Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
So I just discovered an app called "Air Video" today and its freaking amazing! I can stream all of my movies that I have on my tower to my iPad and it works FLAWLESSLY!

Apparently I'm the last one to discover this app since all my friends were like "Ya I've had that for awhile now" but I was super excited and just wanted to share incase anyone on here never saw it.

Its only $3 and now I have all of my family guys on my iPad without taking up space :D

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
It's cool but I stopped using it because Plex 9 came out for OS X and now I can stream using their iOS app which is much better than AirVideo. It automatically organizes all my media which is nice, plus it can also stream iTunes music from my Mac so it's pretty awesome.

Only problem is it's still a little buggy, but either way I stopped using AirVideo.

So in a way, you are not only late to the party, but you might have missed the boat! Unless of course you don't use OS X or don't care about using Plex.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Lol! I figured I was pretty late to the party ;)

Oh well I'm still fascinated by it :D I'm burning more of my DVD collection as we speak. I like this not so new-fangled streaming video thing :)

Dodgeroo

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Air Video is awesome. However a nice complement is Streamtome, which does a very similar job, but additionally streams audio too, which is the one thing I was missing from Air Video.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Air video is the best app on the app store.

You've obviously not heard of Bebot. ;)

Need to try this Plex thing mentioned above - sounds a bit more flexible than AirVideo. Whether it works as seamlessly and has such a communicative developer is another thing.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Was using Air Video, but now have switched to ZumoCast simply for the reason that it could stream my music collection too. The music streaming interface is incredibly well done. There's a few glitches with songs not be ordered correctly, or artwork not all showing up, but for an app that was just released earlier this month, it's pretty good. The video however leaves something to be desired. It's not nearly up to the quality that Air Video was and because of that, I find playing video on it completely distracting.

I'll look into Plex. It sounds interesting. I want one app/sever combo that does it all and does it well. I don't want to switch into different apps to stream different types of things nor do I want to run multiple server programs on my computer either. So, my search continues for the perfect solution.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I've been using it for about a month now, and I love it! It works great but I think I'll try some of the others mentioned on here to see what suites me best.

One reason I chose Air Video is because I have a home NAS drive (3TB) where I stream all my movies through to my network. Air Video made it possible to watch them on my iPad, but I have yet to figure out the remote connection so I can watch them anywhere using my iPhone 4.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
That's one thing in ZumoCast's favor....there is nothing to figure out. It just works. Played my music collection on my iPad from within a car driving down the highway over 3G. Worked flawlessly. I wish I had had time to try some video too, but traffic wasn't bad at all so my friend got us to our destination quicker then I thought she would! I might walk down the street tomorrow and see how it performs cause I am kinda curious. But for music at least, it was wonderful.

nataliamck

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
A little off topic...

This question is a little off topic but still related to Air Video...

What router are you guys using to stream from your mac to your iPad?

I'm thinking of getting the Apple Airport Extreme but I really just need one that allows me to connect more than one device at a time. My current Belkin one is so old it only allows one connection at a time :eek:

Many thanks for any replies

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Right now I have an old linksys WRT54G wireless router but also have an airport extreme that I will hook up when I get my own place which is hopefully soon....

WiseDuck

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
I recently bought StreamToMe for 3 bucks. As far as I know it's the only app that also supports the VGA adapter. I intend to order a VGA adapter off eBay next week and use it whenever me and my friends get together and game etc. Also, it's a universal app so you only need to pay for it once.

It's going to be so sweet, no need to ever convert movies again and hope the 360 can play them.

Check it out, the app works very well and 720p movies look great when streamed over Wifi!

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
i have air video and zumocast. both work great. air video will actually output audio and video through the apple composite or component cables. haven't tested it with zumocast yet, as someone is borrowing my cable.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I use the free version of Air Video, but this thread has several alternatives that I'm definitely going to check out. Thanks to everyone for posting your favorites!

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
I use the free version of Air Video, but this thread has several alternatives that I'm definitely going to check out. Thanks to everyone for posting your favorites!

zumocast is free period. can't go wrong.

vw195

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Air Video is awesome.. Another app, more expensive yet more versatile is playon.tv which allows streaming of anything including hulu and espn3. Pretty cool

rikmac

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2010
Florida
I have also been using Air Video and never had a problem. Saying that now I will probably jinxs myself...

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Sorry to bump this thread...

But all these apps mentioned, is there a range (distance) that they will
only work in?

In other words, can I stream from my home computer to my iPad
on vacation? On a flight?

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
You're kidding right? You stream over a wi-fi network. How far does your wi-fi stream?

As far as you want it too as long as you have either a wi-fi or 3G connection at the other end. I have streamed stuff from my home Mac to my iPad while 60 miles away in a car traveling down a highway. NICE!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.