (on either side... "Mavericks ate my baby" and "Mavericks cures cancer").

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
LOL nice attempt at troll baiting.

I pointed out that Apple themselves admitted that there are bugs in Mavericks. What rational reason do you have for denying that? Is Apple a "Mac hater"?

oy, I've been in the tech field long enough that I should be used to fanaticism by now... maybe some day.

It would be nice for a change to have a reasoned discussion that isn't fueled by emotions (on either side... "Mavericks ate my baby" and "Mavericks cures cancer").

go buy you a Windows machine..and see how that works for ya!

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I dont care about design i need an os to be fast and stable bugs free.In mavericks i even cant see a youtube video

User error....

Uh design of the OS is very important. If the design is not intuitive (which Windows 8 is not) it ruins productivity. You can't play a YouTube video? That's your problem and it's something you've done to create that. I have 4 Macs with Mavericks and all of them can play YouTube videos just fine.

Agree with you Henry...

I always wonder why my OS works so very well, and others have issues. I can bet they did something to or installed something that does not play well with the OS, and want to blame Apple. This will never end.

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
User error....

Agree with you Henry...

I always wonder why my OS works so very well, and others have issues. I can bet they did something to or installed something that does not play well with the OS, and want to blame Apple. This will never end.

AMEN!!

If I had this many problems I would sell it and buy a Windows, Linux, or Android machine.

Ai-apple

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2013
User error....

Agree with you Henry...

It's easier to blame somebody else other than yourself. It's the American way.

chevalier433

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2011
Most of the fanboys in these forums if you see their past posts all run mavericks from DP1 without issues:D

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Most of the fanboys in these forums if you see their past posts all run mavericks from DP1 without issues:D

lol sorry but it is true ... ive been running it since DP1 on my rMBP and my old C2D MBP without issues. guess im just lucky

Mavericks even fixed the horrible slow shut down i had on Lion and Mountain Lion but could everyone just calm down and get BACK ON TOPIC as in trying to answer the question of the OP?

i'm still saying its a FAN issue

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Mavericks certainly has its issues.

I'm running it fine on my mid '12 rMBP, however on my friend's '11 iMac 21.5" it caused no end of issues, including trouble browsing the net. A return to Lion fixed all of her issues.

lekkagelek

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014
Mid-2010 13" MBP here as well, upgraded from 10.9 to 10.9.1 and the computer is unusable ('slow' wouldn't cover the slowness) now on my main account. I created another user account and it works better - still slower than before the upgrade but it's doable. The problem must thus be with some file/setting in my main user account; does anyone know how to either haul over all my files and preferences to the other account, or how to fix the main account?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Did you try a clean install (making sure you have a backup)?

I have Mavericks running on a 2009 Mini and its not exhibiting any performance issues.

How much ram do you have?

lekkagelek

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014
I will make a backup this week and erase hd + reinstall.
However, if the problem is user-specific (OS X works ok on the other account), wouldn't the problem just persist?

PS I have 4gb

wtsitmn

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
Texass
I will make a backup this week and erase hd + reinstall.
However, if the problem is user-specific (OS X works ok on the other account), wouldn't the problem just persist?

PS I have 4gb

This will not fix the problem. I did it (more than once) with the exact same results. It's not a memory issue, as I have 16GB installed. (Unless maybe there is such a thing now as too much memory :p)

My guess is that this is an indexing issue with the file system, based upon various internet comments I've read here and there. My own systems will speed up and slow down for no apparent reason, but it always seems to be related to file system access.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Not that at all.

I've installed Mavericks on two 2010 MBPs just like the OPs. Both fresh installs with a TM restore. Both worked fine considering the C2D CPU.

Lots of OSX users install all sorts of aftermarket software that simply may not have been updated for Mavericks, add to that the tweakers who just can't stay away from the terminal. Who knows what the OP installed over the lifetime of their MBP, a clean install would probably fix their problems (unless they have a flaky MBP).

I keep wondering about the aftermarket stuff too. I have none and have upgraded 5 Macs to Mavericks, all upgrade installs, and none have any issues. All had plenty of free disk space. Most have 4 gb RAM, 1 has 8 GB.

Lots of times we see threads about crashes and if we look at the crash report we see all kinds of kexts installed.

Anytime you've installed a device that adds software, you open up a potential problem when you upgrade the OS. That's one reason I never install the add-on tweaks and software.

I keep wondering how many of the people complaining about mavericks have 3rd party stuff that doesn't play well with the new OS.

wtsitmn

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
Texass
I keep wondering about the aftermarket stuff too. I have none and have upgraded 5 Macs to Mavericks, all upgrade installs, and none have any issues. All had plenty of free disk space. Most have 4 gb RAM, 1 has 8 GB.

Lots of times we see threads about crashes and if we look at the crash report we see all kinds of kexts installed.

Anytime you've installed a device that adds software, you open up a potential problem when you upgrade the OS. That's one reason I never install the add-on tweaks and software.

I keep wondering how many of the people complaining about mavericks have 3rd party stuff that doesn't play well with the new OS.

Wrong again. My machines had no aftermarket software installed. I tested them after doing a 100% clean install.

Just because lots of people don't have problems doesn't mean Mavericks is error free. Something is causing certain systems to fail, but we don't yet know what it is.

My experience is that Mavericks sometimes slows when it's trying to access data from the hard drive or server. The problem I've seen seems to go away all by itself, then return later. So far I've noticed no pattern. My suspicion is that it has to do with Mavericks trying to save power, since that is a major change to the OS.

For those having troubles, I suggest you stop wasting time trying to diagnose it. It's not you! Either live with it or downgrade to your old version of the OS. Apple will likely fix it one of these days, but intermittent problems are the most difficult to identify and correct, so don't hold your breath.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.