Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnkree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Austria
Arrrgh... I was walking, having my Macbook in the bag in which I carry it around, but I forgot to close the zip. It slipped out of it and fell to the concrete full of loose gravel. It is working but it has dents and scratches all over the body.
Is there a way to get a new aluminium body for it? What would you do?
I'm so angry right now because I'm so overprotective with this stuff and there isn't a single device I manage to keep save. I'm so clumsy... Maybe I should start using stuff and not trying to protect it. It will happen anyways sooner or later.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Is it still working completely?
Just use it then. I got my MBP replaced once (twice) and the third day I had it my bag dropped 7 feet to the bathroom floor in my university. Bend chassis, screen and all. Since then I stopped caring about its outer condition. Now it’s scratched and everything and I couldn’t care less, I feel so relieved every time I stop babysitting one of my iDevices and just use it as the tool it is.
If you don’t plan on selling it later just don’t care. Use it. Wear (and tear) just adds character. Also it lowers the risk of someone wanting to steal it ?

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I say keep it and buy a hard shell / skin to go over your MacBook and cover up the scratches / dents. You'll know what's hiding underneath, but nobody else will. Eventually you'll be able to focus on using the MacBook again rather than lamenting the blemishes.
This.. If it still works without any issues, cover the scratches and move on.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Put some stickers on it. Unless the screen is damaged just use it. You will go insane if you worry about every scratch. I’m saying this from experience because I just noticed that my iMac charger that sits on the floor is being scratched. The first thing that came to my head as should I buy a new charger. So I’m going to spend $100+ for a new charger? No way I quickly put it out of my head.

Use it and enjoy it! Do whatever you do with this thing and have fun doing it. If it’s a work machine then use it for work.

Now if it doesn’t close properly or perhaps the screen or ports are damaged then consider replacing it. You would spend more money trying to replace the case then just buying a new one

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
If you're that clumsy then a) start investing in some harder-wearing protection for your devices and b) try to stop worrying about it so much. we buy these things to use, and sometimes they're going to get bumps and scratches. If you want pristine electronics, your best bet is to keep them in the box.

Failing that you can get things like Otterbox cases for phones and hard shell plastic covers for Macs that will minimise damage.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
Do you have Applecare? If so they can replace your macbook.

This couldn’t be farther from the truth. Apple will almost never REPLACE a whole computer, whether its a portable mac or a desktop. They will replace certain components on the same computer and charge a flat fee to cover them ($99 for screen damage and $299 for all other damage, in the US at least).

The only instance in which you would get a replacement computer would be if you brought your computer in for repair several times, without it being able to be fixed (Similar to lemon law in cars). Then they may justify replacement of the whole thing, usually a comparable model or the same one.

If there are only dents and scratches you have up to a year to purchase AppleCare+ after you bought the computer. Could be a good option to keep you covered going forward. Otherwise, put a hard case on it and call it a lesson learned :).

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
This couldn’t be farther from the truth. Apple will almost never REPLACE a whole computer, whether its a portable mac or a desktop. They will replace certain components on the same computer and charge a flat fee to cover them ($99 for screen damage and $299 for all other damage, in the US at least).

The only instance in which you would get a replacement computer would be if you brought your computer in for repair several times, without it being able to be fixed (Similar to lemon law in cars). Then they may justify replacement of the whole thing, usually a comparable model or the same one.

If there are only dents and scratches you have up to a year to purchase AppleCare+ after you bought the computer. Could be a good option to keep you covered going forward. Otherwise, put a hard case on it and call it a lesson learned :).
Is it a full year now? ? I thought it was something like 60 days?

Reactions: Reggaenald

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
buy a case to cover it up, if it is still working, I presume the damage is only cosmetic and on the exterior. The case will make it look awesome and protect it from further damage.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
If you're that clumsy then a) start investing in some harder-wearing protection for your devices and b) try to stop worrying about it so much. we buy these things to use, and sometimes they're going to get bumps and scratches. If you want pristine electronics, your best bet is to keep them in the box.

Failing that you can get things like Otterbox cases for phones and hard shell plastic covers for Macs that will minimise damage.
Nah, keep in mind that a lot of cases, especially hard shells, will scratch the device with time. You’d need to clean it every couple of days, imo that’s not worth it to try and keep it pristine. Just use the thing.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
You don't seem to be an avid MacRumors reader, are you? https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/20/applecare-one-year-purchase-option-details/ It's already been a while.
I read the forms occasionally but it looks like I missed this post. I’ll try not to let it happen again ?

It’s pretty smart they require you to bring the device in before they add coverage. Otherwise people would just get it after the damage then request repair

“After 60 days has passed (and before 365 days), ‌AppleCare‌+ can be purchased by taking a device to an Apple retail location with a Genius Bar appointment for an inspection, which is required to get coverage after the 60 day mark. If a device has any accidental damage during the inspection, it needs to be repaired before ‌AppleCare‌+ can be purchased.”

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Nah, keep in mind that a lot of cases, especially hard shells, will scratch the device with time. You’d need to clean it every couple of days, imo that’s not worth it to try and keep it pristine. Just use the thing.
I don't really use cases, but if you're so clumsy that you're constantly dropping stuff, cases can help to protect both the internals from damage and the externals from scratches and dents bigger than those you'd get from day to day use.

Reactions: Reggaenald

johnkree

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2015
Austria
Do you have Applecare? If so they can replace your macbook.
No, I haven't. As much as I know Apple Care wouldn't replace or repair optical damage.

if it still works I would just keep it and use it. You are not going to get good money for a scratched up macbook.
Yea... I think I will just do that. There are no better options...

I say keep it and buy a hard shell / skin to go over your MacBook and cover up the scratches / dents. You'll know what's hiding underneath, but nobody else will. Eventually you'll be able to focus on using the MacBook again rather than lamenting the blemishes.
Maybe I was too overprotective about it. A lot of people I know who don't care at all about their stuff and just use it don't have stuff like this happening to them...

Put some stickers on it. Unless the screen is damaged just use it. You will go insane if you worry about every scratch. I’m saying this from experience because I just noticed that my iMac charger that sits on the floor is being scratched. The first thing that came to my head as should I buy a new charger. So I’m going to spend $100+ for a new charger? No way I quickly put it out of my head.

Use it and enjoy it! Do whatever you do with this thing and have fun doing it. If it’s a work machine then use it for work.

Now if it doesn’t close properly or perhaps the screen or ports are damaged then consider replacing it. You would spend more money trying to replace the case then just buying a new one
Besides the scratches and dents everything is working fine... You're right. It's just a tool. I think I spent too much time admiring its design and look and caring about it getting a scratch. I calmed down a bit.

AppleCare+ will not cover replacements for cosmetic damage that doesn't impact functionality. If it's only the casing that is dented and scratched you will likely have to pay the standard repair charge whether you have AppleCare+ or not.
Yea it's just that. I think it isn't worth the money. Ay, **** happens. It's just that it was such a dumb mistake. Forgetting about the zip.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
No, I haven't. As much as I know Apple Care wouldn't replace or repair optical damage.

Yea... I think I will just do that. There are no better options...

Maybe I was too overprotective about it. A lot of people I know who don't care at all about their stuff and just use it don't have stuff like this happening to them...

Besides the scratches and dents everything is working fine... You're right. It's just a tool. I think I spent too much time admiring its design and look and caring about it getting a scratch. I calmed down a bit.

Yea it's just that. I think it isn't worth the money. Ay, **** happens. It's just that it was such a dumb mistake. Forgetting about the zip.
It’s a beautiful design but it can still have scratches. It’s battle scars! If you hate the sticker idea look up skins. I think dbrand sells fancy skins for the MacBook Air. Of course not cheap like stickers ?‍♂️?

kevcube

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2020
hey you know what the aluminum part of the computer is called? "The case."

It's meant to handle these kinds of things. All the important components are fine. Now your computer has character.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.