I just ordered an iPhone! :D

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Clete2, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Well I've been checking out these forums for a few days now. I just placed an order for a white iPhone 3G (16GB obviously). I've been wanting to get my hands on one of these things since it was rumored that Apple was going to come out with a phone.

At any rate, I'm extremely excited. I have a few questions:

Does AT&T ship on Saturdays? I put in the overnight shipping. :D
    What are some apps that I must have? I hope the organizer allows easy entries as I like to put my homework in my scheduler (maybe I can throw away my agenda?). Is there an app that will do this easily and remind me of upcoming events? Or does the calendar suffice? What other apps will I want to get? I am a computer nerd and a college student (CIS major). I enjoy games and neat utilities and the like. I've collected a few free apps, but what else should I get?

I ordered a gel case (Griffin) and the screen protectors from Power something. Anything else I want? Does it come with the headphones with the mic or do I have to buy those (it wasn't on the list?)?

I'm excited :D.

2. Amt macrumors regular

If you're in to games, you have to buy Galcon. It's amazing! You should go ahead and buy it, since it is 50% off right now. X-Plane 9 and Asphalt 4: Elite Racing are also some nice apps.

3. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

these are some apps that i love

-facebook
    -twitterific
    -asphalt4
    -shazam
    -tap tap revenge
    -sketches
    -marble mash
    -movies

they are all amazing

+ it comes with headphones w/mic
    + make sure you go to the apple site, to get a usb power adapter replacement, because all of them have been recalled, and new ones will be shipped in october

ps. you should be excited, i love my iphone :) (i've got a white one too)

4. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Bah.. I thought the wall adapter was recalled? What was wrong with the USB one? I don't need a wall one.. I am at my computer all day.

Edit: Here are the apps I have acquired so far (man I hope the iPhone ships today + comes in monday that would be awesome.. but it says 2-5 days so I'm aiming for Friday):
    Air Sharing
    CheckPlease (tip calculator)
    Facebook
    Flashlight (yay dead pixel checker)
    Google Mobile App
    Mobile Banking from Bank of America
    Mocha VNC Lite
    Pandora Radio
    Shazam
    Units (conversion)

5. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

Apple USB Power Adapter - is what it's called.
    it is the wall adapter. sorry for the confusion, should'a been a bit more clear :)

6. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

your going to love it!

a tip of mine i guess would be to explore the app. store in depth, there may be an app. in there that you dont read about online but may fit your needs perfectly.

ENJOY

7. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

OH I see it's modular like the iPod's adapter. So I can use USB or wall. Once I get it in, I'll order it (it seems that I need my serial number).

8. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Ok so.. the tracking isn't showing up on AT&T's website and neither is the phone or the order or anything. How long does it generally take for it to show that it's been ordered? The other people on my plan are currently in the AT&T store buying new phones.. I hope the order shows up soon.

9. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

ical should be more than enough for reminding you of events and such. do a search of the forums; there are tons of threads that suggest apps and whatnot. even just browsing itunes by rating will give you a good idea of what other people love.

when you get your phone, could you post your build week? also, when you ordered it online from at&t (premier i'm assuming), did you have to do any changes to your actual plan (besides adding the data plan)? i'm thinking about getting another iphone, now through the premier site, but i don't want to change a thing, especially my grandfathered text messages.

edit: did you notice this on the at&t premier iphone page?:

10. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

I believe that normal text plans will work with the iPhone 3G. I added the "iPhone 1500 texts" but then we removed it because my family got a $35/month unlimited family text plan for up to 4 phones. The rep said it includes the iPhone, so I assume that any text plan can work with an iPhone.

I will post the build week when I get it (how do I find it?).

Yes, I noticed said message. I hope it's wrong because I've heard reports of it shipping the next day. I'm just worried since my order isn't showing up online. :-/ And yes, I use premier.

11. Mac Sux macrumors newbie

i got my iphone from at&ts site and got it in a day with 2 day shipping and it shipped out the night i ordered it so youll probably get it really fast from there

12. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Dude.. awesome. Do they ship on Saturdays?

13. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

iProcrastinate is a good free homework management app, you mentioned wanting something like that.

Other apps i use alot are:
    aim, facebook, wikipanion, tip, scrabble, iFlix, movies, shazam, airsharing

14. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

So: Do they ship on Saturdays?
    And if there's no at-home activation and the closest AT&T store is a 3hr drive away from me (I have no car), how do I activate? I ordered online through my upgrade (premier).

Oh and iProcrastinate looks awesome. I downloaded it so I can stick it on as soon as it comes in. :D

15. narcolept macrumors member

There is in-home activation. Instructions will be in the shipping box, you'll just have to call a premier rep from another phone, leave the iphone and your current att phone powered off, and you'll be all set in about 30 seconds.

Also, since you're itching for an answer -- It doesn't matter if they ship on Saturday, because FedEX likely isn't picking up on Saturdays anyway. If they did, you would've gotten a tracking number around 7pm EST. More than likely, it'll be picked up Monday morning, you'll get tracking information on Monday at 7pm, and it will be delivered Tuesday. Check your order status online if you're unsure.

16. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

I see. Well online status isn't up yet. Thanks for saying it's FedEx. I know where it'll be dropped off now :D (I'm at college and UPS comes to the dorms but FedEx doesn't). Thanks for the answer.

Ahh, ok. I'm glad I can activate over the phone. :) Thank you.

17. Spongey817 macrumors regular

I'll add another suggestion for iProcrastinate: it's easily the best app I've downloaded so far.

It keeps track of my homework, reminds me of upcoming assignments, and will eventually support wireless syncing (the developer posts quite frequently here on MR; check the app forum).

I know you already said you downloaded it...I'm just confirming that it's extremely useful, haha

18. narcolept macrumors member

It's fedex unless you're an employee/your FAN is from USPS/UPS/DHL. In that case, it would be delivered by that carrier.

19. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I cannot see where you can order an iPhone from AT&T online. Link?

20. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Only if you are a Premier customer (e.g. you get a discount from your employer).

21. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Well after a long time of not being able to see my order on the Premier site, I found these things out:

1) The phone help says it's been processed and will ship within 24 hours (it said this Sunday and today)
    2) Here's what the normal AT&T order status says (stupid premier site still won't pull it up): (it's attached)

It wouldn't pull up the order by my premier order #, or even my cell phone #, just my home number. So I'm getting mixed signals from AT&T. This is a horrible means of having to track down an order. And what is FRT anyways Edit: FRT = Freight? :S

So now I have no clue if it's backordered or what. This is frustrating.

Attached Files:

22. narcolept macrumors member

It will show as "will ship within 24 hours", until about 7PM EST, when it should update with a tracking number that will show you progress of more than likely picked up today, etc. With your estimated delivery date, probably tomorrow, since you said you selected overnight.

23. Clete2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Clete2

Well I hope it's today. After 8 or so, I will call AT&T and make sure I speak to a real person to see what's going on.

I just figured if it says backordered, then it wouldn't go out at all today.

24. narcolept macrumors member

My bad, hadn't noticed. You may, in fact, be out of luck for a while. If you do call and it is backordered, you may want to atleast try to get the shipping difference between overnight and regular ground refunded.

25. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

4th and 5th digit of the serial # will tell you your build week.