I Just Got Held Up @ Gun-Point..Literally.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HappyDude20, Oct 22, 2010.

1. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm not too sure why I'm posting this here, thinking posting a thread about it might diminish the event that just took place....however my buddy who was with me at the time (no more than an hour ago), went home w/o saying a word the drive home.

My friend was gonna drop me off but before doing so we parked at some resedential st. to quickly take a piss. (lol).

Rather than immediately get back in the car we decide to lean back against his car's trunk and just catch up. 5 minutes later, a red truck screeches right up to our car. We don't get into cautionary mode; just continue to stand there to see what's going on. The driver get out, wearing the cliche oversized hoodie with a gun in hand asking for us to empty our pockets. My buddy literally had nothing in his pockets and said so. I had my wallet (w/ cards & $120 cash) and my iPod Touch. I really didn't want to give them either however the passenger got out of the car with a gun in his hand too. Being a bit buzzed I hesitated giving him my wallet considering having to call 3 banks to cancel the cards and having to replace my library card and w/e else. Really the main concern was them obtaining my driver's license and them knowing my address.

Bare in mind that train of thought took place no more than 3 seconds while the guy was pointing a gun @ me; not to my face, but more towards stomach...which admittedly did give me that roller coaster drop stomach feeling.

I took out my wallet, wanting to only give him the cash and not my cards and wallet (god, I love(d) my wallet) but did so as them jammed out of there.

I tried to catch their license plate but it was seriously too dark. Plus I wouldn't doubt I was a bit tense in that situation.

We got out of there and called all my banking institutions to cancel my cards; however 2 don't open till 7am-ish to speak w/ a real person.

My buddy was freaking out, replaying the moment in his head...telling me things could've gone very different. He mentioned how they (them w/ them guns) looked just as scared as we were; probably too afraid to actually pull a trigger. Myself, in all honesty feel somewhat rushed with endorphins, considering they really only got away with cash. Yeah it was $120, but you know, it's paper,...it's paper.

It feels kinda good typing this out, getting the thoughts out. It sucks I lost some cash, and though I'm a bit upset that they got my cards making me now call them and ask for replacements...what really off-puts' me if them having my drivers license w/ my address. (I do have a current replacement fortunately)...

Oh well. It happened.

First time ever seeing a gun right up to me and ****.

-

Joie de vivre.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Oh oh, that delay could have got you shot. Not everyone you meet is buzzed and happy-go-lucky.

I think you need to think about this event a little deeper.

3. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I was a bit shocked at the moment that this indeed was taking place.

I'm not defending what happened, simply that my random Thursday all of a sudden turned to this.

I probably won't be able to help looking out maroon trucks on the road while driving.

4. nizz macrumors regular

These things happen. Your friend needs to start carrying some mugging money so he doesn't get hurt one day and you need to start carrying less.

You'll get over it fast though. You do learn to be a little more careful after the first time.

5. Queso macrumors G4

That's exactly the situation where it's best not to react aggressively, since someone only on the verge of controlling himself is more likely to panic. Don't over-analyse after the event. You instinctively did the right thing, and the fact that you were both able to get back in the car and drive away shows that.

Now try and calm down, remember as much as you can, and report everything to the police as soon as possible.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Exactly. The banks may need the police report to verify that your cards were stolen and at what time.

7. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

That was my next concern

If we should file this with the police.

We didn't get a drivers license aside from the color of the truck. As it took place a girl sat in the passenger seat, I saw her silhouette behind them.

Before this whole thing took place they drove by once. Though their windows were tinted I'm pretty sure she wasn't in the truck at the time, assuming the two guys went to pick this girl up. I remember the street and direction they drove to guessing I'd probably be able to drive past that location looking out for that same truck and it's color. I probably wouldn't do that anyways, but it does make me think if the cops would be able to do anything.

So you're saying call them right nowthis very moment? I'd rather wait till morning considering everyone at home is asleep now.

And of course I'd cLl the police station and not 911.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

^ Yes, call now, while it is fresh in your mind. Your memory can play tricks on you, believe it or not. Anything you remember later can be added on.

Wow, well glad you and your buddy are ok. I've never been personally held up but I've had guns pointed at me a few times, two of which were during bank robberies. (freakin' Los Angeles, they don't call it the bank robbery capital of the world for nothing.) Anyway, yeah it does make the heart go a thumping, doesn't it?

You never know what's going on in the head of the person holding the gun. Better to assume they will shoot and keep your cool. The contents of your wallet and iPod can be replaced but blood and organs are decidedly more problematic.

9. Queso macrumors G4

If you don't call immediately at least write as much down as possible whilst the memory is still fresh. However...

This is important.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I find it odd that you have this story and you haven't bothered to call the police. You're probably an underage drinker, you take me as someone very young. I think posting on MR in lieu of actually calling he cops is ridiculous if the story is at all true. Nevertheless, its good that you're ok, but I would start to rethink the whole drinking thing, you don't seem to manage it well.

11. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Sound advice. In fact when I called Citi to cancel they asked if I filed a police report but told them I immediately called them to cancel the card.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, call now, things are fresh.

13. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I'm not!

I'm 22.

Out with a buddy an it took place. It's almost six in the morning and am restless. We didn't call the cops cause we thought, what could they do now? But probably the main reason we didn't call the cops Jacques I've never been in such a situation to call the police.

14. nizz macrumors regular

It really depends on where you are. I called the cops once for my little cousin(12) who got robbed and his mom insisted we report it. The cops didn't come until 2 hours later and asked us maybe 2 minutes worth of questions before leaving.

I never called the cops when stuff happened to me. They are absolutely worthless.

However, if I get robbed in Northern Virginia (Where I am spending most of my days now), I would definitely report it.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ They may do nothing but a police report goes a very long way when you're trying to repair damage done by thieves who have your bank card.

16. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I wouldn't actually expect results, but ...

... the OP will need that paperwork in the coming weeks/months - the sooner the better.

17. nizz macrumors regular

I guess we have different banks and different rules.

I got robbed once where I had 1 citibank mastercard, 1 bankofamerica credit card, and 1 PNC visa debit card. I called all 3 the same night and never had to fill out any kind of paperwork. Nothing was charged except for a big mac meal from Mcdonalds apparently. That was refunded pretty quickly.

The biggest thing that sucks is just waiting in line at the DMV to get a new license IMO. My state doesn't require police report for that either.

18. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

If you need to carry "mugging money" you are in the wrong place at the wrong time...:rolleyes:

-J.-

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

The OP was driving around drunk and peeing in the street around 5 a.m. on a Friday morning. He sounds like the kind of guy who'd have a habit of being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would not call them worthless. The cops know there is very little they can do after the fact but what they can do is gather some basic information that is used to at the very least be used for statical information which is use to determine how to use their very limited resources and man power. Also they are looking for patterns.
    Lets say they get a lot of reports of 2 males of the same race in a red truck over a wider time span. Now they have a pattern and know what to look for. Now each time they collect the report they may not seem like they are doing anything but they are keeping a record and know what to keep an eye out for and when they catch them they have a much longer list of crimes they can charge them for.

21. jim.arrows macrumors regular

The OP wasn't driving, is 22 and was "slightly buzzed" at 2AM (in L.A.) on a Thursday night - yeah, sounds like a real trouble-maker. Judgmental much? Or I guess you were never 22 and had a couple beers and had to pull over to take a leak... wow.

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

you should call the police asap, for many reasons:

- it gives you protection in case anything funny happens with your card/driving license and so on. both economically and legally.
    - these guys might be out on a spree and your info might be important to clarify/reconstruct what they are doing
    - police might already know them (or their truck) and you could help nail them down, and even recover your stuff
    - police would be on the lookout for them -to some extent- and you might prevent other crimes to be committed (which could end up much worse than this)
    - reporting crimes and their location are important for police to draw 'crime maps' to efficiently deploy cops

23. HappyDude20 thread starter macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Thanks for all the replies, serio.

It's almost 8am, just got back from the police station. I filed a report by myself, however the officer got the info of my buddy who was there w/ me and hopefully he can provide further details about the event.

He was really cool and helpful, telling me that most likely it would be slim to none that they'd fine the guys, unless they made themselves present perhaps with another crime.

Before heading to the police station I google'd maps the street where the incident took place. The officer and I discussed about the directions they came and went, at what times...including as close as I could get to describing the 2 guys.

Honestly, I was staring at the first guy's gun. Small, chrome, not revolver..think classic james bond...and def. not bigger than a cop's gun.

My buddy got a better glimpse of the guys, so hopefully he could shed some light on the subject.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Walther PPK, James' gun of choice. :)

Attached Files:

25. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Put that thing on safe ... :eek: :p

OP, I'm glad you got it taken care of and everyone is ok.