I haven't seen lag this bad since iPhone 1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Low country, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Low country macrumors 6502

Wow....Lagging everywhere on my 7+ 256 running 10.1.1 updated at the Apple Store a few days ago. Besides my iCloud email absolutely NOT pushing at all the lag is killing me. This is my second 7+, returned the first one and went back to my 6S+ until my Apple Store got a couple more 7+ phones in. The first one had bad camera lag and the entire iPhone creaked and clicked and felt very flimsy. This one is built much better but lags no matter what I do on it. I have 0 songs loaded, 10 videos all less than 1 min long, 383 photos, and 7 applications with 242.22GB free.

I have reset, restored, DFU'd, restored as new, restored from iCloud backup, updated OTA and through iTunes. Lags regardless of what is done....AWESOME A10 Fusion chip!!

Lags and stutters scrolling through any settings pages

Camera lags when launching

Attaching a pic in iMessage lags

Home screen animations lag BAD when pressing home button to return to home screen

Tried Reduce Motion on and off, both suck!!

Any help appreciated shy of swapping for another one..Thanks

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you done a restore as new without any backup or even using iCloud (or perhaps using another iCloud account just to try it out), at least for a bit, to see how it behaves that way?

3. Low country thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't done that yet, good idea though. I'll try tomorrow. I really do NOT want to return or swap this 7+ and I'm willing to try anything to fix the lag but truly.......this is downright embarrassing for Apple.

4. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

It's not embarrassing for apple at all. You got a lemon or have a software/app conflict. It happens when mass producing any device.

5. Low country thread starter macrumors 6502

To Applejuiced and CDM,

Are you saying set up as new even without iCloud backup and try navigating and using the phone to see if the lag is still there?

Thx

6. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

That's what I'd do to confirm that it is or isn't a software issue caused by something in your backup.

7. Radon87000 macrumors 604

Yes.Don't restore any backup.Try setting it up as new and check.I own a 7 Plus and have zero lags.Absolute zero. Never use backups on a new iPhone

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Seeing you are one of the very few with lag like you are claiming, not sure if I would blame Apple

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Let's ask and post the results of millions of other iPhone 7 users.
    You will realize that the dozen or so complaining are the exception and not the rule.
    Did you bother doing what was suggested above or you just concluded that all iPhone 7's are slow and lagging?

10. Low country thread starter macrumors 6502

I just landed 3 hours ago and depart tomorrow again. Either Thursday or this weekend I will do what you suggested but it PISSES me off when others reply saying "It must be you"....

Applejuiced....I've owned a LOT of phones from many makers over the years including EVERY iPhone release except the iPhone SE. Of all the phones I've owned, the only ones that consistently give me operating issues OR have build quality issues are iPhones and iPads. I have NEVER had a faulty Mac, Android, or PC.

Back to my issue, should I use OTA or iTunes to do what you suggest?

And.......it's a few more than a "dozen or so"... LOL

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Then why did you buy another iPhone if you're so unhappy with them?
    Plug in to iTunes and hit restore.
    You will be fine, settle down.
    The new iPhone 7 is fast and powerful and with the latest update it runs smooth.
    It's definitely not slow or laggy like the original iPhone.

12. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Are you doing a restore-from-backup every new iPhone? If so, that's likely your problem. Every time you restore to a new phone, you're restoring all the old cruft the old phone had. Settings (some of which don't even apply to the new phone) temporary files, application caches, etc.

Yes, the OS knows to ignore some of it, but it takes the OS effort to realize to ignore it.

Whenever I get a new phone, I set it up "as new," rather than restoring an iCloud backup. Yes, it takes a lot more time, and it's far less convenient than just restoring the backup; but I've never had any issues like what you're experiencing. Every few upgrades, I will try restoring a backup of the old phone (especially if I'm trading the old phone in, thus don't have the option to keep the old phone while I load things on the new,) and it usually causes enough problems that I end up doing a full wipe and setting up as new within a week.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

You make some great points. I think many find the convenience factor easier to restore than set up as new, being they dont want to invest the time in setting up as a new device. Where as others, actually have no idea restore is doing more harm than good.

14. Low country thread starter macrumors 6502

Guys...If I set up as new and don't restore from an iCloud backup how do my contacts, photos and other iCloud items get into the phone?
    Thanks

15. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

When you log into your Apple ID it will put your contacts, I know that for sure.

16. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

I have to say that my 7 plus that wasn't restored from a backup is super laggy and stuttering all over. Core Apps, 3rd party apps, animations. It's super annoying and distracting.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not normal, bring it to Apple to have it checked out.