I have grown to HATE Lion...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dba415, Aug 30, 2011.

1. dba415 macrumors 6502

At first I thought it was just different, and that I'll get used to it eventually.

Now, though, I have grown to HATE Lion.

It starts from the moment I boot up the computer and realize it doesn't boot up as fast as Snow Leopard.

Then I log in and I cringe when it opens up all my last used apps because I forgot to check a box that automatically checks itself every time I try to turn off the machine.

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Was there a question in your rant?

3. luist3k macrumors newbie

I find that feature a great one, but that is considering I have an SDD MBA. Although it sucks that it won't remember when you uncheck. So I agree that it is flawed.

Just wait for 10.7.2 and give it a chance. Looks promising.:apple:

4. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

there wasnt a question mark in his title...

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Not everyone phrases the title of a post with a question mark. Does not mean that there won't be a question posed in the body of the post. The OP could have written their post to get some help with the issues that they are having with Lion. Instead they decided to start yet another rant thread. And the things mentioned in this thread have been discussed ad nauseam in countless other threads.

6. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't like Lion either OP. I'm downgrading to SL soon. Some other people will love Lion and won't downgrade. So what? What is the point in creating a thread about it?

Were you hoping that someone would cure your hatred for Lion? Probably not gonna happen. Go to Snow Leopard or Windows 7.

8. treestar macrumors 6502

9. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

i switched back to SL on my early 2011 MBA. i dont regret it. it will only take you a few hours of your time. the OS install itself will take about 30 mintues. its definitely worth it to go back.

i'll go back to lion when its ready. but i have to say i love my MBA again after going to back to SL...

10. scottsjack macrumors 68000

Not sure that Lion is actually moving forward. It seems like it's three nice things and five crappy things. Depending on which features you're considering Lion is either moving back a lot or moving back just a little. In either case Snow Leopard works better for serious computing on larger monitors.

11. treestar macrumors 6502

I disabled all the crappy things. Well, except for the ridiculous memory hogging. Oh well. I'll just spend the $900 on 16 GB of RAM for my MBP like all the cats are doing these days.

12. hayesk macrumors 65816

Why shut down all the time? Is there a reason nobody likes sleep?

13. hayesk macrumors 65816

No mention of increased 64-bit code, openCL usage, sandboxing, and ARC? All of these things make for better performance and stability.

14. DarkestRitual macrumors member

DarkestRitual

I'm not sure why, it actually boots faster than SL for me. What are you hardware specs? I also was having an issue with mds and mdworker being runaway processes randomly, so i rebuilt my spotlight index and that has resolved that... all in all, I'm pretty satisfied. If 10.6 did everything you needed though, feel free to revert. It was a great OS!

15. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

16. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Get out of here with your positive thoughts! :)

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Am I the only one who has a habit of closing my apps, clearing browser cache & cookies, etc .. etc ... before shutting down or manually putting to sleep?

Open last apps is actually a benefit in certain situations. Like if your system freezes completely and you got no choice but to shutdown using the power button.

Also my experience with Lion is a much faster bootup time than SL. And when the desktop appears I can open apps and use it right away. With SL I had to wait until my startup processes finish loading, the apps on the menubar would take around 10-20sec to load up and if I tried to click an app like the browser or mail, it would just bounce until everything else finished loading. Kind of like Windows, which is why I always use hibernate instead. With Lion it's instant.

18. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Nope, I also manually quit all the apps I've been using before I put my system to sleep (or shut down).

19. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Out of curiosity, why?

My logic: when I sleep the computer, I often am working on something that I want to continue working on, so why quit it when I'll just reopen it a little while later? When I shut down, everything is going to quit anyway, so why take the time to quit everything? Or are you avoiding Lion's reopen on login "feature"?

20. BlackMangoTree macrumors 6502a

Lion is a mess. It's ok for people who do light computing for the rest is a total mess.

It is clearly not ready for prime time. Why did Apple rush it out.

I have already returned one 2011 MacMini now i'll be downgrading the rest of my Macs to Snow Leopard.

----------

You're joking right ? Lion has very poor stability.

21. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@iThinkergoiMac, I never thought of it that way. If I'm going to be away from my desk for awhile I just save what I was working on, close out of the App, and let my system go to sleep when it's set to go to sleep. When I'm done for the day at my desk everything gets manually closed out and then I manually put my system to sleep.

Actually, you've made me seriously think about this and I think this behavior of mine goes back to the many years I was using Windows. Before fully switching everything to Mac in 2008 (to my very trusty and quite wonderful Mac Pro) my Windows system would freeze up a few times a week and I'd lose the progress I made to that point if I didn't continually save my document. Out of habit (and neccessity) I would save and close everything down before leaving my computer due to the paranoia and fear of losing my work. I think I'll have Windows-themed nightmares :eek: now that I remembered those dark times. That probably explains it though.

I'm still running Snow Leopard and haven't made the jump to Lion yet so I haven't encountered the feature you mentioned.

22. Tozzi macrumors regular

I agree. But we'll have to give it some time to evolve. Eventually, it will.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed...
    On my 16GB iMac I couldn't care less about mem leaks and such, and I enjoy using Lion on that machine. It's even quite stable there, no complaints apart from some odd bugs that can be worked around more or less easily...

On my MBP otoh, I had to revert to SL because of freezes and because I need my dual display setup on that one (which is fubar'd in Lion).
    Lion is a showstopper on that machine.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Haha ..... Same here. That habit is from the good ol' days before W7. But I still like to do it while I'm focused. If I come back to a cluttered screen, I might forget what the hell I was doing or what to save. I just like being organized before I sleep or shutdown.

24. OW22 macrumors 6502

OW22

Well I love Lion I have to say. On my iMac and I even kept SL in a partition and clean installed Lion, in case I hated it and wanted to go back to SL. Haven't used SL once in that time.

Lion is quick and smooth (just 4GB of Ram I have) and I've had zero freezes, dropped Wifi or anything bad.

With the Magic Trackpad, it's a winner IMHO.

25. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

I can adapt to Lion but it Beach balls for me quite a bit. Once a day my MBP locks up and I have to do a hard boot, holding down the power button. I suspect it's a few 3rd party apps doing this or maybe not.

And now, since it's rumored that Snow Leopard will be able to use iCloud I'm thinking of going back. I might give 10.7.2 a try first but it's nice to know I can revert if I want to.